View Full Version : Problem: Password truncation in setting up modem connection

leeda.wood
08-05-2003, 05:32 PM
I am a new owner of my first pocket pc, iPAQ h5550. In setting up the connection (for a Socket 56K modem) to access Lotus Notes and the Internet, my password becomes truncated to 16 characters (of the 24--yes, I know that's long, but that's what I was assigned!)

I have searched everywhere for info on this issue, and the only thing I found was a notation that expanded passwords were not suggested. Unless I can get the password changed by our IT group, I won't be able to use the modem, at all.

Any ideas on whether or not there is a fix somewhere?

ctmagnus
08-05-2003, 08:21 PM
...my password becomes truncated to 16 characters (of the 24--yes, I know that's long, but that's what I was assigned!)

24 characters?!? :shocked!: Either your admin is anally security-concious or downright mean! I seriously hope they don't mind users writing down their passwords somewhere.

I would try to get the password changed. It sounds like 16 chars is about the limit, at least of a random letters, numbers and characters password.

Kati Compton
08-05-2003, 08:28 PM
One system I was on wouldn't let me have more than 8 chars, let alone 24. 8O. Not quite sure what else can be done but change the password. :(

Janak Parekh
08-05-2003, 09:07 PM
One system I was on wouldn't let me have more than 8 chars, let alone 24. 8O.
Indeed, most UNIX systems threw away any characters after the first 8. Only the more modern ones (which use a longer hash) don't.

Not quite sure what else can be done but change the password. :(
I was going to ask... how hard is it for you to change your password? In most companies, password changing is encouraged.

--janak