View Full Version : Toshiba announces officially - No WM2003 upgrade for E740's

sgyee
08-04-2003, 11:44 PM
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_dtlView.jsp?soid=473321&moid=210663&BV_SessionID=@@@@1959459114.1060036762@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccciadcimldgkllcgfkceghdgngdgll.0&ct=SB

--------
Support Bulletins

Toshiba policy info regarding e740 and Windows Mobile 2003

Document ID: 98080757

Posted Date: 07/29/03

Last Updated: 07/29/03

Operating System: Windows Pocket PC 2003

Category PDA

Distribution Public

Applicable Models: Toshiba Pocket PC e740

Toshiba continues to embrace the combination of new technology and dedicated research and development to create products and services that meet the needs of our customers.

Introduced in June 2002, the Toshiba Pocket PC e740 was ahead of the competition, by offering the first PDA with integrated wireless connectivity and represented the latest technology the industry had to offer. The operating system is just one component of overall hardware design, including dual expansion slots, integrated wireless connectivity and a high-performing processor that contributes to the total performance of the device.

Since users who purchased a Pocket PC e740 can still enjoy the feature-rich functionality, Toshiba has chosen not to offer a Windows Mobile 2003 software upgrade.

MobiliT
08-04-2003, 11:52 PM
Since users who purchased a Pocket PC e740 can still enjoy the feature-rich functionality, Toshiba has chosen not to offer a Windows Mobile 2003 software upgrade.
Isn't the upgradable ROM part of the e740's feature-rich functionality? Oh, my bad, that's just for marketing purposes to get you to buy it. :evil:

Kiyoshi
08-05-2003, 02:54 AM
Since users who purchased a Pocket PC e740 can still enjoy the feature-rich functionality, Toshiba has chosen not to offer a Windows Mobile 2003 software

:rofl: Are they just saying that their PDA is so damn good that they don't need an upgrade so it keeps up technologically? That's a buncha crap......

Kati Compton
08-05-2003, 03:40 AM
I'd be interested to see Toshiba's reply if someone asks if the 750 will be upgradable to the next OS.

Dave Beauvais
08-05-2003, 07:36 AM
I'd be interested to see Toshiba's reply if someone asks if the 750 will be upgradable to the next OS.
I can tell you exactly what they'll tell you:

"Yes, the e750 is upgradeable to the next version of the OS."

Sure it's upgradeable... just as the e740 is upgradeable. That doesn't mean they'll actually release an upgrade, though. I'm sure when the next version rolls around and people want to upgrade their e750s, Toshiba will say the same thing. :evil:

--Dave

Kati Compton
08-05-2003, 04:29 PM
I can tell you exactly what they'll tell you:

"Yes, the e750 is upgradeable to the next version of the OS."

Sure it's upgradeable... just as the e740 is upgradeable. That doesn't mean they'll actually release an upgrade, though. I'm sure when the next version rolls around and people want to upgrade their e750s, Toshiba will say the same thing. :evil:
But if you could get something written that says that it will be upgradable, and they don't provide the upgrade, you probably could launch a class-action suit. I was looking through the info for the 750 on the Toshiba web site, and it didn't mention upgradablity at all.

Janak Parekh
08-05-2003, 04:33 PM
But if you could get something written that says that it will be upgradable, and they don't provide the upgrade, you probably could launch a class-action suit. I was looking through the info for the 750 on the Toshiba web site, and it didn't mention upgradablity at all.
I think Dave's point is that a manufacturer defines upgradeability as a technical ability to support new software inlaid, should it be released (e.g., flash as opposed to non-flash ROM).

That said, I had one customer years ago who had a Gateway 486 that had major issues supporting Pentium Overdrives. He was the not-so-easily-shaken sort, and he found an ancient magazine that had an ad boasting of the unit's "upgradeability", and persisted until he got some renumeration. I can't remember what exactly he managed to get, but it wasn't easy, I can tell you.

(I bet Toshiba has fine print for "upgradeability" should it even exist nowadays.)

--janak

portnoy
08-07-2003, 02:49 AM
Isn't the upgradable ROM part of the e740's feature-rich functionality? Oh, my bad, that's just for marketing purposes to get you to buy it. :evil: Well, if upgradable roms aren't I guess neither is software to allow the use of the SDIO port in my e335. :mecry:

Dionz
08-10-2003, 06:43 PM

So why did Toshiba offer WM2003 for e750 with PPC2002?

Then I think that the PPC2002 e750 must be LESS feature-rich than the PPC2002 e740... :roll:

What a joke!

CESkins
08-10-2003, 07:14 PM
It's easy to see why Toshiba isn't offering the OS upgrade. If they did, what would be the incentive for anyone to shell out hundreds of $$$ on the latest PDA from Toshiba. Most would just pay the ~$30 to update the OS on their already feature rich old PDA/hardware. Do the math...a couple thousand users upgrading to new hardware at hundreds of $$$ or the same number buying a $30 upgrade. That's the problem with the marketing model for PDAs. In order for the manufacturers to keep making decent profits, they have to get you to buy a new PDA every 6 months to 1 yr. What Toshiba doesn't realize is that by burning its customer base by repeatedly not offering OS upgrades, they will be less likely to buy from Toshiba in the future. Over the past 3 yrs, my PDAs have all come from HP/Compaq because they stand behind their products. I see no reason to jump ship in the near future and certainly based on Toshiba's track record to date, I will not be buying any PDA from them anytime soon. :(

DanMichSr
08-25-2003, 02:16 AM
Win some, lose some. Toshiba has lost me as a customer. They might have saved themselves some money by not offering an upgrade to 2003 etc but future sales will hurt ten fold. Big mistake Toshiba

Wingnut
08-25-2003, 03:02 PM
Yup, my e740 is gone now, replaced by a 2210. Too bad, they have some tepting hardware; not that I'll ever buy anything from them again....