View Full Version : HP to Buy RIM?

Ed Hansberry
08-04-2003, 08:00 PM
<a href="http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/ticker/article.asp?Symbol=US:RIMM&Feed=Bcom&Date=20030801&ID=2760532">http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/ticker/article.asp?Symbol=US:RIMM&Feed=Bcom&Date=20030801&ID=2760532</a><br /><br />Research In Motion's (RIM) stock surged about 26% Thursday and Friday to $27.28 on very heavy volume. The current speculation is HP is going to put in a bid to buy RIM. RIM makes the Blackberry handheld and HP has sold them for years under the the iPAQ brand to businesses.<br /><br />If this rumor is true, what do you think HP is up to? Will they continue a Blackberry and iPAQ line or do you think they will merge the technologies into a single handheld?

JonnoB
08-04-2003, 08:03 PM
If this rumor is true, what do you think HP is up to? Will they continue a Blackberry and iPAQ line or do you think they will merge the technologies into a single handheld?

I certainly hope not. I like the smaller non-keyboard integrated Pocket PC devices. Sure, I enjoy the ability to snap-on a keyboard (J568 was the best) but not integrated like the bulky Hitachi Pocket PC, or the Clie and Treo Palms. :pukeface:

ntractv
08-04-2003, 08:20 PM
I have the iPAQ 5555 and my office just equipped me with a Blackberry device. I love this thing. I would like to see an intergration of the two. Be nice if the could do it in the form-factor of the Zaurus' with the slide down keyboard. But when you really think about, always on e-mail on a PPC device. Not likely with the battery life.

TopDog
08-04-2003, 08:33 PM
I was lucky enough to borrow a Palm Tungsten W a week, and it was great having a device that was as small as a small PocketPC, with integrated phone, great color-screen and a good thumboard...

Didn't like the Palm OS though (first time I'd ever used it). It would be great seeing a Microsoft-device with the same size and thumboard, but I don't see that happening over night...

danmanmayer
08-04-2003, 08:38 PM
I dont know much about rim so what exactly does a rim do that a pocket pc doesn't. I thought it was e-mail some news and chatting??? am i missing something about the rim.

HOLLYWOOD_
08-04-2003, 08:39 PM
My company issued BlackBerry out nearly 6 months ago. My PPC sits in my briefcase and gets less than 15 minutes use a day. My BlackBerry stays on my hip in its leather pouch and gets used all day long.

Having Blackberry functionality in a PPC makes me salivate !!!

Gremmie
08-04-2003, 08:59 PM
On a company level it would be a good move, HP would have enough cash to help carry out the current lawsuits (which killed RIM last quarter) and they have a large corporate and [especially] government client-base.

icatar
08-04-2003, 09:03 PM
Give me a device that combines the functionality of the PPC and always-on email and I'm there! I'm going to see if my company will let me test the Hitachi G1000 (http://a.tribalfusion.com/l.click?clickID=FUCWKIJLFGSCCNNKQSTQIFMOHTXNWDYQQJCKTEJSTMRXHFKLCFUMDPCLBKVWTDMONQKPSP&clickURL=http%3a%2f%2fadfarm%2emediaplex%2ecom%2fad%2fck%2f525%2d14696%2d7524%2d3%3fmpt%3d1345599252) from SprintPCS when it is available. Combing that with Microsoft Mobile Information server and that could be the next closest thing.

HOLLYWOOD_
08-04-2003, 09:35 PM
PPC needs to find a way to integrate this in a smaller form factor than the Hitachi G1000.

Not to mention a thumboard is a requirement. I know a lot of you are against thumboards, but for those of us who are constantly mobile and get 100+ emails a day, there is no other method for input I can live with.

thunderck
08-04-2003, 10:20 PM
RIM and HP?? This would be great!!! Let us consider a couple things.

1.Pocket PC's are sweet and a powerful tool

2.Internet and network access in general at home is a must

Convergence here would be ideal but there are problems. Always on network access for data is great but it uses precious battery life but instant updates on calendar, contacts, and email have proved precious as well. THe problem is services like (network access, hardware device, and always on services) do not all come from one individual vendor. The collaboration between vendors is just not there yet in PPC but we are seeing the beginnings of it with the g1000. RIM has had the collaboration for some time now.

case in point1:

Sprint (the network providor) offers a CF data card and added services (like links to e-mail and the like)
HP or some other hardware providor offers a PPC device.

