View Full Version : 2215 - does yours turn on when inserting or removing a CF card?

DualShock
08-08-2003, 07:21 AM
Anyone with a microdrive and a 2215 experience this? With your iPAQ off, insert the microdrive. Mine turns on for some reason. It also happens when you try to remove the CF card when the iPAQ is off. For me, this is very annoying.

I haven't tried it yet with other CF cards (regular flash cards, 802.11 cards, etc.) Does it happen with those also?

Kati Compton
08-08-2003, 07:25 AM
It happens with the Axim as well, and isn't a "malfunction". I suspect it's the same for your unit.

Anthony Caruana
08-08-2003, 07:35 AM
Yep - happend with both CF and SD cards. I find it really annoying with the SD cause it ejects with any downward pressure so I have to be careful as I push the unit into its case

robepps
08-09-2003, 12:16 AM
My 2215 turns on any time I insert or remove a CF or SD card as well. It *is* rather annoying! Can this "feature" be disabled?

Kati Compton
08-09-2003, 12:20 AM
I don't personally know of one. I would doubt that there is a way to do it - I think it's a hardware thing. I could be wrong, though.

Shadowcat
08-09-2003, 12:29 AM
That's interesting. I have a H3630 with a CF expansion pack and my iPAQ doens't turn on when I insert a CF card in it.

Kati Compton
08-09-2003, 12:33 AM
Might be a function of it being an expansion back instead of part of the unit... Or perhaps not all brands/models do this.

msprague
08-09-2003, 01:57 AM
My Maestro powers on for the CF card, but not for the SD card.

Dazbot
08-09-2003, 01:03 PM
I'd like an option to stop this aswell.

carphead
08-09-2003, 09:12 PM
Having done some tests with a CF-SD Adaptor I've worked it out to be a voltage change issue. Putting the CF-SD Adaptor in the CF slot (with IPAQ turned off) it doesn't do anything. When I put a SD Card into the adaptor the IPAQ turns on.

My thinking behind this is that if you had a GSM CF Card (with it's own power source) installed and a call came in the GSM Card could turn on the IPAQ. 8)

Regards,
Daniel

rpommier
08-09-2003, 09:29 PM
Mine does... Maybe it's a 'Feature'

Zathras
08-10-2003, 03:06 PM
I read on a Brighthand forum that this is a feature. Apparently when you remove or add a memory card the 2215 must register the card's removal or contents so it can keep track of the files. Otherwise you would remove one card, then insert another, but you would still be showing the contents of the first card.

The Brighthand thread guy said that the Jornada's worked this way, so their engineers must have designed in this feature.

CESkins
08-10-2003, 04:31 PM
Zathras (clearly a big B5 fan ;) ) that's the reason why. In cases, where a card is removed from a slot and a second inserted without the unit powering on, the second card is renamed StorageCard2/SD Card2...any applications that were installed on the 1st card (even if they are installed in the same location on the second card) will not run because the registry entries will point to Storage Card/SD Card. The only way for the PocPC to register the changes that take place with the insertion or removal of a card is to turn on and go through the initialization process.

Zathras
08-10-2003, 07:30 PM
Great explanation CESkins.

A B5 fan? Who?, me? Oh, baby, Ivanova :)

"Yes, yes, Zathras is used to being beast of burden to other people's needs. Very sad life. Probably have very sad death, but at least there is symmetry."

CESkins
08-10-2003, 09:41 PM
So do you really think Sheridan was "taken bodily into heaven"? What do you think Lorien did to him at Coriana 6? Did Kosh really die after all he sent Sheridan a message on the Drazi Day of the Dead? Also what is truly meant by "beyond the rim". Does that mean passing beyond the galactic rim or beyond the veil of death? Hate to take this thread off topic. You can drop me a line by PPCT personal mail. There are a million ? I have about B5.

Kati Compton
08-10-2003, 10:45 PM
B5, eh? This could be a long discussion. ;) Please either take the B5 discussion to PM (as you suggested), or you could start a new thread in "Off-Topic" about it, and talk about it there all you want. Thanks! :)

Zathras
08-10-2003, 11:04 PM
Hehe. I don't remember B5 that much in depth. It was a fantastic show. I didn't watch it when it first came out. I saw previews and Landau's hair looked so ridiculous I didn't watch it. I got hooked on it later when it went into syndication.

I haven't seen the show in years. Time to watch it through again. Anyone know of a network that is about to start playing it from the start again?

SHoTTa35
08-11-2003, 12:17 AM
hehe, /ontopic

this is a bug if you ask me and should be complained about. I put my ipaq in the case and I hit the SD card and i gotta take it out the case, put the sd back in then turn it off then push it back in the case... drives me a lil nuts sometimes but i've gotten the hang of it now not to get the SD card when i put it in the sleeve**