View Full Version : Upgrade to PPC2003?

GenesisNZ
08-02-2003, 01:27 AM
I've got a 3850 and was wondering if it was possible to upgrade it to PPC2003 and if it was really worth it? I like my iPAQ to be a portable Multimedia device but finding it hard since Media Player 8.5 won't play anything I want it to play (this is the main reason, if not the sole reason).

I'm finding it too much of a mission to actually get Pocket MVP or Pocket DivX propely working (without glitches and files not playing at all). Overall well I see a diference multimedia wise? Well things play faster? Well there be any slow downs using a PPC2003 on a 3850? I'm was quite impressed at first on the Multimedia side of things with PPC2002, it played .most of my .asf file fine and all of my MP3 and WAV audio files with out a problem but refused to play most .wmv file. The only reason I can think why is because most of them are encoded for WM9.0.

Another gripe is Flash playback, Is there any program that will play back .swf files without constant slow downs? Trying to watch Strongbad on my PPC is a bit slow (this could be due to processor power though?) :) (Although Im not complaing too much since it actually goes).

I've recently purchase my 3850 from Trademe.co.nz would rather hold on to it for more than 2 weeks before I upgrade :)

Chris Spera
08-02-2003, 02:18 AM
Yes, your 3800 is upgradable to Windows Mobile 2003.

Is it worth it..? Good question. The upgrade won't be available until October at the earliest, so you've got little to worry about in terms of timing. You'll have PPC 2002 for a least a good 3 months before you get your hands on a 3800 upgrade to WM2003.

Its supposed to do amazing things for capable devices. Now, is your 3800 a capable device. Yes. Is it a DESIRABLE device..? I don't know; and I'm not sure if anyone is. No one has seen WM2003 on a 3800 in the wild, so I can't advise you one way or the other...

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera