View Full Version : Battle Of The Super-PIMs, Agenda Fusion Versus Pocket Informant

Ed Hansberry
08-06-2003, 01:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.gadgetaddict.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=260' target='_blank'>http://www.gadgetaddict.com/forums/...topic.php?t=260</a><br /><br /></div>Mario has posted a review of Agenda Fusion 5.0 compared to Pocket Informant 4.5. If you've been on the fence about which one to buy, this article may help you decide which super PIM is right for you.

Evee Ev
08-06-2003, 01:50 AM
pocket informant for reezy, my neezy!

dh
08-06-2003, 01:53 AM
I've never seen a direct contest between the two before so this was very interesting.
I thought it was rather amusing that after all the work he says it's best to try them both and see which you like best.
The Agendus method of setting the time using the slider bar is a nice idea, I'd like to see that in PI. (Hint Hint Alex :D )

mv
08-06-2003, 02:03 AM
I thought it was rather amusing that after all the work he says it's best to try them both and see which you like best.
The Agendus method of setting the time using the slider bar is a nice idea, I'd like to see that in PI. (Hint Hint Alex :D )

What I said was that PI is better for me, but both programs are great and deserves to be tested. Itīs no mystery that PI shines in most items, and that is reflected in the review, but AF has other features that some people may like. I made the comparison, you make your choice.

Another hint to Alex from WebIs: Why not a single tap instead of double tap to write an appointment?

huangzhinong
08-06-2003, 02:30 AM
I don't know your guy's machine, AF 5.0 is much faster in my h2210 than PI 5.0.

I only use AF, No offence.

dh
08-06-2003, 02:41 AM

What I said was that PI is better for me, but both programs are great and deserves to be tested. Itīs no mystery that PI shines in most items, and that is reflected in the review, but AF has other features that some people may like. I made the comparison, you make your choice.

Another hint to Alex from WebIs: Why not a single tap instead of double tap to write an appointment?
Thanks for taking the time to do this. I've only used PI so it was nice to see some AF features.
One of the things I like about WebIS is that Alex does pay attention to his customers and include a lot of ideas so the product does get better all the time.
The conclusion you came to is identical to mine, anyone new to these applications is well advised to try them both.

ombu
08-06-2003, 03:00 AM
It's a nice review, although it's hard to have a look at all features.

I use PI and find it really good and improving, it's so long now since I tested AF the last time and don't feel the need to do it again, these reviews (not a lot there, eh :wink: ) help to keep me informed of changes and I keep my decission, sure AF users think this way about their product and that's O.K. with me, I don't fight wars (not any more), that said, I really think PI is the best PPC app ever, not to talk about the support forums (Mark R. Penn deserves a medal or something like that) and the way Alex drives the whole thing, PI's just the mirror of all that jazz. 8)

Regards.

EDITED: BTW PI is:

http://www.pocketinformant.com/img/Winner_Productivity.gif

:werenotworthy: :clap:

CESkins
08-06-2003, 11:14 AM
Given that both AF and PI are relatively feature-laden, I think the reviewer did a good job of covering the key components of both programs. Unfortunately, there were a number of mistakes made about AF features in the review. :( For example, the reviewer states that in the Contacts view for both apps, "...on PI you press a button and hide these big letter tabs. On AF you can also do it, but it’s takes two more taps. And the letters on the right side are more useful to me...". However, there is an icon in the main menu bar that can be tapped to toggle the letters on/off in AF with 1-tap. This highlights the problems with most of the reviews comparing AF and PI...end user/reviewer bias. As I have stated before, it would be great to see two individuals each with detailed knowledge about either AF or PI's feature set (like Mark Penn for PI and Doug R. for AF) write a comparative review together. The philosophy of both programs are different. AF appears to take the approach of keeping the basic views/layouts from Outlook/Pocket Outlook and significantly enhancing them but with minimal icon clutter. That way someone familiar with the built in apps can begin using AF right away and not be too confused by hundreds of icons...it's when you start using tap-n-hold/menus that many of the features become obvious. PI takes a slightly different tact in that it provides additional features some which are not yet fully supported/implemented by Outlook and thus are not supported by the Activesync PIM modules (e.g. hierarchical tasks). Both programs offer something for different users. AF has a clean/simple/uncluttered interface much like Pocket Outlook. PI has a more icon-laden interface useful for quickly getting at a number of its features/tweaks. I concur with the reviewer statement that individuals considering purchasing a PIM replacement try both and see which one suits their needs. :)

Iznot Gold
08-06-2003, 06:02 PM
Also; No you don't have to go into settings to change the timescale (although it can be done this way).....there's an icon on the task bar that enables you to do this directly!

Regards
David (AF User)

ikesler
08-06-2003, 06:03 PM
It was a nice read.......
I feel like it is unavoidable that every review will miss a couple of things in one or both programs....... yet each review does seem to get better and better.
I personally go with PI......... I have used AF and tried to the latest version to be very unimpressed.
PI is a much richer program all the way around I think...... but try them both and see for yourself!

Gary Garland, Esq.
08-07-2003, 01:46 AM
Ed, thank you for posting the news item. Before this, I felt shunned.
Regardless, I think Mario did a great job, and I for one appreciate all the work he did and what went into the review.
Behind the scenes, Mario had written it in Frontpage, which phpbb basically barfs, so after I did a brief bit of grammatical editing (very little, in fact), I did my best to keep the formatting. Unfortunately, all his embedded photos went bye bye - I had the files, but they were not saved in the phpbb post (which is also what ppcthoughts uses, so if you post here, you know what phpbb posting is like) - anyway, I tried deciphering the photos - aside from being in spanish, I just don't have the familiarity with the apps that mario does, nor did I have the time to put the photos in (although I told Mario I would if he was unwilling). So roughly 45 minutes later, Mario had gone through the post and put the photos in the appropriate spots.
One of the things I appreciated most was Mario's direct head to head comparison between the two apps - in general most comparitive reviews seem to come out with Mario's conclusion, that is that both are very good, but most folks seem to prefer PI - as I haven't rung each out, I just don't know the strengths, weakenesses, or real comparison (maybe someday when time permits....)
Mario also took the time to throw in a Palm comparison (which is hysterical - he prefers the Palm app over these two!!!)
Anyway, I again wanted to thank Ed for posting a mention of the review, and Mario for actually doing the work! Usually I'm the one writing these things - it's nice to sit back once in a while! :)