View Full Version : Setting up my own wireless "hotspot" ;)

aexidic
08-08-2003, 12:59 AM
During the school year I live in a college dorm. I got myself an iPaq 2210 recently, and it got me thinking...

I need to set up a wireless network in my dorm (and surrounding area).

Now I'm looking for soemthing relatively in-expensive and practical (range and speed important too). I can get an SMC 4 port wireless router with print server, and a CF wireless card for my PPC. This way I can split my internet connection (by wiring my PC into a router port while still being able to connect wirelessly with my PPC.) I was also wondering if I'd be able to print via the print server port? (you need to install drivers to make this work... wondering if I could find some drivers compatible with the PPC, so it can print too)

SMC router = ~$70 US
Linksys WCF12 = ~$69 US
--------------------------------
Grand total = $139 US + tax

(I'm a little hesitant with using the linksys in my iPaq 2210... the proven and worthy Socket 'Low Power' wireless lan card is $169 US though... more than double... which would make my total $239 USD + tax... :? And if you people think the SMC router plain sucks I guess I'll have to buy a more expensive one too :( Maybe 2 linksys products would work well together... (PPC 2003 issues aside) If I can't print with the iPaq wirelessly via the print server then the SMC is pretty useless to me.

I don't know much about Bluetooth, but I was thinking... Could I get a bluetooth access point and somehow create a link between my computer and the PPC? the whole point being to share the internet, NOT to sync information. I have a bad feeling that this option would cost me a lot... but then again my PDA has bluetooth, so no CF card required.

Could you guys help me with this issue? What would be the best idea, and best hardware to use to get the job done (please, not too expensive...) I want to be able to sit outside my front door and breath in fresh air while checking my e-mail on the PPC ;) Also, would security be a problem? I wouldn't want anyone besides me and my buddies to tap into this 'hotspot'

Pony99CA
08-08-2003, 06:42 AM
I can get an SMC 4 port wireless router with print server, and a CF wireless card for my PPC. This way I can split my internet connection (by wiring my PC into a router port while still being able to connect wirelessly with my PPC.) I was also wondering if I'd be able to print via the print server port? (you need to install drivers to make this work... wondering if I could find some drivers compatible with the PPC, so it can print too)

SMC router = ~$70 US
Linksys WCF12 = ~$69 US
--------------------------------
Grand total = $139 US + tax

(I'm a little hesitant with using the linksys in my iPaq 2210... the proven and worthy Socket 'Low Power' wireless lan card is $169 US though... more than double... which would make my total $239 USD + tax... :? And if you people think the SMC router plain sucks I guess I'll have to buy a more expensive one too :( Maybe 2 linksys products would work well together... (PPC 2003 issues aside) If I can't print with the iPaq wirelessly via the print server then the SMC is pretty useless to me.
You didn't say what model SMC router you were looking at. I have an SMC 7004AWBR wireless router, and haven't had any problems with it.

I haven't installed the print server, though, so I can't help much with that.

I don't know much about Bluetooth, but I was thinking... Could I get a bluetooth access point and somehow create a link between my computer and the PPC? the whole point being to share the internet, NOT to sync information. I have a bad feeling that this option would cost me a lot... but then again my PDA has bluetooth, so no CF card required.
Bluetooth access points tend to be more expensive, and will likely have less range.

Also, would security be a problem? I wouldn't want anyone besides me and my buddies to tap into this 'hotspot'
Ensure WEP is on, turn on MAC filtering so only your friends can connect and turn off SSID broadcasting (if your SMC router allows that; mine doesn't). That should keep all but the most dedicated hackers out.

Of course, if your campus already has pervasive WiFi, all of this may be moot.

Steve

vovillamor
08-08-2003, 04:57 PM
This kind of sounds like an interesting project. I don't really want to offer any advice, but share some exeriences.

What kind in internet connection do you have?
If you have a single ethernet connection to your dorm, and you want to share the connection among other devices, the you'll need a router in addition to your Wi-Fi access point. The router will take you single internet connection (single IP address) and then assign other IP addresses to your other devices so that they can use the single internet connection.
Many Wi-Fi access points include the router feature. Just look for it in the specs.

