View Full Version : Pocket Plus 1.3 Released - Fixed Windows Mobile 2003 Glitches

Jason Dunn
08-05-2003, 07:03 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=6846&associateid=204' target='_blank'>http://www.pocketgear.com/software_...associateid=204</a><br /><br /></div>Spb Software House has released version 1.3 of Pocket Plus, and the fixes are specifically around some of the glitches that occurred when using it on a Windows Mobile 2003 devices:<br /><br />• "Fixed repeating alarms on Windows Mobile 2003 <br />• Added backlight support for iPaq 2200-series <br />• Fixed duplicate notification items on Windows Mobile 2003"<br /><br />This is a free upgrade for existing users - just download the trial version and install it over your current version. You can also <a href="http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=6846&associateid=204">purchase Pocket Plus for $9.95.</a> [Affiliate]

Eitel
08-05-2003, 07:08 PM
I have two words for ya.... THANK YOU!!!

My PPC is happy once again. :D

cmorris
08-05-2003, 07:26 PM
Great!

Any word on backlight support for the 1940's? :D

sting0r
08-05-2003, 07:32 PM
Great!

Any word on backlight support for the 1940's? :D

you just beat me to asking that questions...hehe....

Doug Raeburn
08-05-2003, 07:45 PM
And what is meant by backlight support?

ctmagnus
08-05-2003, 07:49 PM
:way to go:

And I had one day left in my trial.

Jason Dunn
08-05-2003, 08:11 PM
And what is meant by backlight support?

Every Pocket PC is different when it comes to how they implement backlight controls - there's no standardized backlight API (AFAIK), which means that developers have to do unique control code for every device out there. :| What's worse is that it requires the developer to test on every piece of hardware... :cry:

Ultimately the backlight support makes it faster to change your backlight settings, which is something I never do anyway. :wink:

racerx
08-05-2003, 08:21 PM
I think I know the answer, but I'll throw it out anyway :roll: .

When using third party alarm programs like AlarmX or AlarMe, the alarm would sound for a short time, but the screen would not come on.
Does the lastest version of PocketPlus fix this?

Ed Hansberry
08-05-2003, 08:27 PM

When using third party alarm programs like AlarmX or AlarMe, the alarm would sound for a short time, but the screen would not come on.
It fixes the issue that caused PocketPlus to have an alarm notification issue, but why would it fix deficiencies in *other* apps?

racerx
08-05-2003, 08:45 PM

It fixes the issue that caused PocketPlus to have an alarm notification issue, but why would it fix deficiencies in *other* apps?
Hey, a guy can hope, can't he :D
I thought maybe the screen power issue was something that was fixable via a dll or something. Obviously, MS changed something to make all of these programs break. Thought maybe spb came up with a fix. I said I thought I knew the answer...

heov
08-05-2003, 08:46 PM
back light support couldn't be too tough... i remember helping out w/ the zayo and it only took a 3 different builds or so... 2 days of maybe 5 emails total.

in fact, they have this program you can run which returns system info that you can email them which will help them add backlight support.

Chairman Clench
08-05-2003, 09:19 PM
I understand that this fixes the problems that PocketPlus was causing under WM2003, but others are reporting that reminders aren't working in WM2003 even without PocketPlus installed and the backup program disabled.

SuperAlert "fixed" the reminders not always working in PPC2002 by waking the device early before each reminder. Does the new version of PocketPlus actually "fix" the glitch in WM2003 about reminders not always working?

JonnoB
08-05-2003, 09:38 PM
2215 with a 256MB SD card and 1GB CF card.... Pocket Plus shows no storage card on Today plug-in.....?

Janak Parekh
08-05-2003, 09:40 PM
2215 with a 256MB SD card and 1GB CF card.... Pocket Plus shows no storage card on Today plug-in.....?
Tap-and-hold on the storage card bar and make sure the right entry from the list is selected.

--janak

jsanfordii
08-05-2003, 09:41 PM
I wasn't having any problems with the other one, but I thank you guys, and my 5555 thanks you guys. I love this program.

Thanks again,

James

stevehiner
08-05-2003, 09:41 PM
Bummer. I just installed it and my trial period is already expired.

I installed the old version right after getting my 2210 but I had to remove it 'cause I was tired of the lockups. I never really got to use it properly. Hopefully they have a way to extend the trial for another 15 days.

