View Full Version : Questions: Best Voice Dialer & What can't you live without

Jon Westfall
08-05-2003, 12:32 AM
Ok, I'm new to pocket pc's (A long time palm user). I found out after years of using my palm the best utilities for that platform, and the software that I couldn't 'live' without after using. Since I have a T-mobile pocket pc now, I'm looking to find those apps again, and to find the best voice dialing software for my phone.

So I have 2 questions: In your opinion, what is the best voice-dialer program for the pocket pc phone edition (I've seen several online), and what applications on your pocket pc (third party) couldn't you now 'live without'?

Thanks,
Jon.

Monty Gibson
08-05-2003, 03:01 PM
Ok, I'm new to pocket pc's (A long time palm user). I found out after years of using my palm the best utilities for that platform, and the software that I couldn't 'live' without after using. Since I have a T-mobile pocket pc now, I'm looking to find those apps again, and to find the best voice dialing software for my phone.

So I have 2 questions: In your opinion, what is the best voice-dialer program for the pocket pc phone edition (I've seen several online), and what applications on your pocket pc (third party) couldn't you now 'live without'?

Thanks,
Jon.

I have and use Fonix Voice Dial, the best in my opinion.
I also use the following and cannot function daily without them (applications only):

-Pocket Backup
-Acrobat Reader (free)
-Resco File Explorer
-Conduit Pocket Slides
-ValkSoft Space Reclaimer
-Storage Tools
-DigiSoft PictPocket Cinema or DigiSoft reViewMD

In my opinion these are the best programs in their "class." I can pretty much do anything with these programs while being mobile. Of course I have other programs such as medical programs and games, etc. That's all based on taste and your career choice. But as far as applications are concerned, these are the best for me. Good luck! If you're new click on My Setup at the bottom if you're interested in another persons opinion. It's good to get several opinions and then adjust them to suit your own needs.

Cortex
08-05-2003, 04:10 PM
-Acrobat Reader (free)

Monty give Repligo a try -- its much better and faster than Acrobat with a smaller footprint, plus you can convert anything that can be printed to the Repligo format (including journal articles in Acrobat). I use it for all of my journal articles, clinic notes, etc -- anything that I feel like carrying on my handheld.

So for a voice dialer I use Fonix and am quite pleased with it. It has automatic name recognition from the contacts and you can teach it a name if it has trouble with it. Also it will recognize stated numbers.

Check out prior threads for peoples recommendations on "must haves", there have been many discussions on this.

I routinely use

Repligo -- A definite MUST HAVE! Imagine placing ANY document that you can print on your desktop and immediately having it available on your handheld. Thats what this program does. Well worth the money. I'm now in the habit of putting anything that I might need to look at again on the handheld -- emails, driving directions, maps, whatever.

Agenda Fusion -- I got this over Pocket Informant because it was the first to integrate phone dialing via the contact list. PI has probably included this now, and honestly PI looks like it has more features, but I've never tried it.

GigaBar -- dont know how anyone can do without this one...

Cash Organizer Deluxe -- depends on how much you care about your money and if you are a MS Money user vs Quicken.
Some type of personal data incription/organizer -- I use FlexWallet but there are others. Very handy for passwords and account/personal information.

Spb GPRS Monitor -- I use this mainly to make sure I'm still connected and sending info when browsing with GPRS. Was more useful before T-Mobile allowed unlimited data, but I would probably still buy it or find something like it just to monitor the connection status. The upgrade to 2003 may replace the need for this since there is a built in connection monitor.

Thats about it. All the other programs I use are specific to my job.

Monty Gibson
08-05-2003, 04:27 PM
Monty give Repligo a try

Will do, thanks for the information. I've read about it, but have not had the time to play with it. I think I even downloaded it the other day and it's just sitting there on my hard drive at home. Thanks!

Jon Westfall
08-05-2003, 04:47 PM
I'll deffinetly give Repligo a try. I"m working on a degree in psychology right now, and need a quick, mobile, journal article reader.

Thanks for the replies!

Monty Gibson
08-05-2003, 07:40 PM
Thanks for the replies!

Sure, not a problem. I think the ones we've quoted you are some of the best programs out there. I don't think you'd go wrong with any one of them.

bjchantry
08-05-2003, 08:10 PM
I went through the same growing pains about 6 months ago when I swtiched from Palm to Pocket PC. I used and lived with Action Names/Agendus for the Palm and honestly have not found an equal replacement. Used Agenda Fusion for a while and it looks good, but to me it is a bit user unfriendly. Have been using Pocket Informant for about a month and it is much better in my opinion, more user friendly, more powerful, and the developer is incredibly responsive.

Here is the rest of what I use:

Fonix Voice Dial - AWESOME!!! I live in South Africa and some of the names are different to say the least, and I am always amazed at how well it recognizes names without training. I use this application 3 to 4 times more per day than any other application on my Pocket PC and it is accurate about 98% of the time.

Spb Pocket Plus - Must have
Spb GPRS Monitor - Must have if you don't want to break the bank
Space Reclaimer - Cleans up all the junk Microsoft leaves behind
Flex Wallet - Stores Personal Information
ThemeMaster - Makes the Today page more fun
Palm Reader - Get books that you can use on various devices
Spb Album Suite - Great for the family pictures
HandBase - Great Database program

Hope this helps and welcome to the other side, I haven't been sorry since making the switch.

Max Kirichenko
09-11-2003, 08:10 AM
Have you tried VoiceDialer PE from VITO instead of expensive app from Fonix? You can obtain a 14-day trial here: http://vitotechnology.com/products/product_16.html

bjchantry
09-11-2003, 08:39 AM
First of all, I understand your bias being an employee of VITO but rest assured, I am not an employee of Fonix. I find it strange you talk about Fonix's expensive application when Voice Dial is available in two versions, Standard and Premium. The Standard version is $15.95, the same price as your application so how can you make a false claim about it being "expensive"? 8O The Premium version is only $19.95 so I wouldn't call an additional $4 expensive compared to your product. In reading the description of your product, it has the same problem that every voice dialling cell phone has, you have to teach it and the environment you teach it in is the one you need to use it in. You even state on your website that training should be done in a quiet area. Also, with over 200 contacts it would take me a whole day to train all the numbers, with Fonix VoiceDial there is no training needed. You can customize it, but I have never had to. I am sure your product is a very good product but the fact that Fonix's product does not require training and that it works for me in any environment, loud or quiet, makes it well worth it's reasonable cost to me. 8)

Max Kirichenko
09-11-2003, 08:49 AM
I'm not pushing you to BUY anything. I just gave you a link to try it.

In fact, I should have read about Fonix voice dialer more carefully. Seems like we have to add more features into our product to make it as useful. :D

Jon Westfall
09-11-2003, 01:53 PM
Since I originally posted this, I have purchased the fonix program and am quite pleased by its handling of the whole "training" problem. Its something that isn't economical for regular voice-recognition, but it is quite a good idea for a finite amount of words (Ok, so the english language has a finite amount, but its quite infinite compared to my measly 100 contacts).

I looked at the Vito product before making my decision to go with Fonix a month ago.