View Full Version : easySMS

Anthony Caruana
08-08-2003, 01:13 PM
I'm pretty new to the whole bluetooth thing and using a cell phone with my PDA. I just found an app called easySMS (http://www.siedler-net.de/WinCE/easySMS/). It lets you easily send an SMS from your PDA via your cell phone.

This is a really simple app that just does one thing but seems to do it really well.

I am using it with an iPAQ 2210 and a Nokia 6210 (with bluetooth upgrade).

TopDog
08-08-2003, 01:53 PM
Yes, it's great. I've been using it for years, long before bluetooth... then with InfraRed, now with my Socket BT-card and Siemens S55.

You forgot to mention that it also recieves messages and deletes them from the mobile (if you want it to).

Anthony Caruana
08-08-2003, 02:37 PM
You forgot to mention that it also recieves messages and deletes them from the mobile (if you want it to).

I haven't quite figured out those features yet. Are they phone dependent? easySMS gives me an error saying "Can't read from SMS-memory"

However I can easily send messages and keep message templates. I like that it uses the mobile numbers from my address book.

TopDog
08-08-2003, 08:47 PM
I haven't quite figured out those features yet. Are they phone dependent? easySMS gives me an error saying "Can't read from SMS-memory" Yes it is. Have you tried marking for "get SMS from Mobile-memory" ? That did the trick for me on my Siemens S55...

Anthony Caruana
08-09-2003, 01:54 AM
Thanks for the response. I have sent a note to the developer letting him know what sort of phone and PDA I am using. Even though the ability to send an sms is really nice, to be able to receive would be brilliant for me as I receive network and system alerts via sms for systems at work.

holo
08-13-2003, 08:37 AM
...as the website refers only to PC 2002 i haved emailed and asked if 2003 is supported. I will let you know what i find out.

Vaughan
01-22-2005, 07:08 PM
has anyone been able to get this combination to work with the blue tooth feature

it locks my ppc and I have to do a soft reset
:roll:

works fine with infra red

Menneisyys
01-22-2005, 10:57 PM
has anyone been able to get this combination to work with the blue tooth feature

it locks my ppc and I have to do a soft reset
:roll:

works fine with infra red

1, The S55 or the 6210?
2, are you using the serial port on the phone, and not its DUN profile? If yes, a lot of BT apps seemingly 'freeze' when you try to choose the port after choosing the right device. A solution to this is using the DUN profile instead of the COM port, because, then, no device chooser screen will be displayed as there can be only one DUN device assigned to a BT device at the same time at the BTC1: virtual port, unlike with COM6/8, the serial ports.

In a word,

1. discover the DUN service of your phone and start it at least once so that the PDA registers BTC1:. You don't need to have a working Net subscription for this; you may throw it any non-existing number. The point is that it tries to connect for anything, even if only for a second.

2. configure easySMS to use BTC1: instead of the serial port.

Vaughan
01-23-2005, 11:26 PM
using the 6210

sorry for being thick but whats the DUN profile

Menneisyys
01-24-2005, 09:50 AM
using the 6210

sorry for being thick but whats the DUN profile

DUN means Dial-Up Networking. All modems (also meaning mobile phones) have this kind of service.

Using the DUN profile instead of the serial port profile to send/receive messages / manage mobile phones has several advantages and disadvantages over the 'traditional' serial port access.

Pros:

- no device / port chooser screen is displayed, and, therefore,
- your device won't 'crash'

Cons:

- if you have mnore than one BT-enabled mobile phones, you'll only able to use one at a time, without explicitly switching to another in Bluetooth Manager.

As your case seems to be the classic example of system crash upon serial device/port choosing, you should configure EasySMS to use DUN instead. This also requires that you create a DUN profile in Bluetooh Manager so that EasySMS is able to access it.

BTW, if you speak Hungarian, I PM you the URL of one of my articles on this subject. Unfortunately, I have no time to translate/rewrite/update all that into English in the near future (the article is some 70k chars long).

Vaughan
02-05-2005, 08:10 PM
thanks for that

sorry I don't speak Hungarian

morpheus
02-17-2005, 02:46 AM
I have been using this for quite a while originally with my SE T68i, and then my SE Z600 on contract with O2 UK and it worked flawlessly. Unfortunately I have just upgraded to a Samsung D500 and trying to receive SMS messages with it locks up my IPAQ H2210 and whilst I can send a message it seems to leave the phone in a weird state which prevents any other BT DUN connections working afterwards without turning the phone on or off. I've downloaded the demo of SimpleSMS which seems to work fine but I would be very happy if easySMS could be made to work.

I have mailed the author with a description of the problem and my hardware, hopefully he will be able to solve the problem. However I would still recommend it for anyone wanting a no-nonsense, SMS only app.

Morpheus