JonnoB
08-05-2003, 09:49 PM
Tap-and-hold on the storage card bar and make sure the right entry from the list is selected.

Doh!

vassiliphilippov
08-05-2003, 10:29 PM
SuperAlert "fixed" the reminders not always working in PPC2002 by waking the device early before each reminder. Does the new version of PocketPlus actually "fix" the glitch in WM2003 about reminders not always working?

Spb Pocket Plus 1.3 does the same. More over Spb Pocket Plus 1.3 fixed WM2003 startup notificaton database bug that could be one of the reasons of the WM2003 alarm bug.

Vassili Philippov
MS-MVP Mobile Devices

Jerry Raia
08-05-2003, 10:43 PM
The backlight feature works on my 5555.

racerx
08-05-2003, 10:58 PM
Is anyone having problems installing it?

I get a screen that says "Installing Spb Pocket Plus" and that's where it stops. Nothing else happens. Tapping the Cancel button doesn't do anything. Have to do a soft-reset to clear it.

Even tried copying the cab file to the iPAQ and executing it from there, but that had the same result.

Update: :oops: I disabled all of my Today plug-ins and did a reinstall and that worked. Don't know which one it was, but if you're having a problem installing, look there first.

beq
08-05-2003, 11:02 PM
This is totally OT, just making idle observation that the d/l link on the post is PocketGear instead of Handango -- is it just random selection (or alternating between each version release)? I've bought much of my software half-half between them...

Jason Dunn
08-05-2003, 11:10 PM
This is totally OT, just making idle observation that the d/l link on the post is PocketGear instead of Handango -- is it just random selection (or alternating between each version release)? I've bought much of my software half-half between them...

Spb has a very nice affiliate program set up for sites like ours where they offer 30% of the selling price instead of the 5% or so we'd get from Handango. I prefer to use Handango as a selling partner, but 30% actually makes it worthwhile for us to link to applications. :wink:

Jerry Raia
08-05-2003, 11:16 PM
The color bar of the system memory on my today screen doesnt start from the right, its in the middle of the bar. Has anyone else seen this?

racerx
08-05-2003, 11:36 PM
The color bar of the system memory on my today screen doesnt start from the right, its in the middle of the bar. Has anyone else seen this?

System memory starts from the middle, just like the built-in memory application does. If you notice, its proportional to the amount of storage and program memory available, but the value shown is program memory.

Jason Dunn
08-05-2003, 11:37 PM

That's because it's showing you the split between program memory and system memory, just like the memory slider on the Memory control panel screen does. It's not very easy to understand, I know.

vassiliphilippov
08-05-2003, 11:53 PM

It shows 3: used storage/free/used memory like memory Control Panel applet.

http://www.pocketpcdn.com/downloads/plusicon.gif

Vassili Philippov
Spb Software House

Jerry Raia
08-05-2003, 11:59 PM
Thanks guys, its obvious now that you have explained it. Do i feel dumb now. :|

huangzhinong
08-06-2003, 12:27 AM

The ipaq backup patch fix it in h2215, at least for me and all my classmates.(about 20 ipaq h2210).

Ipaq backup patch need to be enabled(set schdularing daily), at least 5 sec need to be waited after you set the time in AlarmX/BugMe/StopTime/AlartMe before you turn off h2210.

damager
08-06-2003, 01:46 AM
I agree with this - the only reliable answer to the alarm problem right now seems to be to not shut off the unit for several seconds after you set the alarm. I installed the new Pocket Plus, and ran 5 alarms over the past 5 hours - 3 rang correctly, and 2 didn't ring until the unit was manually turned on.

mhowie
08-06-2003, 02:49 AM

The ipaq backup patch fix it in h2215, at least for me and all my classmates.(about 20 ipaq h2210).

Ipaq backup patch need to be enabled(set schdularing daily), at least 5 sec need to be waited after you set the time in AlarmX/BugMe/StopTime/AlartMe before you turn off h2210.

So along with applying the wakeupservice patch, one must schedule a daily backup in order for alarms in *other* programs to operate normally (i.e., those programs "wake up" the 2210 and do not have abbreviated alarms)?

Thanks,

ctmagnus
08-06-2003, 03:15 AM
at least 5 sec need to be waited after you set the time in AlarmX/BugMe/StopTime/AlartMe before you turn off h2210.

As was the case in previous versions of the operating system. It takes a bit of time for the system to register that an alarm has been set.

