View Full Version : Ipaq 5455/2215 + WME2003 Questions...

Kitrik
08-06-2003, 11:33 PM
I am looking to buy an Ipaq to replace a Visor Edge I have right now. I want a fast PPC so I can stream MP3's from my computer to my handheld whenever I am connected to it via an access point (which is quite often at college).

I am debating between the 5455 and 2215. The 2215 is obviously faster right now - but the specs are the same! With the latest Firmware update and WME2003 installed on the 5455 does it get any faster or at least come close to the speeds of the 2215?

Also - the 2215 does not come with a WiFi built in - how awkward is it to have that as an expansion in the CF slot? I am looking at the 2215 with a D-Link or Linksys WiFI CF card. How much extra size (inches...) does it add to the unit?

Battery concerns - which one is going to last longer: the 5455 with WiFi built in or the 2215 with a CF WiFi card?

Any help/comments are greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!

Kitrik

dh
08-07-2003, 01:28 AM
One of the main reasons for not upgrading my Axim to a 2210, is the 2210 lack of embedded WiFi.

Swapping cards around gets to be a pain. I swop my CF card for my WiFi card many times a day, both in the office and when traveling.

For me, two expansion slots and embedded WiFi are essential. The only PPC that meets that right now is the e750 which I'm not thrilled with.

If the 2210 had both radios, I would buy one right away. I believe the planned 4100 series Ipaq will be just what I want, unless Dell beat them to it.

I think the 2215 will be faster than an upgraded 5455. It was designed for WM2003, which is not the case with the 5455.

brianchris
08-07-2003, 01:35 AM
Having integrated WiFi is sweeet, could live with cf wifi, but.... :roll:

The 2215 has a slightly newer (faster?), battery friendly processor (PXA255 vs. PXA250).

Maybe the 5555 is the best choice for you? Integrated WiFi, newest processor, WM2003, and 128MB RAM!!!!! (which helps keep lots of program memory free, even after installing lots of apps data....program memory keeps thing fast 8)

-Brian

Kitrik
08-07-2003, 01:55 AM
The 5555 is too rich for my blood unfortunately. I have a few good deals that have come my way for a 5455 (about $260 - good condition) and I am debating on whether or not to jump on it...

The 2215 is retail $400 and the hype is keeping their prices pretty close to that. I foresee that in a month or two their prices dropping below $300 and and closer to about $275 (ebay).

So - I can get both handhelds for about the same price. What is this about the 4100 series? When is their ETA? I will do some searching on google about them...

Can someone with a 5455 tell me if the speed of that handheld is something I should be concerned about? I'm going to be using it mostly for internet browsing and music listening and gaming. Eventually I will hopefully be doing PowerPoint Presentations off of it (Margi's Presenter-To-Go CF card on a CF expansion pack is only about $50!). It has 400MHz - the most of any processor at this moment. But, as we all know, MHz is not the only thing that matters...

Thanks for the comments! Keep em comin!

Kitrik

CorysWorld
08-07-2003, 06:19 AM
Kitrik,

I think I am in the same situation as you; I am a college student and have access to a Wi-Fi Network and really want a PCC. I have been going crazy trying to figure out what to get.
I got the 2215 for my birthday and I loved it. The size is fantastic, I want something I can carry around with me, but I really want build-in Wi-Fi. (btw, I returned the 2215 so I could decide what I want to do) For about $120 you can buy a SDIO WLAN card for the 2215 which are tiny but I really do not want to switch out the card when I have it in a case, but I do not know how offen i will use wireless. The 5555 or 5455 have the built in Wi-Fi but they are just to big to carry in the pocket, plus the 5555 is way to expensive and I do not like the toshiba PPC's. It is rumored that Dell is coming out with a new Axim X7 this fall that will have built in Wi-Fi. I do not have any idea when or if it will still be the large block that the X5 is or it will be nice to carry and look at. People are buzzing about a iPaq 4xxx but no info has really surfaced about it (I think it may have a built in Keyboard), If anyone has info please post.
So to sum this up I really an going crazy because I want one now but I really want built-In Wi-Fi in a small package. I am leaning towards waiting but that is what I always do and never end up satisfided (something new is always coming out).
Let me know what you are thinking of doing,

Cory

Kitrik
08-07-2003, 07:39 AM
I'm still really torn between the 2215 and the 5455 but I am getting such a steal of a deal on a used 5455 that I will have to go with it for now! I am also getting the sales reciept from BestBuy so at the very least, I can return it to BestBuy (they're the biggest suckers I know!) and 'downgrade' to a 2215 and then get a few accessories to compliment what I lose from the downgrade.

The 5455 is the way to go for me I think though. First off, the built in WiFi is almost a must for me as on my campus we have WiFi almost everywhere. In my apartment complex, in my classrooms, everywhere. So, keeping updated and using it as my MP3 player is quite possible. The big screen is also a good thing as it will give me the options of watching movies on it (streaming from my other computer) during class (mwhahahahaha). Without a built-in WiFi, I think I would go nuts taking a card in and out. The one concern I have then about the 5455 is speed and battery. I hear that the battery life sucks big time and not to expect over 3 hours with WiFi on. They do sell something like 2400mAh batteries which would effectively double the battery life so that is an option in the future. There are other power options as well. Speed - the 2215 and 5555 definitely have one up on the 5455 but I don't think it will be too much of a problem. With the latest firmware on the 5455 and upgrading it to WME2003 (Windows Mobile Edition 2003 - $30 from HP) and throwing a few 'overclocking' utilities on it, it should perform well enough to do what I want it to do!

My philosohpy is always stay one jump under the top - this keeps prices much lower yet keeps you close enough to the cutting edge to be 'cool' and have the features you want. If HP ever does release an Ipaq with WiFi, excellent battery life, video out, and a super-fast processor, I will jump all over that! Until then, I can deal...

So - in conclusion - I am buying the 5455 from my friend. I think it is the best option for my situation...

THanks for the help!

Kitrik