View Full Version : Service Question about HP 2215

Wiseblood
08-02-2003, 08:52 PM
Got an iPAQ 2215 a month ago. Love it love it love it. :D

Two days ago I noticed one of the grips was sliding up. Today the other one just fell off. :devilboy:

Here's my question. I have an extended warrenty with Comp USA. But . . . too me it's for a disaster -- like if my son drops it in the toilet. Besides, its a long, long drive in the country to take it all the way back to Comp. USA (I was vacationing when I bouight it, on a whim).

HP is going to send me a box to get it fixed. However, if they replace the unit, does that void my extended warrenty with Comp. USA?

If I take it to Comp USA, and they replace it because of the grips, I think my $99.00 was poorly spent.

SHoTTa35
08-02-2003, 10:00 PM
well, the grips slide back on so i suggest just putting them on then glue it with some Krazyglue, i think the idea is so you can change em with different color ones later or so... mine however, the rubber is starting to lift up from the plastic, didn't get an extended but this should be covered right... That's the only prob i have with mine right now and i'm gonna call HP and ask them to send the sides of the Ipaq in da mail or something.... that should be fairly cheap replacement, don't see why i should have to send it in for that.

Dave Beauvais
08-03-2003, 01:18 AM
If you get your iPAQ replaced by the manufacturer, just take the new one in to CompUSA along with the original receipt and -- if possibe -- the package that your TAP warranty info came in, and have them scan everything again. Typically what they'll do is "return" the old one for store credit and set it up as a new purchase using that store credit. That'll get the TAP associated with the new iPAQ's serial number. I had to do this twice with my old Casio E-200s and it was a quick and painless process. Just took about five minutes at the customer service counter.

No, I would certainly [b]not[/i] "waste" your TAP on some rubber grips. I also have a TAP for my h5455 and am saving it for a major failure or accident such as dropping and shattering the LCD.

--Dave

gry
08-03-2003, 02:43 AM
I agree. I would not waste the CompUSA TAP on this...use the HP warranty.

The TAP information is correct.

Just bought TAP last week.

The salesman said to just bring the new unit in and they'll scan in the new serial number and your TAP continues from the date of the TAP purchase.

If I were you, I'd keep all of your documentation--
a- Original unit w/serial and price paid for unit and TAP receipt with that serial
b- HP warranty exchange paperwork
c- The new unit with new serial number and new TAP receipt with new serial number

That's it. No questions asked upgrade when the 4000 comes out :mrgreen:

Dave Beauvais
08-03-2003, 06:25 AM
... That's it. No questions asked upgrade when the 4000 comes out :mrgreen:
:grumble: People who use the TAP program as a "$99 Upgrade Plan" will eventually force CompUSA to change the terms of these warranties. Although, come to think of it, I'm sure they make more money from a TAP sale than they do from the Pocket PC itself...

--Dave