AhuhX
08-06-2003, 05:12 AM
at least 5 sec need to be waited after you set the time in AlarmX/BugMe/StopTime/AlartMe before you turn off h2210.

As was the case in previous versions of the operating system. It takes a bit of time for the system to register that an alarm has been set.

Ah, that explains why I've never got the alarm going off problem. I must be a bit slower than the rest of you quick draws... :)

proutpa
08-06-2003, 07:03 AM
Frankly I'm sick of buggy software and pocket plus is no exception.

I'm to tired and frustrated to go into details, but be cautious this build is junky!

I have a 2210

szamot
08-06-2003, 10:34 AM
aside form RegKing this is the second piece of code I just can't live without, if I don't sleep in for work tomorrow I will be in elated if I do, because my alarm fails I will be othewise..... :?:

mace
08-06-2003, 11:34 AM
Just installed PocketPlus 1.3 and found this bug. When I open Windows Media Player to listen to music (wma's) the volume is OK, however, once I close WinMedia, using the PocketPlus functionality to close and not minimize, the volume is all messed up. I can no longer hear the default sounds and if I reopen WinMedia I can no longer hear the music without doing a soft reset.

Can anyone else duplicate?

mhowie
08-06-2003, 12:49 PM

I will ask again as I hard reset my 2210, reloaded everything, applied the patch, scheduled a daily backup, set an alarm using StopTime (waited five+ seconds before powering off), and the alarm worked normally this morning for the first time (woke up the machine and rang beyond a mere twelve seconds).

So, must one retain the "daily backup" schedule for other alarms to work or since the patch has been enabled once, will things operate normally without having to run a daily backup?

Thanks,

szamot
08-06-2003, 04:45 PM
Yep no alarms for me this morning, and I don't even use anthing fancy just your plain Jane Calendar Appointment to wake me up. Needless to say I slept in.

Bummer.

mhowie
08-06-2003, 05:09 PM
Some additional information since others have not chimed in...

It appears the alarms will NOT work normally unless the "patched" iPAQ Backup is activated for a scheduled (daily) backup. If this option is unchecked, alarms revert back to the state whereby the 2210 is not "awakened" (screen remains blank until one manually powers on) and the alarm ringing is abbreviated (12 seconds or so with StopTime versus a user-selectable value). If this option is checked, and the required 5+ seconds allowed after alarm is set, things begin to behave as they should.

Now, what I do not know is after a successful alarm deployment (say, a 6:30AM wakeup alarm), will that alarm successfully ring the next morning (assuming it is set for daily soundings)? Or, must one manually set each alarm to ensure they will operate as they should? Since I have only recently been able to experience a "normal" alarm, I do not have the history to suggest whether an alarm scheduled daily will function normally in day 2 and beyond. I am using StopTime as my alarm clock.

I have found a tradeoff, however, with this technique. The iPAQ Backup program (patched or otherwise, I suspect) is flaky. When I backup to File Store I am limited by the size of the File Store, so a full backup is not possible. I would rather not backup to the unit memory given the size of my backup (16mb or so). Backups to the SD card seem to work OK, but upon the subsequent soft reset which the program activates, my SD card is not recognized unless I remove and reseat.

Also, if I select a partial backup for the daily scheduled backup (e.g., PIM information only), this selection is overriden and a full backup is attempted. Therefore, I am forced to select the SD card as the backup medium given the issues noted in the paragraph above. I guess a daily removal/reinsertion of the SD card is the plan for the foreseeable future...

Lastly... I would note that before my recent hard reset, I also had Pocket Backup installed. This version from Sprite actually worked much better than the stock iPAQ Backup program and did not lead to the "missing SD card" after a backup, actually remembered the selected backup settings (partial selections), etc., etc. My question concerning is... does anyone who has been able to get the alarms on their 2210 working normally (per the publicized directions) also have Pocket Backup (version 2.01 I believe) installed? If so, the best plan may be to have the iPAQ Backup make daily backups to an SD card and utilize the more stable Pocket Backup version for manual ones... at least until hp (MS?) develops a fix to this botched ROM build so alarms will operate normally without all of these band-aids/workarounds/voodoo prayers invoked.

