View Full Version : Anyone have experience with the Ericcson T39m?

FlyPenFly
08-02-2003, 10:10 AM
I'm thinking about buying this or R520 through ebay so I can use the GPRS through bluetooth on my ipaq 2210. Just wondering if anyone had any experiences to share.

JvanEkris
08-02-2003, 04:29 PM
I have been using it for about two years now, loving it every minute.....

Jaap

fmcpherson
08-02-2003, 06:20 PM
I also use a T39m. However I had to send it in to have it upgraded before it would work with GPRS.

mountainfrog
08-02-2003, 06:58 PM
I have used both a T39m and a R520m with T-Mobile. They are both solid phones. I have used bluetooth successfully with a Jabra BT200 headset and with an iPaq 2215 and an iPaq 5555 for GPRS. The bluetooth was easy to setup and use.

The T39 is about 30% smaller that the R520 and is a flip phone instead of a candy bar style. I prefer the R520 as I like the larger display and the larger keypad. The R520 has a funny shape in that it is fairly wide but very, very thin. Most candy bar style phones are narrow and thick. It is a very solid feeling phone.

The t39 is smaller which makes it easier to wear on your belt. It is very compact and has a smaller keypad and display. The antenna does stick up a bit but it is a very solid antenna. You are not going to break it off without doing a lot of damage to the phone. In my area, the R520 does seem to get slightly better signal strength than the t39. It is not significant enough, though, to abandon one phone for the other.

I believe that you cant go wrong with either phone. It just depends upon your preference between a flip phone and a candy bar style phone. They both have excellent battery life. Both phones have similar features such as profiles, voice dialing, vibrate, calendar, etc. The real big difference is that the r520 has a speakerphone but the t39 does not. The r520 also has voice memo capabilty. I am not sure if the t39 has this or not.

HTH

-Julie

hollis_f
08-02-2003, 08:53 PM
I love my little T39m. It's small enough so I can carry it around very easily. The flip cover means I don't suffer the potential embarresment of accidently phoning somebody because I forgot to engage the keylock. And I don't have to grope around to find the right key to disengage the lock and answer a call - I just flip it open. That's when I'm not using it with my Jabra BT headset.

Normally I upgrade my phone every year. I've had the T39m for 19 months now. It may not have a trendy colour screen. It may not sound like the London Philharmonic Orchestra when I get a call. But it does everything I need a phone to do and it does it efficiently.

It might have small keys - but who cares when you can use your iPAQ to make calls and type SMSs?

FlyPenFly
08-02-2003, 09:31 PM
I'm planning to use Tmobile GPRS unlimited with it, what's the speed like? How is the sound quality of the bluetooth headsets? I'm planning to get one too, recommendations?

Janak Parekh
08-02-2003, 09:35 PM
GPRS performance with T-Mobile US is like a 33.6k modem, peaking at around a 56k modem's performance. The compression proxy helps somewhat in websurfing. As for BT headset quality, I've used the Motorola one and it's very good.

--janak

FlyPenFly
08-02-2003, 09:56 PM
Recommendations where to buy a headset?

FlyPenFly
08-03-2003, 03:46 AM
FYI, I bought the R520