If print capabilites are important to you, then you might want to look into getting a Wi-Fi access point/router with a built-in server. Sure, you could also turn on the print-sharing capability on an attached computer, but a print server would mean that you wouldn't have to keep the shared computer on all the time to provide print services to the network. I've seen add-on wireless print servers for $100 or more, but I've also seen Wi-Fi access points/routers that have a built-in print server for less than $100. Such a device would be worth looking for, especially since it would cost more to add later, and it would mean one less piece of hardware to wire up.

As far as Bluetooth, I've seen Bluetooth access points for about $125, and Bluetooth USB adapters for about $40 (and I assume you PDA would have Bluetooth built-in). I considered buying a Bluetooth access point and one of the new Bluetooth Ipaq's once. I believe the range is comparable to Wi-Fi, but the speed is considerable slower for a computer network (yet more than adequate for internet access). After installing my Wi-Fi network, I decided to go Wi-Fi all the way, including someday upgrading to a PocketPC with built-in Wi-Fi. The only reason I looked into Wi-Fi was because wanted to use Bluetooth between my a cell phone and PDA, and then from PDA to network to internet.

Anyways...let us know how far along you are in this project.

hogwild
08-08-2003, 05:56 PM
Ah, the WIFI/Bluetooth debate... So with Bluetooth, must you have a true access point device for connectivity with other Bluetooth devices, or can you simply connect a Bluetooth USB device to your PC allowing it to "talk" with other devices? Make sense?

vovillamor
08-08-2003, 06:51 PM
Ah, the WIFI/Bluetooth debate... So with Bluetooth, must you have a true access point device for connectivity with other Bluetooth devices, or can you simply connect a Bluetooth USB device to your PC allowing it to "talk" with other devices? Make sense?

Here's what I understand about Bluetooth connectivity:
With Bluetooth (B/T), several B/T devices can communicate with each other to transfer information. When you start throwing in other devices, then it starts getting complicated. For example, with a B/T phone, you can use the address book on your PDA to dial phone numbers, and use a B/T hands-free headset to talk on. But you can't have them all connected at the same time...After you use you PDA to dial a number, you'll have to drop the B/T connection before being able to use the B/T hands-free headset.

When you start talking about networking computers with B/T, then it gets a little more complicated. You can set up B/T between a B/T PDA and B/T PC, and then share the internet connection on the B/T PC. That way the PDA can access the Internet through the PC. This would require that the PC be always on, and from what I've experienced, turning on internet sharing on a computer takes its toll on the computer's performance. On the other hand, if you have a B/T access point in conjunction with an Internet connection, then it pretty much functions and is wired the same as a Wi-Fi network. Again, B/T's data transfer rate is less than 10 time slower than Wi-Fi, but is still faster than most broadband internet connections.

The only reason I was considering a Bluetooth network was because I thinking of getting a Bluetooth cell phone and PDA setup, and wanted to take the next step and integrate bluetooth in my home network. I still might do this in the future if I find a decent [and affordable] Bluetooth phone. For now, Wi-Fi has my primary attention.

All-in-all, my opinion about Wi-Fi and Bluetooth is that Wi-Fi is better at computer networking because of its faster data transfer rate, where Bluetooth is meant to connect to a wider range of devices with different capabilities...and not just for networking capabilities.

aexidic
08-08-2003, 07:06 PM
my dorm connection? ehh, can't say right now... It's most probably a super high-speed line shared by everyone in my apartement-style dorm. So I'm guessing that'll work out to 'decent' speeds per dorm.

Since it's apartement style (the place isn't huge, pretty small really), I can easily share my 'hotspot' with people several rooms away from me or a few floors bellow or above me (depending where my room will be exactly. moving in on Aug 30th) Either way the 'serviced' area around my access point will probably reach a LOT of people's rooms. Which makes this REALLY cool. I primarily want to use it for PDA access but I could also share files, etc with others a few floors down right? That makes this idea even better ;)

The SMC router model I'm looknig at?
--> SMC7004AWBR - Barricade™ 4-Port 11Mbps Wireless Broadband Router (/w Print server)

But as I said, if there are no print server drivers for PPC, then I mgiht as well get a Linksys or soemthing with better range. I only want the printer server to print wirelessly from the PPC.

ya I read up now that Bluetooth usualy has worse range... But wouldn't I be saving LOTS of battery life by using the built in bluetooth rather than a CF wireless card? (which I hear realy kills batteries, unless you get the insanely overpriced Socket card)

vovillamor:
A bluetooth access point would solve the 'using multiple BT devices at once' problem right?

Ya, BT seems to be a little less appealing... actauly far less appealing... The only reason I considered it was because it would cost me less money to set up, AND I think it would save me battery life

vovillamor
08-08-2003, 08:40 PM
Since it's apartement style (the place isn't huge, pretty small really), I can easily share my 'hotspot' with people several rooms away from me or a few floors bellow or above me (depending where my room will be exactly. moving in on Aug 30th) Either way the 'serviced' area around my access point will probably reach a LOT of people's rooms. Which makes this REALLY cool. I primarily want to use it for PDA access but I could also share files, etc with others a few floors down right? That makes this idea even better ;)

But as I said, if there are no print server drivers for PPC, then I mgiht as well get a Linksys or soemthing with better range. I only want the printer server to print wirelessly from the PPC.

ya I read up now that Bluetooth usualy has worse range... But wouldn't I be saving LOTS of battery life by using the built in bluetooth rather than a CF wireless card? (which I hear realy kills batteries, unless you get the insanely overpriced Socket card)

vovillamor:
A bluetooth access point would solve the 'using multiple BT devices at once' problem right?

Ya, BT seems to be a little less appealing... actauly far less appealing... The only reason I considered it was because it would cost me less money to set up, AND I think it would save me battery life

If your speaking of a dormatory, I assume your on your way to earning a higher education...Good luck with those endeavors.

Aside from the technical aspects of operating a Wi-Fi hotspot out of your dorm room, you might want to consult with your dorm's network system administrator about the operational considerations about the hotspot. You might have to justify way some much bandwith is being used by a single room...just say it's all for the purpose of higher education (and entertainment).

Most Wi-Fi software will include some type of signal meter. With this meter, you can walk around the vicinity of your access point with your PDA and see what its range is, whether it two rooms down the all, or two stories down the stairs.

As far as printing from a PocketPC, you won't find any PocketPC print drivers from any of the printer manufacturers. You'll need to use a third part software package...try looking at PrintBoy:
http://www.bachmannsoftware.com/pbce.htm
This one costs $40, but it seems to have all the print and connectivity features you want for you PocketPC.
And I'd probably stick to buying an access point that includes a print server. Like I say, it'll cost you more to add it later. And with the print server, you'd be able to print from anywhere on the network without having to keep a dedicated computer on to share the printer.

A Bluetooth access point would solve the problem of multiple internet devices accessing the internet at once, like several PDAs or laptops logging on. I don't think it would do any good in that example I gave about a B/T cell phone, PDA and hands-free headset.

I was always under the impression that Bluetooth had a similar range to Wi-Fi 802.11b. Just like there are different versions of Wi-Fi (802.11a, b, and g) there are also different grades of Bluetooth. Wi-Fi 802.11a has faster data transfer, but shorter range, while 802.11b is the opposite. 802.11g has both speed and range. I've read that Bluetooth has different versions and ranges as well, but I'm a little vague on their specs.
I probably wouldn't set up a Bluetooth network for computer networking, but also, I wouldn't discount Bluetooth for other purposes just yet.

Pony99CA
08-08-2003, 09:50 PM
I was always under the impression that Bluetooth had a similar range to Wi-Fi 802.11b. Just like there are different versions of Wi-Fi (802.11a, b, and g) there are also different grades of Bluetooth. Wi-Fi 802.11a has faster data transfer, but shorter range, while 802.11b is the opposite. 802.11g has both speed and range. I've read that Bluetooth has different versions and ranges as well, but I'm a little vague on their specs.
That's true, there are different classes of Bluetooth. I think Type 1 (or Class 1 or Class A, whatever!) has the same range as WiFi (300 feet), while Type 2 is the more common 30-foot range. That's why I said he'd likely have a shorter range; I don't know what class the Bluetooth access points fall into.

