View Full Version : Don't install Zagat on a PPC 2003 device!

disconnected
08-05-2003, 04:36 AM
When I got my iPAQ 5555 I installed several apps that I'd been using on my 3975. A couple of them (Zagat and 2in1CC) gave me error messages when I opened them, saying that they needed embedded Visual Basic to run. I downloaded the 2003 version of this from the Microsoft site, and the 2in1cc program was fine. Zagat still gave me an error message, something about looking for an object that was missing, but when I tapped ok, the normal Zagat screen appeared, and worked normally. I guess I should have been more suspicious. :oops:

Everything else on the PPC seemed fine, except that I was unable to access WiFi hotspots. Wireless was fine at home -- could sync, share files, and browse the internet. I could also use free public networks, just not paid ones. After about three weeks of whining, I somehow noticed that not only could I not get onto a paid network, but I could not access any secure sites, even at home. I finally gave up and did a hard reset and installed, tested, and uninstalled, one program at a time. It turned out that it was Zagat that was causing the problem, although, being a non-techie, I can't imagine how. I emailed Zagat, describing the problem, and they responded that Zagat is not yet compatible with PPC 2003, but that a new 2003-compatible version will be coming out in the next month or two, with some new, unspecified, features.

I spent a lot of time on my vacation gazing wistfully at Starbucks and hotel lobbies with HotSpots, but it's a great relief to finally have everything working. :D

Janak Parekh
08-05-2003, 02:36 PM
Congrats! :D I should have suggested a hard reset + install earlier, I guess.

--janak

Kurt Hunciker
10-13-2003, 01:48 AM
It is now October 2003. As far as I can determine, there has been no software revision to date, and the Zagat software is still being sold even though it is incompatible with the operating system on all current Pocket PCs. :!:

(I enjoy the Zagat guides, and hopefully Zagat will get around to fixing the problem. Obviously, the Pocket PC software is not high up in their priorities.)