View Full Version : Malaysia to Ban Divorce by SMS

Jason Dunn
07-31-2003, 04:40 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1509&ncid=1211&e=6&u=/afp/20030731/tc_afp/malaysia_divorce_offbeat' target='_blank'>http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...divorce_offbeat</a><br /><br /></div>"Malaysia plans to outlaw divorce via mobile phone text messaging after a row erupted over an Islamic court ruling that it was acceptable, local media reported. Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad said the cabinet had agreed that Muslim men should be barred from divorcing their wives via the short messaging system (SMS) as such a serious issue needed to be handled in a more personal manner."<br /><br />Much ado was made of the "SMS divorce story" when it first came out, and this seems to be the end of it (thankfully), at least in Malaysia.

Paul P
07-31-2003, 05:59 PM
What is the world coming to when you can't even e-divorse your spouse. Outrage I tell you.

Raynne
07-31-2003, 06:43 PM
That is so horrible! I could not imagine someone being that cruel!

Jacob
07-31-2003, 07:06 PM
I'm not sure what's scarier:

1. The fact that someone actually did try to divorce someone over SMS.

OR

2. That it is required to implement a law to tell people that this is inappropriate.

aroma
07-31-2003, 07:17 PM
I wonder if anyone has actually met on the Internet, e-married, then got e-divorced before even meeting face to face??? :roll:

- Aaron

ricksfiona
07-31-2003, 07:31 PM
How cowardly is it to divorce your wife via SMS? Old chinese proverb: The more laws a society has to implement, the closer that society is to destroy itself. Or something like that....

Jonathan1
07-31-2003, 07:51 PM
New for 2004. Microsoft Divorce and Separations 2004.
Is the big day fast approaching? Been too depressed to get out of the house and get the paperwork done? Let the power of Microsoft software make your devoice a snap.

New and improved features:

DLPD or Divorce Lawyer Proximity Detector technology. (Available only with additional GPS add-on.)
Integration to MS Money to transfer all your assets to her in a snap.
Integration to MS Word to allow easy editing and manipulation of your divorce terms.
MS Messenger integration to the Divorce Lawyers Network with patented SMS spam filtering technology to cut down on the thousands of responses you get within seconds.
Now bundled with Picture it! 7: Hate your Guts Edition to erase him or her out of your life in a snap.
Direct links to online booze ordering sites to get you piss drunk once the day is come and gone.
Microsoft logo approved psychological counselors online 24/7 to get you through this rough time.

Act now and get Stalker 2003 for half off the retail price. When you absolutely positively can’t afford to let him\her go. Make sure you have your activities scheduled around your former spouses life with MS Project: Stalker edition. Now with integrated access to up to the minute state and federal stalking laws.

Please note this it purely tongue planted firmly in cheek. I don’t condone stalkers who are basically losers to begin with. :(

aroma
07-31-2003, 08:25 PM
:rotfl:

CoreyJF
07-31-2003, 08:34 PM
SMS is still to unreliable. If you want to make sure they get the divorce notice you should use email. You can always CC a copy to SMS. :evil: In all seriousness, I am wondering how many people on here have broken up with someone via email, IM, or SMS.

hdsalinas
07-31-2003, 10:04 PM
I tried installing Microsoft Divorce and Separations 2004 on my PC but guess what, you need to activate it after 30 days. If you don´t they will send you back you ex wife to remind you to activate you product. After 15 days of "grace" you wife is permantly back.

Also like any other MS program that needs activation, if it detect any difference on its surroundings (new girlfriend) it will think that you are running an illegal copy thus returning you your ex wife even angrier than before.

But wait, there´s more. If you are in the corporate world you will need to be renewing your license every year.

:D

mr_Ray
07-31-2003, 11:54 PM
But wait, there´s more. If you are in the corporate world you will need to be renewing your license every year.
:D

Wow, I never thought I'd live to see the day... for once Microsoft's Licensing turns out to be the cheaper option :mrgreen:

ECOslin
08-01-2003, 07:33 AM
Now about those stories of getting fired by SMS...

Both getting fired and defining the end of a marriage need to have person to person negotiations. Each person should be able to judge the situation first hand. Whether it's 'ok, move on' or 'the next county is too close, I'll(or a pack of relatives will) do you bodily harm some night.'

Adding Sms to the equation adds both an avoidable risk and more negativity for the occasion.

Edward

Certified Optimist
08-01-2003, 08:36 AM
Waiting time for ordering a Pizza... 30 minutes...

Waiting time for divorcing someone using SMS... 0 minutes....

Interesting times we're living in...

Abba Zabba
08-07-2003, 06:15 AM
I think it's pretty funny that divorce by SMS was even thought of :lol: Can't wait to tell the wife about that tomorrow. I wonder how many men actually did this for them to pass the law 8O