View Full Version : How do you guys fund your PocketPC purchases?

rpommier
07-31-2003, 02:17 PM
Usually I try to come close to covering the cost of a new Pocket PC by selling my old unit before it de-values too much. Here's my story so far.

- 1999 Picked up a used Nino 320 $200
- 2001 New Jornada 525 $328, still have the Nino, couldn't move it
- 2002 Sold the 525 on eBay for $160 and picked up a Jornada 565 for $350. (Caught a price mistake at Radio Shack, :twisted: )
- 2003 HP replaced my 565 with an Ipaq 3955 because I sent it back 6 times for dust :D
- 2003 Sold my Ipaq and all accessories for $365 total. Linksys WCF-12, CF+
- 2003 Used that money for a shiney new Ipaq 2210 on the $293 student discount.

As you can see I don't come out of pocket for too much. Which is good in some ways, but I never end up with the PDA I really want. I always have to get what I find on special or something. The J-565 and 2210 would have to be my best PDA's so far.

What's do you guys do? Hand your old PDA's down and just splurge for a brand new one? Or, sell your old ones to fund the new?

Stephen Beesley
07-31-2003, 02:31 PM
My current Jornada 568 is the first PDA I have ever owned from new (well not counting a Jornada 545 which was owned by the organisation I worked for at the time) and even then I got it at a great price just after the product was discontinued by HP.

Generally I have a hard time parting with old pieces of equipment (evidenced by the fact I still have two Newtons!).

Most of my past PDA purchases have come from ebay or second hand stores.

Goldtee

rhmorrison
07-31-2003, 02:46 PM
I have a JOB, HOW DO YOU DO IT ?

Newton MP130: Stolen
Jornada 525: Sold for same price I paid for it - 150 Euros.
Jornada 568: Will KEEP until it dies (or gets stolen).

szamot
07-31-2003, 03:18 PM
I must say I am pretty luck this way to have a job that can afford these things, that and being in a position that allows this type of expenditure to be requested.
So since 1996 I have collected:
1. Palm Pro
2. Palm Pro - I just had to have two, just in case
3. Palm III - what a leap ahaed this was
4. Palm IIIc - hummm color
5. Palm Vx - loved this one
6. Palm 505 - did not like this one at all
7. iPAQ 3850 - really loved the way it looked
8. Axim X5 - did not care much for it after 2 months
9. iPAQ 5450 - this a replacement from HP for my really bad 3850

...but I still want an XDA...if anyone is interesed in a trade?

trachy
07-31-2003, 03:19 PM
I bought my Visor a few years ago and used it until the screen cracked. I tried replacing the screen with the one from my wife' dead Visor, but couldn't pull it off. I then went without a PDA for a couple of years, which wasn't all that awful. Finally, my wife gave me my 3835 last Christmas. I pay for software and accessories by siphoning off $20 here and there from my checking account to my PayPal account. Once I get enough in there I pull the trigger on something on my wish list. I don't have near the toys that some of you appear to have, but I get by.

Stephen Beesley
07-31-2003, 03:37 PM
Newton MP130: Stolen
My first MP 130 died from a cracked screen at Singapore's Changi airport - the travel insurance payout was meant to fund a new (as it was then) MP2K but....... (well that is another story :D )
Jornada 525: Sold for same price I paid for it - 150 Euros.
Ahh My Jornada 545 - I really loved the cool black metal casing. Pity I had to give it back when I left my last job.
Jornada 568: Will KEEP until it dies (or gets stolen)
With you on that! I have been thinking on and off about getting a new PPC, but the Jornada still does everything I need it to do (and after it recovered from a screen transplant it would seem a bit mean to ditch it for a newer model so soon :D ). Anyway none of the new ones really have enough to make me want to change just yet.

Goldtee

Skitals
07-31-2003, 04:27 PM
Palm IIIxe -> gave to my mom (that was over 3 years ago and she still uses it)
iPAQ 3635 -> cost $500... still have it. on loan to my uncle.
iPAQ 5455 -> bought used for $450, sold for $475
ipaq 2210 -> bought new for $267. That gives me $200 for accessories, while still breaking even with my last ipaq :)

TopDog
07-31-2003, 04:40 PM
I used to work for a softwarecompany that made PPC-software, so my last 8 PPC's where company-owned.

When I quit I got to keep a Dell Axim X5 Advanced... will keep this one untill I can save up for the XDA II or similar PPCPE2k3-device.

maximus
08-01-2003, 03:00 AM
When I quit I got to keep a Dell Axim X5 Advanced... will keep this one untill I can save up for the XDA II or similar PPCPE2k3-device.

Just wondering, will we there be a PPCPE2k3 device with CF slot ?

Jeff Rutledge
08-01-2003, 04:25 AM
I'm fortunate that I work for an IT department. I'm able to expense some of my stuff. I've purchased 5 PDA's in the last couple years. One was at my own expense and four were supplied.

I'm planning to get a WM2003 Phone Edition device when they become available in Canada. I'm hoping that I'll be able to expense this one. You never know and I never assume it's happening. If not, I'm getting it anyways. 8)

As far as software goes, the majority are self-funded. Some (Textmaker for example) have a business reason and I'm able to get them through work.

xoiph
08-01-2003, 05:17 AM
I refurbish laptops and resell them on eBay; I usually sell my old one and get a new one about every four months :silly:

hollis_f
08-01-2003, 07:28 AM
I have two jobs. I do some extra work teaching science. When I started doing it I knew that it was totally unreliable as a source of income - so I promised myself I'd never use the money earned from it for anything essential. That means I use it for luxuries - one of which is my PPC habit.

Of course, after 8 years of it, it'd be a real shock if that money stopped coming in as many of those luxuries are now things I deem neccessities.

TopDog
08-01-2003, 07:47 AM
Just wondering, will we there be a PPCPE2k3 device with CF slot ?Maybe, there is this Mitac 728... dont know if it'll ever reach outside Asia though...

http://pdanorway.com/images/mio_728_docking.jpg

Weyoun6
08-01-2003, 09:04 AM
I afford buying my gear by -

Doing research to find the device that will cause the least expense for me and trouble.
using my device until it dies and is pryied from my hands.
Not buying other things such as cars, cds, groceries, etc...

madbart
08-01-2003, 11:32 AM
Being married with a family makes it pretty difficult to keep up with my gadget habit (mobile phone,PDA,Digital Camera etc).

When i get wind of a new device coming i start saving. I then tell a couple white lies to the wife and tell her the company upgraded us..... :lol:

1. Palm Pilot
2. Palm Pro
3. Palm V
4. Palm Vx
5. iPAQ 3650
6. iPAQ 3650
7. iPAQ 5450

Palm V & Vx the best form factor & most robust by far. I can't wait till the ppc's get to this size!

maximus
08-01-2003, 12:40 PM
Being married with a family makes it pretty difficult to keep up with my gadget habit (mobile phone,PDA,Digital Camera etc).

When i get wind of a new device coming i start saving. I then tell a couple white lies to the wife and tell her the company upgraded us..... :lol:

Did you bookmark this forum on your IE/netscape ? Better remove that bookmark .. your wife might see the above post. :D

maximus
08-02-2003, 01:34 AM
Just wondering, will we there be a PPCPE2k3 device with CF slot ?Maybe, there is this Mitac 728... dont know if it'll ever reach outside Asia though...

http://pdanorway.com/images/mio_728_docking.jpg

That gadget looks nice! Has anyone has an experience with Mitac ? I heard they already launched a smartphone in europe ? Mio 8380 or something ? a clamshell phone ?

jkendrick
08-02-2003, 04:11 AM
I got my e755 because it looks just like my e740 and the wife never suspected a thing. :twisted:

Did you bookmark this forum on your IE/netscape ? Better remove that bookmark .. your wife might see the above post. :D

SlimDady
08-02-2003, 04:12 AM
i bought my axim as a preasent for me with my 2002 tax return

Brad Adrian
08-02-2003, 04:23 AM
I sell my body for money.

Stop laughing.

szamot
08-02-2003, 06:37 AM

Stop laughing.

.....so how much longer before you have enough to buy the cheap Zire?! :werenotworthy:

ctmagnus
08-02-2003, 06:53 AM
I scrimp and save and pinch every penny. Then I can usually afford a new PPC two or three models from when I start scrimping and saving and pinching.

maximus
08-02-2003, 09:11 AM
I got my e755 because it looks just like my e740 and the wife never suspected a thing. :twisted:

Boohoo. Why cant you just tell her .. honey, I know this cost a thing, but I really want this ... any reasonable female should fall for that ...

Thinkingmandavid
08-03-2003, 04:34 AM
I research what i want then search for lowest price. So far ebay had best deal.
IBMC3
REvo plus
currently on the look for affordable ppc!;)

darrylb
08-03-2003, 05:10 AM
I do a little IT work and earn a little bit extra which goes into an account for the business I own and work under (which also has a wholesale account :D ). Over time the money builds up and I have enough to buy something. I just purchased my 2210 and a 1940 for my wife this way. And as the hardware is owned by my company, I can claim depreciation and tax :mrgreen:

cyclwestks
08-03-2003, 06:24 AM
I always jump on the hot deals, then I can ebay for close to (sometimes more) less than a year later. Don't know if I'll be able to do that with the 1940 cause I only saved about $50 on it.

