View Full Version : New Case for Ipaq 2215

Shaun Stuart
08-04-2003, 04:12 PM
Just got my new case from casesonline.com

http://casesonline.com/configurator.php?continueshop=yes

I have to say I am just a little dissapointed with it. The case I opted for was the slimline case as I did not want to add a great deal of bulk to what is a fairly thin device.

Here are my thoughts.

Fit/Functionality

The Ipaq fits the case reasonably well - there are a couple of issues that do bother me.

There is a slot in the top left of the case to show the indicator lights (bluetooth and alarm) only one is fully visible (the alarm). I can just about make out the bluetooth light when it is active so this is not too much of an issue.

The opening for the power button is not large enough - my finger doesnt fit it very well so turning the device on and off can be a bit of a fiddle. Note: I do not have the hands of a giant so I expect this could be a problem for quite a few people.

The Ipaq stylus is not easily accessible as the lip faces the back of the case - you have to take the ipaq out to get to the stylus. There is a separate elastic stylus holder provided but you have to remember to keep putting the stylus back in and this is a little tedious. (The case's stylus holder looks a little small to hold anything other than the standard ipaq stylus).

Style

The case is side opening (I went for this as i just prefer this sort of case to a fliptop style - looks more like a diary and less like a policemans notebook)

The case looks nice - I went for the Black Bond Street design which is a little planer than I was expected but it is OK.

Although the case is purpose built it appears this only applys to the section which holds the ipaq in place. This section however is held on the the rest of the case by what appears to be an elastic sleeve. While this does the job and probably saves manufacturing time it means that the leather does not cover the sides of the ipaq completely. From the side you can see the leather case front and back, the leather holder for the ipaq and this piece of elastic - This makes it look a little cheap.

My biggest gripe is the actual size of the case. As I said previously I ordered a SLIM case because I did not want to add too much bulk. The ipaq on its own measures just over 1.5cm thick. Unfortunatley, in the case, it now measures just over 3.5cm.

On the plus side the build and most of the materials appear to be of good quality, the case feels strong and I think it would protect the Ipaq if I accidently dropped it on the floor. There are two SD card holders two credit card/business card holders and a side pocket. There is also an opening at the base so that the Ipaq can be charged or synced without removing it from the case.

The case cost $64 plus $24 shipping to the UK - so i paid $88 (not cheap)
it took just under 3 weeks to get here.

I would give it a 8/10 for fit/functionality, an 8/10 for style and a 7/10 for overall value.

shark-e
08-04-2003, 04:46 PM
:?
I would recommend trying expansys (http://www.expansys.com/) as they have a great range of reasonably priced/slim cases

Expansys don't seem to have many metal cases however. I recently bought Proporta's aluminium Ipaq case, which was advertised as 'anodised aircraft aluminium' and seemed like a good way of protecting my Ipaq 3850. Unfortunately the case I received would barely fit my ipaq, looked cheap (which I admit it was, but I can't justify spending the equivalent of 1/4 of the units price just on a case!)

The worst problem was that it didn't close! It kept popping open.

Does anyone know of a good source for a metal case that will fit an Ipaq without expansion jackets?

jgahr
08-04-2003, 06:34 PM
I also just received my slim line version, Firenze Antique Tan. Quality of the case in my view is very much as Shaun stated. The cutouts for the indicator lights on my case actually fit, with very little jockeying around. Overall the construction is solid, with the stitching even and strong. The quality of the leather seemes to be good. Sliding the case in, if the 2200 series is on, causes button pops due to the tight fit. As Shaun stated, the hole for the power button doesn't work for me either, fat fingers.
There is no cutout on the back for the speaker, so the sound is more than a little muted. The cutout for charging/syncing requires shifting the case fairly significantly to solidly grip the connection.

This model, which is basically the same model as Shaun's, has slots for 2 cards, and what appears to be a wallet slot for bills. It also has an elastic holder for a stylus.

This model cost me $54.75 + $8.00 shipping in the US, for a total of $62.75.

Quality of the product IMHO is at best B. It is difficult to create a brand new product for exacting customers like the readers of Pocket PC Thoughts, but these guys are HP partners and could have, should have had samples of the H2200 series to build around. No speaker slot is not an easily forgiveable error in their creation. I really don't like as much elastic as they used, but understand why.

Based on a previous post of mine about their customer service "They were finally supposed to ship on Wednesday via 2 day, but forgot to ship it until last night. Won't see it until Monday now. I ordered it on the 15th also. I did get a tracking number this am. I had a CS manager call me late this afternoon, based on my response to their request for information on my "satisfaction". I guess they just got hit with a surge in demand with the 2200 series flying faster than they expected. But they could have advised people about delays, changed their expected delivery dates, etc. So overall C-/D+ for customer service."

Overall grade C, quality is not great enough to overcome the customer service issues.

I am now waiting for the Vaja flip case ordered with the coupon for here to see which is best.
:mrgreen:

darrylb
08-05-2003, 06:23 AM
Whatever you do, dont order a case for a 2210 from E&B.

My wife ordered a case from them for her 1940 and it was a very nice, well made, solid case.

So I thought, OK, I'll buy one for my 2210. What a shock.

The case is no where near as sturdy as the case for the 1940, it has a single seam that prevents the 2210 from dropping into the bottom of the case, which means that the top of the screen is slightly obscured.

The back where the belt clip is located is quite flimsy and lacks some reinforcement.

Getting the 2210 in and out is a mission, pressure must be applied to get it down as far as it can so the screen is minimally impacted. Getting the thing out requires a grip of iron on the top of the iPAQ, as the fit tight due to the seams and the rubber sides on the iPAQ.

On the bright side, the cut outs are in the right places, even the reset hole and the speaker are right. And it doesnt add a lot of bulk to the device either.

Maybe I'm just fussy, but I'm debating whether to keep it or send it back.

I have also ordered the Vaja case, and am looking forward to it arriving.

hogwild
08-08-2003, 03:31 AM
Those of you waiting for your Vaja flip case, it the one you get is as nice as the one I just received today, you will be very pleased.

The case for the 1940 is simple: flip cover (with embedded metal strip on the front displaying the Vaja name) with single strap at the bottom that snaps the flip closed to the back cover. It is not at all bulky, imo.

The leather is everything I have come to expect from Vaja (they have quite a billing on various sites): quite soft, nice texture - the "good stuff" (not cheap leather) with excellent stitching.

With the flip closed, the headphone plug is open, as is the record button and the IR port on the left of the 1940. The reset button on the lower left is also open. The cable port is blocked by the strap, so it can only be accessed with the strap unsnapped (but it can be accessed while still in the case). So, this leaves the stylus and SD slot covered when the flip is closed.

When the flip is open, you have very easy access to all the buttons, and the screen is completely unobstructed. The inner flip cover contains slots for two SD cards, a slot for business cards (a very small amount of business cards, mind you), and a slot behind these "frontal" slots (descriptive genious at work here) for other things (checks, money, etc.). The flip, btw, does have hardened plastic embedded to protect the screen when closed.

Overall, I'm pleased thus far. (Granted I've had the case now for less the two hours... :wink: ) If you can handle all this, you'll like this case. Yeah, you pay more for it (shipping is steep too) but it appears to be a high-quality, good-looking case for the 1940.