View Full Version : Ipaq won't hard reset what am I doing wrong?

rooks308
08-06-2003, 01:20 AM
Ok maybe I missed something but I cannot get my 5450 to Hard reset I want to clear all the data. I even tried leaving the battery out for about 5 hours and all the data was cleared but unfotunately the Fingerprint ID remains. I went into the password section and looked but I found nothing that enables me to clear the fingerprints. So just to re-educate me in case I forgot the proper procedure can someone PLZ tell me exactly what buttons / presses / pokes are required for a hard reset on the 54xx's?

Thanks

CoreyJF
08-06-2003, 03:11 AM
The 5455 never lets me hardreset if I have the power plug in. Did you disconnect the ac adapter?

rooks308
08-06-2003, 03:16 AM
Power Plug? It's not connected to AC power, in fact the battery has been out for several hours now and when I pop it back in the system is Wiped but the fingerprint ID's remain. How can I remove them?

CoreyJF
08-06-2003, 03:21 AM
I am confused? Are you still locked out of the IPAQ or is the finger profile just in your filestore.

rooks308
08-06-2003, 03:25 AM
Ah the file store........... I did leave some files in there thanks... Now let me see if that is why it kept my fingerprints. Still if anyone can give me the proper hard reset commands I'd appreciate it. I do the following : Hold down power and then while holding power press in the reset with the stylus and then release power a second later. Is that correct? It's what I used to do with my old casio but I never needed to do a hard reset with this unit.

CoreyJF
08-06-2003, 03:27 AM
I just reread you original post. If you want to retrain you do not have to delete the old file. It automatically replaces it. A hard reset will not erase stuff in the fluster. It is designed to be nonvolatile. You have to manually delete files with the file explore, or flash the ROM.

CoreyJF
08-06-2003, 03:30 AM
It is teh bottom two buttons on the ipaw at trhe same time. While depressing them, use the stylist to reset it. But that will not erase you figure prints as they are in teh filestore. You just have to train over them.

rooks308
08-06-2003, 03:31 AM
I am giving my 5450 to someone else and I want them to be able to use the fingerprint ID and have nothng at all from me left on it, so I wanted to wipe it to pre-open box condition. I hope deleating the files in the file store does the trick

CoreyJF
08-06-2003, 04:02 AM
That is where the finger prints are stores, so let me knwo if it works. Did you mange to get it to hard rest following my instructions?

rooks308
08-06-2003, 04:09 AM
Well the fingerprints are still there but I deleted the BioDetect file from startup so let me see where that gets me. I held down both the bottom buttons likeyou said [calender and quicklaunch] and then reset and then release and no-go for the prints but I had the battery out for some time. I remember in the past it would ask me if i would like to erase all data. I did not recieve that message. Did I do it wrong? :(

rooks308
08-06-2003, 04:20 AM
I tried again with the files gone and the BIO detect deleted and It still prompts me for my fingerprint. Is there NO WAY to purge those records?? I can not figure this out. Can anyone tell me what the problem is? I can purge all the data but the fingerprint records remain. :cry:

CoreyJF
08-06-2003, 04:25 AM
You can flash the rom. Download the rom update from hp website. That wipes out all data. As for teh hard reset. Make sure oyu do not let go of the calander and task button until after you use press the stilis into the soft resent button. It is kind of aquward and need two hands, but that should hard reset it.

rooks308
08-06-2003, 04:30 AM
Ah yes I forgot about that also. I did the rom update and I remember having to retrain the ID. Guess ill have to dig the cradle back out now hehe hope that works

rooks308
08-06-2003, 08:15 PM
**Update** : I did the rom update and it worked like a charm thanks again for your help. All fingerprint ID's have been removed and it is back in pre-opened condition. yay! :D