View Full Version : Public WiFi to fail due to lack of techies?

hollis_f
08-04-2003, 07:45 AM
The Register (http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/69/32116.html) carries a story reporting on an article in Newsweek that reckons public WiFi access points are set to fail big time. Seems there just aren't enough people usng them.

jimski
08-04-2003, 08:19 AM
Well now that they have invested in the infrastructure and all, why not give WiFi away for free. Bet that would be an interesting test.

You don't really expect me to pay for my coffee AND Internet access. When WiFi access is free like cell phone usage almost is (1,000's of minutes for $19.99, less $20 rebate) then you will see the platform take off.

In 1998 I was paying PalmNet %44.95 per month for unlimited access to use my Palm VII. Why is the cost almost the same five years later even though the cost of everything else has gone down? Answer: Because they charged too much then (and still do now) limiting the customer base.

Offer UNLIMITED wireless access, anywhere, anytime for $9.99 per month and see how many subscribers sign up.

Alicatt
08-04-2003, 08:37 AM
I was passing a Burger King in Guildford and seen a big poster outside it "Free Wireless Internet". So later at lunchtime on the way back I popped in to see and the small print said 15 minutes free when you spend X amount at breakfast time .... went elsewhere for lunch then