Thanks,

racerx
08-06-2003, 05:26 PM

It appears the alarms will NOT work normally unless the "patched" iPAQ Backup is activated for a scheduled (daily) backup. If this option is unchecked, alarms revert back to the state whereby the 2210 is not "awakened" (screen remains blank until one manually powers on) and the alarm ringing is abbreviated (12 seconds or so with StopTime versus a user-selectable value). If this option is checked, and the required 5+ seconds allowed after alarm is set, things begin to behave as they should.

Just to clarify: Are you saying that if I choose NOT to use scheduled backups, my alarm program will NOT power the screen or sound the alarm beyond 12 seconds? That in order to rely on the PPC to sound the alarm from a 3rd party program, I must schedule a daily backup? 8O

I do believe that Pocket Plus has resolve the issue with system alarms not working properly or text being scrunched as I had a task alarm go off this morning with no issue, and I've done test alarms where the text is no longer scrunched. :werenotworthy:

:soapbox: But if I need to schedule backups in order for an alarm program to work properly, something is seriously wrong here. Given that Burr Oak has "fixed" this problem with their software, I would call on them to make the fix available to all as a "patch", hopefully free or for a very nominal fee of say $1 or so. I would buy their program but I need more than one alarm per day and independant alarm volume, neither of which is support by their pTravel Alarm.

huangzhinong
08-06-2003, 07:06 PM

Just to clarify: Are you saying that if I choose NOT to use scheduled backups, my alarm program will NOT power the screen or sound the alarm beyond 12 seconds? That in order to rely on the PPC to sound the alarm from a 3rd party program, I must schedule a daily backup?

Right, without daily backup schdularing enabled, your time apps and reminders may not power on your device. The patch actully did some hack implementation in PPC 2003.

I have contacted bugme author before about their app can't power on h2210 issue. The replied to me there is nothing wrong with bugme in this issue, next version bugme will include a patch for wm2003, which works in same principle as backup wakeupservice patch. They even suggest me if I can't wait for the next release, I can use the ipaq backup patch. All other alarm apps can implement the same patch, which is really a small bug in wm2003.

mhowie
08-06-2003, 10:14 PM
All other alarm apps can implement the same patch, which is really a small bug in wm2003.

And I believe specific to the hp2210 ROM build as it has been reported that an hp3970 with an upgraded OS (WM2003) does not suffer from this problem...

Thanks,

racerx
08-07-2003, 03:47 AM
All other alarm apps can implement the same patch, which is really a small bug in wm2003.

And I believe specific to the hp2210 ROM build as it has been reported that an hp3970 with an upgraded OS (WM2003) does not suffer from this problem...

Thanks,
I wish that were the case, but unfortunately, it is not. The screen not powering on and the alarm only sounding for 12 seconds with third-party programs affects the upgraded Axim and the iPAQ 5555 that I know of specifically. This is very much an OS problem as all of the third-party alarm programmers have stated that they need to modify their otherwise working program to address the power-on problem.

This is the same issue that affected Pocket Backup, but their fix only fixed their application. Same thing with Burr Oak's pTravel Alarm. There needs to be a "universal" fix to this problem developed and released.

Pocket Plus seems to fix the problem that the previous version of the software was causing, which was sporadic alarms and scrunched text. Now we just need to fix the rest of the alarm problem.

Andy Whiteford
08-07-2003, 10:15 AM
Isn't this app supposed to play alarms, even with sound muted? I have tried this on my h1940, the first time the alarm went off with sound enabled but the unit locked up when I tried to dismiss the alarm. I had to soft reset. I then tried the alarm a couple of times but with the sound muted. The device woke up and displayed the alarm but there was no audible alert?
This is a deal breaker for me as I want this app to replace a few that I am currently using. The problem is I often mute sound, for example when I'm in the office so I don't disturb others. It's possible the device may still be muted when it goes off as my alarm in the morning. :(

racerx
08-07-2003, 01:35 PM
Isn't this app supposed to play alarms, even with sound muted?

Not sure what app specifically you are talking about. Tell me and I can give you more info about it as I've pretty much tried them all.

austingeog
08-07-2003, 03:07 PM
I would not have known about this probably except for this website. Plus when I do buy software it is usually an application I would not have thought of 'value' from an upgrade of the operating system. Boy was I wrong. Best $10 I have ever spent (well will spend).

