View Full Version : Red money

ctmagnus
08-04-2003, 05:54 AM
(this discussion continued from here (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=146188#146188).)

What does your money look like?

maximus
08-04-2003, 07:08 AM
my money looks like ... money
you know, the piece of paper and coin you use to buy food, etc.

:rotfl:

ctbadboy, this should have been on the off-topic forum :p

theone3
08-04-2003, 10:23 AM
the AUD$ http://www.easynet.net.au/stock/images/money.gif

Kati Compton
08-04-2003, 04:51 PM
Moved to Off-Topic.

The non-US people might not know this: we actually have 2 different dollar coins.

Still can't get rid of that penny, though... :(

GoldKey
08-04-2003, 05:11 PM
Yeah, but try getting ahold of them. When they brought out the Sakacha??? dollar, my local bank never even got any of them? Then the mint complains that they were not adopted by the user! I never saw one in circulation. I finally ordered from the mint just to see one.

Pat Logsdon
08-04-2003, 05:16 PM
Yeah, but try getting ahold of them. When they brought out the Sakacha??? dollar, my local bank never even got any of them? Then the mint complains that they were not adopted by the user! I never saw one in circulation. I finally ordered from the mint just to see one.
The vending machines at my work give both the Sacagawea and Susan B. Anthony coins as change when you put in a $5 bill. Unfortunately, I think the vending machine supply companies are the only ones that got really excited about the new dollar coin.

dh
08-04-2003, 05:38 PM
The dumbest vending thing ever award must go to the ticket machines on the train line between South Jersey and Philadelphia.

There is a ticket counter, but I've yet to see it open, so everyone is stuck with the stupid machines.

The fare is $4.30 for a round trip, the machines only take coins. There are also change machines for dispensing quarters from $1.00 and $5.00.

You can imagine, for three of us to go and get all these quarters, then feed 54 of of them into the machine is a pain in the arse.

Why can't they have ticket machines that take paper money? or better yet credit cards? :soapbox:

ECOslin
08-04-2003, 06:03 PM
The local U.S. Post office, use to give out Sacagawea dollars( the gold coins) for a few months in change, instead of paper money. Only once did a fast food drive thru not want to take one, due to unfamiliarity(Wendy's hamburger).

I'd rather see some of the plasticized paper money that I've seen in use overseas. 'Cept vending machines likely aren't ready to take them. No vending machines around here seem to have been adapted for the dollar coins.

Edward

Kati Compton
08-04-2003, 06:17 PM
I have a friend who tried to use the Sacagawea coin to pay a fine at the library. They wouldn't take it, because they weren't convinced it was "real money". At a library!!! You know, the place that holds information? About many things, including currency? That's pretty ridiculous. And this was in Seattle!

When I get the Sacagaweas I get them from the bank. The post office dispenses Susan B. Anthony's from the vending machines.

Janak Parekh
08-04-2003, 09:12 PM
Unfortunately, I think the vending machine supply companies are the only ones that got really excited about the new dollar coin.
Indeed, the train stations on LI give out gold dollars as change. I hate using them, so I make a point only to do so in Penn Station in NYC. They must get a million of 'em. ;)

I actually found a random vending machine once that took dollar coins, but I can't remember where it is anymore. :(

Kati: if you really want to freak out people nowadays, give them a silver half-dollar or a two-dollar bill. It's scary how many of them don't know that both are legal tender. Of course, if you have a $2 bill, you probably don't want to part with it at this point...

--janak

Roosterman
08-05-2003, 03:21 AM
Why can't they have ticket machines that take paper money? or better yet credit cards? :soapbox:

I was recently in DC and the Metro has vending machines that take plastic. Made it real easy.

As far as dollar coins go the mint just doesn't get it. The susan b anthony wasn't used because it was too close in size to a quarter. So what do they do, make another the same size. Isn't government grand?!

maximus
08-05-2003, 05:22 AM
The fare is $4.30 for a round trip, the machines only take coins. There are also change machines for dispensing quarters from $1.00 and $5.00.

You can imagine, for three of us to go and get all these quarters, then feed 54 of of them into the machine is a pain in the arse.

Dont you guys have a balance card for subways ? Down here, we use a card that electronically store our balance, when entering a station, we just tap the card into a proximity sensor, and the balance is substracted. Once in awhile we 'refilled' the card ... hence no need to carry around cash for trains/subways.

