View Full Version : Synchronization problems Lotus Notes -- Pocket Informant

Reidar
08-05-2003, 12:11 AM
I need to be able to synchronize my calendars -- until now I have been using Outlook and Pocket Informant 4.50, which have been fine. But now I need to change to Lotus Notes, to collaborate with colleagues at my workplace. I purchased and installed Intellisynch from Pumatech (their trial version didn't work; it had an outdated serial number and wouldn't load), but can't make it work.

A call to Pumatech technical support got a prompt response -- Intellisynch is likely incompatible with Pocket Informant, and they recommend uninstalling Pocket Informant to work with the "plain vanilla" Pocket PC calendar.

I am reluctant to do so -- I like Pocket Informant, and feel Pumatech should have put in a warning if indeed their program is incompatible with a major, popular application.

:?: Is there a way around this? Does anybody else have a similar experience, thoughts, or suggestions?

Thanks!

griph
08-05-2003, 12:15 AM
Is there a way around this? Does anybody else have a similar experience, thoughts, or suggestions? Thanks!

Tell you workmates to junk Lotus Notes! :twisted:

Anthony Caruana
08-05-2003, 01:08 AM
Tell you workmates to junk Lotus Notes! :twisted:

Gee... that's helpful.

I thought that the alternate PIMs like Pocket Informant used the same database as the built-in PIM but extended the functionality. Am I right about that?

In any case I highly recommend Commontime mNotes as the best solution for syncing with Lotus Notes. I've been using it for over three years and it just works. It's not the cheapest solution on the market but, IMHO, it is the best.

Regards

dac035
08-05-2003, 02:33 AM
I work in a huge Notes workshop and tried many different sync programs. The best of them all is Commontime mNotes.

www.commontime.com

It is well worth the price. I use mNotes for synchronization and PI for PIM. Both programs work flowless.

Check it out they have a trial period you use to test.

Good luck :lol:

Kati Compton
08-05-2003, 03:29 AM
I thought that the alternate PIMs like Pocket Informant used the same database as the built-in PIM but extended the functionality. Am I right about that?
Pocket Informant and Agenda Fusion both do. Some others may not.

CTSLICK
08-05-2003, 04:42 AM
In my opinion the answer you got from PumaTech is a cop out. I highly doubt that PI is causing any problems with Intellisync.

I don't know if it will help but there is a setting in PI Options called Intellisync Compatible Category DB. Can't hurt to try it.

My experience with PumaTech support has been dismal when it came to trying to keep Intellisync working with Novell Groupwise. All you need to know is that its never going to be PumaTech problem...unless you really corner them on it. They were going to make me pay for an upgrade that was supposed to fix a sync problem until I pointed out their own support forum said that the fix would be free for users experiencing the problems I had. :roll:

Take Anthony's advice...go shopping for another solution.

hollis_f
08-05-2003, 07:22 AM
Looks like you've found another reason to avoid Intellisync - their support people will spout shullbit instead of admiting they don't know the answer. PI does, indeed, use the exact same databases as the built-in PIM.

Best two options are Pylon Conduit and Commontime mNotes.

Reidar
08-05-2003, 07:40 PM
Thanks for the responses, particularly the constructive one from CTSLICK on trying the PI options. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work. The consensus seems to be that Commontime mNotes is the best solution, so I will try that.

:( That leaves me out of pocket for the money I already paid to Pumatech for what I now realize is a defective product (or at least one which fails to warn customers about problems and incompatibilities), and not very expert advice from their technical support department. Irritating.

djguk47
08-05-2003, 10:12 PM
Suggest you have a look on the Pocket Informant forums as there have been discussions about the 'issues' with IntelliSync and PI and Alex has given an explanation as to why there is an issue with IntelliSync and PI....and surprise surprise the problem is in fact with IntelliSync. In the options within PI you can select to use an IntelliSync compatible category DB if you want to continue wasting your time with IntelliSync.
A costly experience but just bin IntelliSync, use the CD as a drinks coaster, and move onto Cadenza. I have been using Cadenza to replicate between PI and Lotus Notes for almost two years now and very very few problems. Any problems are resolved by their excellant support service in a matter of hours. It is a replication and not a synchronization that Cadenza does betwen PI and Lotus Notes.