I had a Jornada 545 and a multiyear subscription to Audible. I won't get into why I think Audible is fantastic, I will post in that thread, but there was one big problem that ironically was present in both the Jornada and h2210. When you 'Xed' out of Audible Player which I now know was minimizing and turned power off, when you came back on, it would mess up the OS and I would have to do a soft reset. The fix for that was making sure I went to start-settings-memory---running programs-stop Audible player every freaking bloody time I used Audible player before turning off the power. Those times I didn't and my power settings did an auto power off from inactivity....yeah screwed again.

This software fixes that, plus I can now use the today screen like a desktop and put the apps I want right on there, plus power and memory is right there, plus I can turn off the auto close feature and default back to minimize for things like internet explorer so I don't lose the page I am on. Anyhow just for fixing the Audible Player thing (yeah I know Audible should have come up with software that even if just minimized doesn't mess with starting up a pocketpc but on the other hand microsoft should have had a better operating system). However is responsible I am just glad to have a 'fix' now.

Also I got almost immediate help with a problem with PocketEQ from this board where Sony, Emodiv, and handango all never responded with help. The help worked and it felt great. So thanks for having this resource available for people with questions and for pointing out useful apps. It is much appreciated.

Andy Whiteford
08-07-2003, 03:15 PM

Not sure what app specifically you are talking about. Tell me and I can give you more info about it as I've pretty much tried them all.

I thought the subject would have given it away. ;)

The repeating alarms of Pocket Plus 1.3 is what I was referring to. Can anyone confirm if the alarms sound, even with volume muted under WM2003?

Jason Dunn
08-07-2003, 04:54 PM

No, when you mute your device, it stays muted. If you don't want it to make noise, you mute it, so having an alarm go off would seem to defeat the purpose of the whole "mute" thing. :wink:

UPDATE: I was wrong about this. Please see my later post in this thread.

Kati Compton
08-07-2003, 05:03 PM
If you don't want it to make noise, you mute it, so having an alarm go off would seem to defeat the purpose of the whole "mute" thing. :wink:
I wouldn't say that's true. One thing I miss from the Palm is the ability to set game volume separately from system volume. Frequently I don't want the game sounds on if they're annoying or I'm in public. But if an alarm goes off, I'd like to hear it. Plus, I have a hard time remembering to un-mute after playing a game. Or to re-mute when starting to play.

hogwild
08-07-2003, 06:26 PM
Trialling Pocket Plus on my 1940. Nothing special about my 1940: no SD card or other apps running, other than the standard apps and (now) Pocket Plus. Closing WMP while a song is playing creates some havoc. The song will continue to play for approximately 3 seconds, then the song locks up - it actually hangs on the last sound played. The only way to stop this (that I've found) is to turn off the machine. Here's the kicker: when you reboot, there is no sound available. ??? I've made sure all the audio settings are in place (they are - and it's not on mute, btw) - but the sound is not working for anything. After a reset, the sound comes back. I'm able to recreate this so it wasn't a one-timer. Admittedly, I don't know if this could happen without Pocket Plus...it may be a WM2003 issue. Any thoughts? (BTW, the screen is yellowish... :roll: )

Janak Parekh
08-07-2003, 06:48 PM
Closing WMP while a song is playing creates some havoc.
WMP is sort of a basket case. It doesn't like being shut down by third-party apps while music is playing, at least with the task managers I've used.

--janak

ctmagnus
08-07-2003, 08:42 PM
Something I just noticed: Most apps have options in the tap-and-hold-on-the-x menu to minimize, close or close all. But apps that you've set to minimize by default have only the minimize option, unless you have something else running at the same time. So for apps that have no native close function, if you set them to minimize by default you can't close out of them without either wading into the control panel or starting up something else.

thanos255
08-08-2003, 08:53 AM
Well I installed the new pocket plus and the sprite wakeup fix, and my alarms wake up my ipaq 5555 about 20% of the time. At first it worked great....then it just started doing the same old stuff.

Anyone else encountered that?

Thanks
Thanos

Andy Whiteford
08-08-2003, 09:06 AM

No, when you mute your device, it stays muted. If you don't want it to make noise, you mute it, so having an alarm go off would seem to defeat the purpose of the whole "mute" thing. :wink:

I know what you mean but as I said, if I leave my device muted and forget to turn the sound back up, the morning alarm call then becomes useless. This is a failing in the OS in my opinion but it would be good if more third party applications would overcome this or give the option such as Supert Alert or Battery Pack.