Kati Compton
08-05-2003, 06:25 AM
The L in Chicago uses cards, and you can add money (coins or cash I believe) at most if not all stations.

ctmagnus
08-05-2003, 06:27 AM
Dont you guys have a balance card for subways ? Down here, we use a card that electronically store our balance, when entering a station, we just tap the card into a proximity sensor, and the balance is substracted. Once in awhile we 'refilled' the card ... hence no need to carry around cash for trains/subways.

That sounds supremely nifty. Unfortunately, cards like that are only a dream so far for the most part in this part of the world. There are some places/institutions that use them but those are feew and far between in my experience.

Janak Parekh
08-05-2003, 02:33 PM
Actually, yes, we do. (http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/metrocard/) And they take credit cards. If you happen to use cash in one of the machines, though, that's when you get the gold dollars. BTW, we don't have a nifty proximity sensor, just a turnstile swipe, but it's still a heck of a lot better than the old token days. In fact, the historic NYCT tokens have finally been killed off -- all the subway turnstiles no longer have a coin slot, just a Metrocard swipe slot.

--janak

Kati Compton
08-05-2003, 04:25 PM
In fact, the historic NYCT tokens have finally been killed off -- all the subway turnstiles no longer have a coin slot, just a Metrocard swipe slot.
Ah, well that means the show writers for Law & Order won't be able to write scripts anymore that involve checking the fingerprints on subway tokens... ;)

Janak Parekh
08-05-2003, 04:27 PM
Ah, well that means the show writers for Law & Order won't be able to write scripts anymore that involve checking the fingerprints on subway tokens... ;)
Great point :lol: On the other hand, though, Metrocards have a much greater surface area...

--janak

ctmagnus
08-05-2003, 05:43 PM
Actually, yes, we do. (http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/metrocard/)

Hey! That site isn't mobile friendly! :mrgreen:

(it uses layers)

Janak Parekh
08-05-2003, 05:44 PM
Well, what do you want me to do? Write a mobile proxy for non-PPCT sites? In my free time? ;)

--janak

ctmagnus
08-05-2003, 10:27 PM
Well, what do you want me to do? Write a mobile proxy for non-PPCT sites? In my free time? ;)

--janak

No, that's what the moderators are for. Kati, Steve! Chop chop!

j/k

:mrgreen:

Kati Compton
08-05-2003, 11:47 PM
Nah. Moderators are for :nonono:. ;)

ctmagnus
08-06-2003, 12:06 AM

But you two have spare time to do other work related to the well-being and growth of the Pocket PC community. Or did you not sign your lives away :devilboy: when you signed up to be moderators, as I had suspected? :wink:

JackTheTripper
08-06-2003, 12:20 AM
I have a friend who tried to use the Sacagawea coin to pay a fine at the library. They wouldn't take it, because they weren't convinced it was "real money".
I love to get $2 bills from my local bank and spend them around town. People ALWAYS do a double take when the total is $8 and change and you hand them 3 bills. And sometimes they have to "check with their manager." :lol: :lol:

maximus
08-06-2003, 02:00 AM

But you two have spare time to do other work related to the well-being and growth of the Pocket PC community. Or did you not sign your lives away :devilboy: when you signed up to be moderators, as I had suspected? :wink:

Someone change his title to Pocket PC ImpTroller please ... ha ha ha.

dh
08-06-2003, 02:08 AM
Actually, yes, we do. (http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/metrocard/) And they take credit cards. If you happen to use cash in one of the machines, though, that's when you get the gold dollars. BTW, we don't have a nifty proximity sensor, just a turnstile swipe, but it's still a heck of a lot better than the old token days. In fact, the historic NYCT tokens have finally been killed off -- all the subway turnstiles no longer have a coin slot, just a Metrocard swipe slot.

--janak

Oh Janak, you need to come down to Philly one of these days to see transportation in action. You are clearly spoilt rotton in NYC.

Quite apart from the NJ train ticket problem already mentioned, the Philly subway is rather entertaining as well.

Go to the ticket window and ask for something like "Three round trip tickets to the stadium, please" and what do they give you?? you'd never guess......

Three little plastic bags each containing two little coins - I kid you not!

To be fair, at least the coins work. Using the tickets on the NJ train I have never completed a journey without at least one of us having to climb over the turnstile because the !@#$ing ticket gives an error in the machine.

Janak Parekh
08-06-2003, 02:10 AM
Oh Janak, you need to come down to Philly one of these days to see transportation in action. You are clearly spoilt rotton in NYC.
8O 8O 8O

Spoiled rotten by NYCT??? Oh dear. I don't think I ever want to experience SEPTA. :lol:

--janak