Another problem with Bluetooth is speed. Bluetooth is about 768 kpbs, while 802.11b can hit 11 mbps. Even if you're not too close, you can still get 1 mbps.

Steve

aexidic
08-08-2003, 10:00 PM
thnaks for the link, looks promising :)

As for any discrepancies between me and the sys admin, I don't think there will be any. I'm capped at something like 500 MB a week (obviously the connection is for educational purposes only) but even if a few PPCs use the connection, I doubt it'll ever use up more than a handful of MBs. Actauly even if a few laptops are added to the mix I still doubt it'll go over 500 MB of traffic (supossing they only check e-mail, read news, do research. which they will, since it'll be people I know) And if problems arise, I can *legaly* boost my limit to 1GB a week, though I'd rather not, for various reasons...

On my PC? Well if I occasionaly play an online game... (20 MB of traffic a week) download a handfull of MP3s (50 MB a week) and download misc patches, upgrades, or small files (50 MB a week) I'll still have a good 380 MB of traffic left to check e-mail, do research and allow for use to other PPCs (or laptops)

Anything that's transfered or done between PCs and laptops will be local traffic, which will not affect my bandwidth limit.

I think I can make this work...

---{edit}---
actually, after reading Pony99CA's post it got me thinking... If I set up a realy slow connection (bluetooth speed, or 1mbps WiFi if it lets you cap the speed) that would still allow for all the necessary online tasks to be done, AND would limit bandwith use on the network. I mean if someone wants fast speeds, all they need to do is go into their room and hardwire themselves into their own connection. But for people who want to sit outside and read the news (etc...) 1mpbs should do the trick

vovillamor
08-08-2003, 10:01 PM
. I think Type 1 (or Class 1 or Class A, whatever!) has the same range as WiFi (300 feet), while Type 2 is the more common 30-foot range. That's why I said he'd likely have a shorter range; I don't know what class the Bluetooth access points fall into.

Another problem with Bluetooth is speed. Bluetooth is about 768 kpbs, while 802.11b can hit 11 mbps. Even if you're not too close, you can still get 1 mbps.

Steve

I think, if anything, the range of a Bluetooth access point would be greater than the range of Bluetooth on a portable device. With that being the case, your Bluetooth operating range is only as good as the range on the device that you're using.

Also, under normal conditions, 768 kbps is still good for normal internet access, given a good Bluetooth signal. Not many broadband connections exceed 1Mbps. Then again, the network connection in the dorm might be well over 1Mbps.

I've also found that I can consistently hit 11Mbps from my Wi-Fi access point in the front room of my house to my backyard 100feet away and through 4 walls, while getting less than 2 Mbps in certain areas in the livingroom next door to the front room. I think a lot depends on the environment of the Wi-Fi network.

Pony99CA
08-09-2003, 03:13 AM
I think, if anything, the range of a Bluetooth access point would be greater than the range of Bluetooth on a portable device.
I just did a :google: search on bluetooth access point, and most of the hits seemed to be Class 1 devices, so you may be right. However, I saw one access point that claimed a 60-foot range, so not all Bluetooth access points appear to be Class 1.

With that being the case, your Bluetooth operating range is only as good as the range on the device that you're using.
I remember someone connecting Type 1 and Type 2 devices saying they got well over 30 feet, so the range may be better than the weakest link.

Steve

darrylb
08-09-2003, 10:01 AM
I have one of the belkin Bt USB dongles (type 2) and the range is compaible to my wifi network.

The belkin Dongle was around US$59.

I have a DSL connection that is slower than that and i get far better battery life out of my 2210.

I suggest you look into one of these devices it is hard to beat on a price/performance basis for what it sounds like you want to do.