Kati Compton
08-03-2003, 06:30 AM

<digs in pocket>

I think I have a quarter...

<searching...>

Do you take Canadian currency?

;)

ctmagnus
08-03-2003, 06:54 AM
<digs in pocket>

I think I have a quarter...

<searching...>

Do you take Canadian currency?

;)

I got an American quarter in change a few days ago. What's with the red edges?

stitics
08-03-2003, 07:09 AM

That was some helpful citizen's idea of artwork...probably funded by the NEA.

Kati Compton
08-03-2003, 08:07 AM
As in, bright red? If so, I think that's someone drawing on the quarter...

Hmm.... Too bad I spent my last Loony - that might be more appropriate for Brad.... :lol:

maximus
08-03-2003, 01:58 PM
I scrimp and save and pinch every penny. Then I can usually afford a new PPC two or three models from when I start scrimping and saving and pinching.

Well, that way, we value what we have, right ? :D

nice_micael
08-03-2003, 02:07 PM
I afford a new device by saving , qorking and selling of my old gear :twisted: And that's all i have to say.

ctmagnus
08-03-2003, 11:13 PM

Red like the colour wore off the edges. Stick it beside a penny and they're the same colour. Canadian money doesn't discolour like that!

Speaking of pennies, has Jason decided on a name for the awards yet? :lol:

Edit: I wonder if that'll contribute $0.35 towards my next Pocket PC or if it'll only count as $0.25? :wink:

GoldKey
08-04-2003, 12:38 AM

Red like the colour wore off the edges. Stick it beside a penny and they're the same colour. Canadian money doesn't discolour like that!

Some bars color quarters red for their employees to feed the jukebox with. That way they know how much is from paying customers.

Kati Compton
08-04-2003, 12:55 AM

That would be because they are copper in the middle.

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/math/money/coins/quarter/

Also, you can go to http://www.usmint.gov/faqs/index.cfm?flash=yes and select the FAQ for "Circulating Coins", and scroll down to #11 (couldn't get a direct link).

So that should end the red quarter discussion. ;) :nonono:

ctmagnus
08-04-2003, 05:57 AM
Nope, 'cuz I continued it here (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16059&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=). :mrgreen:

:twak:

shark-e
08-04-2003, 05:06 PM
As a newbie, I started with a Psion Revo as a cheap way of seeing whether I would ever use a PDA device. Loved it but wanted more so last year splurged on a Ipaq3850...the best I could afford/liked without buying bluettoth which I knew I'd never need. Now wouldn't be without my ipaq but want to learn more so please keep posting!! :D

etalianstallion
08-04-2003, 08:56 PM
What? These things cost money? :lol:

Well, first purchase was a Sony Clie PEG-S300. Sold that on Ebay, bought a Compaq iPAQ 3835 and sold it on Ebay, toss in another ~$100 and bought my Axim.

Luckily I still have a job to pay for all the other toys I buy. Have to admit that I've cut down on the spending though.

SlimDady
08-04-2003, 11:56 PM
wiuth my axim the only reason i concidered getting a ppc was cauz the price error at 120$ CAD

so i tried to order 3 2 to sell on ebay and 1 for me

didnt go through but i ended up in the end getting it for a 100$ off so i figured why not

griph
08-05-2003, 12:10 AM
What's do you guys do? Hand your old PDA's down and just splurge for a brand new one? Or, sell your old ones to fund the new?

Hmm .... let me see now ...
Sharp IQ700 - (cant even remember when I bought it) sold to workmate.
Psion 3 - circa 1993 - £299 - sold for £150.
Psion 3a/512kB - circa 1995 -stolen! Insurance replacement:Psion3a/2mB
Psion 3a/2mB - circa 1995 present for my Dad - he has spent hours using it!
Psion 3c/2mB - circa 1996 - £499. Sold on for £250 to buy:
Psion 5 - circa 1997 - £499. Sold with all extras etc except CF for £250 to buy
Palm V - circa 1998 - cost ??? - boring! Sold to my Brother for £80!
Compaq iPaq 3650 - circa 1999 - £499 - sold to workmate inc jacket/extra cradle for £200 to buy:
iPaq 3870 - £499 - 2001 - still in service (company mobile useful for bluetooth).
O2 XDA - 2002 - £249 + mobile contract - still in service.

It is absolutely Shocking to think of how much I have spent on peripherals - cases, extra sync cables, cradles, add on memory, keyboards, expansion packs, modems, PC Cards etc etc! Ten organisers in 10 years! This is not a hobby --- this is a compulsion!