I know from dealing with Sprint that they DO NOT have access to any handheld manufacturor's SMS harware REgs therefore they cannot offer always on push technology to a PPC with a CF data card. (Blackberry's can)

case in point2:
Sprint network access
hitachi g1000

this device is always on with sprints BCEE service that gives you your e-mail to the PPC because Sprint and Hitachi work closely together and give each other access to the necessarySMS regs.

All this to lead to my main point :mrgreen: THe g1000 is the first Blackberry like device for PPC made possible by a closer relationship between key service providers (hardware and network service). HP makes great hardware but does not have visable inroads into 3G network companies like Sprint or Edge companies like T-mobile. Buying RIM will strenthen HP's position in the future convergence maket-place and make them an even more attractive partnere to network providers. Not to mention RIM experience and street credibility with Big business would be nice. However it will be interesting to see how the court case plays out that RIM is in with Good Technology. Seems like Sprint is leaning toward Good Tech. for a business partner and I also here Sprint Might be working with HP on an upcoming device. :lol:
Might be risky but very nice for HP if RIM keeps morale with corporate America. RIM looks devalued and perhaps a cheap buy :!:

Pat Logsdon
08-04-2003, 10:45 PM
VERY interesting. How much do you want to bet that Dell is looking very closely at a little company called Good Technologies (http://www.internetnews.com/wireless/print.php/2198861) right about now?

If HP does actually buy out RIM, Dell would almost have to snap up Good...which means lower prices on converged devices! 8)

Terry
08-05-2003, 12:17 AM
Microsoft's Press Pass Document that discusses a relationship between RIM, HTC and Pocket PCs:
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/events/springctiamdc/docs/rim.doc (short Word document).

I think the Blackberry is the best thing going in wireless e-mail. My iPaq and AT&T service :pukeface: WM2003 doesn't support the modem (not that it worked well before, either).

cameron
08-05-2003, 03:57 AM
Allright, I admit, I'm a device freak. Current devices are:

Blackberry
IPAQ
Smartphone

Each one does something pretty well. Each one does something that the others don't. The smartphone enables me to have a phone, my calendar, my contacts, and some web browsing and games in a great form factor. The IPAQ gives me better browsing, games, and the ability to view and edit documents. The blackberry gives me always on access to my e-mail.

If I had to pick one device (plus a phone) I'd definitely take the blackberry. The ability to access e-mail while out of the office real-time, without the connecting factor (no matter how easy it is, you still have to connect and download with other devices) makes the blackberry a must have for someone who spends most of their time out of the office.

The problem as I see it is how do you get one device to do all of these well. I think the critical issue is form factor. I mean, that Hitachi, that's one ugly device. Can you imagine sticking that in your pocket for a night on the town? Forget about the mobile pants, you would need the world's biggest belt clip for that thing.

Supposedly the Nokia 6200 (I think that's the number) with the fold-out keyboard is going to include blackberry software in a future release. That could be a killer device.

Do you think I used the word "device" enough in this post?

GadgetDave
08-05-2003, 05:47 AM
I'd be disappointed if HP could "corner" the market this way - since RIM still has suits against Good and others ... I'll bet they're worried about Dell beating them to market with a Blackberry Killer.

I wouldn't give up my Blackberry - even though I love my PPC.

axe
08-05-2003, 06:34 PM
I would love to see HP continue the software development for the BBerry software to be loaded on other devices. I have read an article that with a properly equiped handheld (PPC or Palm) and the BBerry software installed, the device would communicate just like the real thing. With that combination, the BBerry software is totally device independant! We could see converged devices all over the place!
I know my company REALLY likes the RIMs and most of the upper execs have one. I know many other companies favour them too. Pared with the Rim-Exchange servers, your suddenly becomes a viable business device rather than a cool techy-toy.

I would really like to see [i]that app be completed & released!

AXE

Jeff Rutledge
08-06-2003, 02:57 AM
Having Blackberry functionality in a PPC makes me salivate !!!

I agree totally.

I LOVE my iPAQ, but I need my Blackberry. Depending where I'm going, I have up to three devices (iPAQ, phone, Blackberry). But if I'm travelling light, it's the iPAQ that gets left behind (unfortunately). RIM got it right for the Enterprise, plain and simple.

Putting this functionality into a PPC would be bliss.

Having said all of that, I'm not sure I'm for HP buying RIM. I think the Blackberry is so strong because of RIM's vision of technology. HP's isn't the same. I'd rather see partnerships myself. We'll have to see I guess.