A quote from the SPBSOFT website regarding repeating alarms in PocketPlus:

'You can choose any sound for your alarms and it will be played even if your sound volume is set to silent.'

While it doesn't specifically state 'mute', does silent not kind of imply the same?

racerx
08-08-2003, 02:29 PM

I know what you mean but as I said, if I leave my device muted and forget to turn the sound back up, the morning alarm call then becomes useless. This is a failing in the OS in my opinion but it would be good if more third party applications would overcome this or give the option such as Supert Alert or Battery Pack.

A quote from the SPBSOFT website regarding repeating alarms in PocketPlus:

'You can choose any sound for your alarms and it will be played even if your sound volume is set to silent.'

While it doesn't specifically state 'mute', does silent not kind of imply the same?

Jason, please correct me if I'm wrong, but there is a difference between turning your volume all the way down and turning it off (at least on the iPAQ 5500s). So, I would surmise that it would be possible to turn your volume all the way down without turning it off. If this is the case, than the setting to play alarms at max volume, for instance, would work. But if you turn your volume off, their program won't turn the sound on for you as spb is not going to try and figure out whether you REALLY wanted an alarm or you REALLY want it muted.

And I certainly don't think that its a problem with the OS that it won't turn the sound back on when you turn it off. That statement is just silly. That's like saying the power company is wrong because they don't turn the lights on for you when its dark even though you turned the light off yourself.

What I will say is that more developers need to put sound controls into their games so you are not forced to turn down the master volume. Some games do this (Battleship is one that immediately comes to mind) and all should have this control built-in. It should be as standard as the Exit option :wink: .

Andy Whiteford
08-08-2003, 03:18 PM
And I certainly don't think that its a problem with the OS that it won't turn the sound back on when you turn it off. That statement is just silly. That's like saying the power company is wrong because they don't turn the lights on for you when its dark even though you turned the light off yourself.

If it's so silly then why is that very feature incorporated into Battery Pack and SuperAlert to name two? I know what you are saying and I can understand the need to mute your device at certain times such as in meetings, this actually adds weight to my argument as these people are more likely to leave their device muted overnight by accident. I just feel it's a risky prospect to use your device as a morning alarm clock without this form of functionality.

racerx
08-08-2003, 04:27 PM
If it's so silly then why is that very feature incorporated into Battery Pack and SuperAlert to name two? I know what you are saying and I can understand the need to mute your device at certain times such as in meetings, this actually adds weight to my argument as these people are more likely to leave their device muted overnight by accident. I just feel it's a risky prospect to use your device as a morning alarm clock without this form of functionality.

There are two different issues here. One is turning volume UP, and one is turning volume ON.

Your statement that it was an omission to the OS that the OS not turn the sound back on after you turn it off was what I was commenting on. Sorry if I hurt your feelings...

Now, there could be a program developed that automatically turns the sound back on after a certain time. I think there are similar programs, but I don't know the specifics of such a program.

UPDATE:
Check out Meeting Mute http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=2623.
I believe this application will do everything you are looking for.

Andy Whiteford
08-08-2003, 05:16 PM
Hey RacerX,

No worries, no offense taken. My thinking is that there should be an option to allow specific notifications to ignore the mute e.g. a checkbox to allow this for alarms set by the clock. Everything else should be muted until such times as the user removes this muting. I think it would be a beneficial addition to the OS and help people get more from and have more faith in their device.

The option for meeting mute to turn off muting at a certain time will certainly get round this issue though so thanks for pointing me to this software. I'll need to take a look at it. Just a shame we need third party apps for the simple things to make out lives easier. :D

racerx
08-08-2003, 06:19 PM
My thinking is that there should be an option to allow specific notifications to ignore the mute e.g. a checkbox to allow this for alarms set by the clock. Everything else should be muted until such times as the user removes this muting. I think it would be a beneficial addition to the OS and help people get more from and have more faith in their device.

I totally agree with you that there are many aspects of the Pocket PC that could be improved and that many of those ultimately belong in the OS. I think its really an evolution of the PDA as a whole, regardless of whether its PPC or POS.

People have blasted Microsoft for focusing more on things like wireless than fundamentals or other features like this. They really needed to work on this so that more corporate users would adopt the PPC over the POS devices. I hope that now that they have gotten the wireless config challenge (more or less) addressed, they will starting making the PPC into a tool that is truely indepensable.

Jason Dunn
08-08-2003, 06:56 PM
Oops. :oops: It looks like I don't know the features as well as I thought I did. If the sound options for the repeating alarms are MAXIMUM VOLUME or ASCENDING VOLUME then Pocket Plus will play the sound even if the settings are muted. :D

diesel
08-08-2003, 07:00 PM
well i've found the new 1.3 version unusable since reminders go off 50% of the time whereas with it uninstalled, reminders go off 100% of the time

i've read that spb claims it's a windows mobile 2003 issue, but i say thats crap since without pocket plus installed my reminders go off 100% of the time without fail....................but i do love the repeating alarms feature of pocket plus and i've already paid so i want it to work

in any case i've removed the program but now when my reminders go off i get a Notification Error message on my screen saying "Cannot execute \Program Files\PocketPlus\filesys.exe"
This really pisses me off, it seems as if pocket plus added something to the registry or something forcing the 2210 to look for this filesys.exe file somewhere, but i've uninstalled it.................anyone else have this problem

wallisj
08-11-2003, 09:07 AM
Yep...me too....had bought it from ipaqchoice (freebie) and played around with it but found out its made my ipaq2210 very unstable....i tried uninstalling it but i get the same error now that it cannot find filesys.exe.

I am a new user to the world of ipaq and am finding out the hard way that the quality of software (ok some of it may be down to the new OS) is below what i would expect.

I think i am going to hard reset and install just the few apps (about 4 from the 10 i have purchased) that work without causing other incidents.

Fingers crossed that things will settle down and HP release an update to 1.00 for the OS.

Thanks
Jamie

hogwild
08-11-2003, 02:19 PM
Please forgive me if this has already been resolved, but is the backlight issue specific to PPC models? I have a 1940 with PocketPlus, and the backlight does not power up when I have alarms sounding. Is there backlight support for the 1940? (I saw that Jason responded saying that support must be coded for each model???) Did I read something about performing a backup to resolve this issue, or was that fix for the 2215?

Jason Dunn
08-11-2003, 09:15 PM
Please forgive me if this has already been resolved, but is the backlight issue specific to PPC models? I have a 1940 with PocketPlus, and the backlight does not power up when I have alarms sounding. Is there backlight support for the 1940? (I saw that Jason responded saying that support must be coded for each model???) Did I read something about performing a backup to resolve this issue, or was that fix for the 2215?

Yes, unfortunately the backlight setting is unique for every Pocket PC out there, to the Spb guys have to get a hold of one of those units to enable it. :cry:

mv
08-15-2003, 04:27 AM
Trialling Pocket Plus on my 1940. Nothing special about my 1940: no SD card or other apps running, other than the standard apps and (now) Pocket Plus. Closing WMP while a song is playing creates some havoc. The song will continue to play for approximately 3 seconds, then the song locks up - it actually hangs on the last sound played. The only way to stop this (that I've found) is to turn off the machine. Here's the kicker: when you reboot, there is no sound available. ??? I've made sure all the audio settings are in place (they are - and it's not on mute, btw) - but the sound is not working for anything. After a reset, the sound comes back. I'm able to recreate this so it wasn't a one-timer. Admittedly, I don't know if this could happen without Pocket Plus...it may be a WM2003 issue. Any thoughts? (BTW, the screen is yellowish... :roll: )

I have exactly the same problem! i didn´t know it was pocket plus... i have the registered version - but i won it at a contest, so i think i´ll try another task manager - thoughts?

ctmagnus
08-15-2003, 05:17 AM
Closing WMP while a song is playing creates some havoc. The song will continue to play for approximately 3 seconds

I have this issue also but none of the others you mentioned. On a 5550, though, of cuorse.

KiLLiN-TiMe
08-29-2003, 01:17 AM
Just installed PocketPlus 1.3 and found this bug. When I open Windows Media Player to listen to music (wma's) the volume is OK, however, once I close WinMedia, using the PocketPlus functionality to close and not minimize, the volume is all messed up. I can no longer hear the default sounds and if I reopen WinMedia I can no longer hear the music without doing a soft reset.

Can anyone else duplicate?

I also have been getting this error. However the work around is pretty simple. I have found that if I "STOP" or "PAUSE" the song or video "BEFORE" I close WMP, it will close fine and my sounds continue to work.... and I dont have to reset my unit thirty times a day. :roll: