View Full Version : Microsoft's Money - Pocket PC 2003

iant54
07-31-2003, 07:56 AM
Having taken delivery of my iPaq 5550 yesterday, I tried installing MS Money, but got an error message to the effect that it was not compatible. Does anyone know whether Microsoft are in the throes of remedying this?

pumajet
07-31-2003, 09:55 AM
There is a method of getting it installed, although I cannot remember where I saw it at the moment.

Basically from what I can remember, you should install as normal, but when the error message comes up, open up File Explorer, navigate to \Windows\AppMgr\Install and you should find a Money CE install file there. Copy this to \Temp, then run it by tapping on it. Money CE will be installed, and the install file will be automatically deleted.

The only drawback is that you will need to Explore the Pocket PC from your desktop while you are connected by ActiveSync and create a shortcut for Money in \Windows\Start Menu\Programs. The exe file is at "\Windows\moneyce.exe".

Brian

bollar
07-31-2003, 10:46 PM
This solution was posted in news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.money :

The client that comes with Money 2004 will install on WM2003 devices. Or you
can use the following workaround:

1. With the PPC in the cradle and ActiveSync running, start the
installation of Pocket Money for Money 2003 on the desktop.

2. Go through the normal install routine, following the prompts on the
desktop machine.

3. When the PPC pops up an error message, don't clear it. Instead,
open File Explorer on the PPC.

4. Using File Explorer on the PPC, find the sa1100 cab file.

5. When you find the file, choose copy.

6. Still using File Explorer on the PPC, browse to "My Device /Temp"
and paste the file in this new folder.

7. Once the file appears in this new folder, single tap the file. The
installation will begin on its own.

8. Close the error message from the original installation.

9. Remove the PPC from the cradle. Check the settings for the Money
Conduit in ActiveSync, place the PPC back into the cradle, and away
you go.

10. The exe file is placed in the PPC's windows directory by the
installation, find it, choose copy and then paste a shortcut to
"/Windows/Start Menu/Programs" and rename it "Microsoft Money".

RB
MVP Microsoft Money

iant54
08-06-2003, 05:55 PM
I utilised the method which pumajet posted (I found an expanded version somewhere), and successfully installed MS Money for PPC.

However, the ability to delete an entry (used successfully on 3970 and previous machines) of tap and hold to produce the Delete Entry box doesn't work - it just drops me into edit.

iant54
08-06-2003, 06:07 PM
Following my posting, I did a search through Google for Money 2004, and found this website http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=adb03d3f-40f0-412b-84c8-80302049e51d&DisplayLang=en
This download contains the Microsoft Money 2004 add-on for the Pocket PC.

However, there's nothing about it on the Windows Mobile Downloads page!

ntractv
08-06-2003, 06:27 PM
Following my posting, I did a search through Google for Money 2004, and found this website http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=adb03d3f-40f0-412b-84c8-80302049e51d&DisplayLang=en
This download contains the Microsoft Money 2004 add-on for the Pocket PC.

However, there's nothing about it on the Windows Mobile Downloads page!

Is this the patch for those of running Money 2003 on the desktop and have a Windows Mobile 2003 device?

iant54
08-07-2003, 12:23 PM
No - (as I discovered trying to install it last night) it's only for standalone on Pocket PC, or for people running MS Money 2004 on their desktop machines. What a bummer, since there's not even a hint that MS UK is about to release Money 2004 yet!

iant54
08-09-2003, 08:59 AM
I had to uninstall Money for Pocket PC 2003, then reinstall it, but this time I didn't need to use the "bodge" that I did the first time!

Rune
08-14-2003, 09:30 PM
This solution was posted in news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.money :

The client that comes with Money 2004 will install on WM2003 devices. Or you
can use the following workaround:

1. With the PPC in the cradle and ActiveSync running, start the
installation of Pocket Money for Money 2003 on the desktop.

2. Go through the normal install routine, following the prompts on the
desktop machine.

3. When the PPC pops up an error message, don't clear it. Instead,
open File Explorer on the PPC.

4. Using File Explorer on the PPC, find the sa1100 cab file.

5. When you find the file, choose copy.

6. Still using File Explorer on the PPC, browse to "My Device /Temp"
and paste the file in this new folder.

7. Once the file appears in this new folder, single tap the file. The
installation will begin on its own.

9. Remove the PPC from the cradle. Check the settings for the Money
Conduit in ActiveSync, place the PPC back into the cradle, and away
you go.

10. The exe file is placed in the PPC's windows directory by the
installation, find it, choose copy and then paste a shortcut to
"/Windows/Start Menu/Programs" and rename it "Microsoft Money".

RB
MVP Microsoft Money

Tired this but didn't work. Got the message (sic) "Will only work on PPC 2002 Devices"-did a search, couldn't find any .cab file. Tapped the "OK" where the "setup failure " message came up and still couldn't find the .cab file.
HeLP!

Zensbikeshop
09-07-2003, 06:23 PM
I tried this approach also and could not find the .cab file as described.

Very annoying that Money 2003 won't sync with WM 2003.

iant54
09-08-2003, 01:09 PM
This was the solution (more or less) that I followed - it's from:
http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=f737118d8df8de24b33bcd205a859b79&threadid=82240&perpage=10&highlight=money%20AND%202003&pagenumber=2

"1. With the PPC in the cradle and ActiveSync running, start the installation of Pocket Money for Money 2003 on the desktop.

2. Go through the normal install routine, following the prompts on the desktop machine.

3. When the PPC pops up an error message, don't clear it. Instead, open File Explorer on the PPC. (I don't know if the error message needs to remain open, but without having experimented, I suggest leaving it on screen for now.)

4. Browse to "My Device /Windows /AppMgr /Install" and tap-and-hold on the file that is in that folder. (This is the one caveat... your folder may end up being different, but something tells me that this is the folder you should look in). The file should be obviously related to Pocket Money.

5. When the menu appears, choose copy.

6. Still using File Explorer on the PPC, browse to "My Device /Temp" and paste the file in this new folder.

7. Once the file appears in this new folder, single tap the file. The installation will begin on its own.

9. Remove the PPC from the cradle. Check the settings for the Money Conduit in ActiveSync, place the PPC back into the cradle, and away you go.

At this point, it should be working like a charm. Money shows up in the uninstall listing on the PPC, but I actually don't know if it will work or not. Good luck!"

PLUS:

"Oops! Sorry, but I forgot the final few steps:

1. After you have successfully installed Money, with the PPC in the cradle, explore the PPC (use Explore from within ActiveSync).

2. Browse to "My Device /Windows" and look for "MoneyCE".

3. Right click on this file and choose "Create a shortcut".

4. Move this shortcut to "My Device /Windows /Start Menu /Programs" to finish the install.

5. Rename this new shortcut as "Microsoft Money".

That should be everything. I don't use the Today Screen plugin, so I can't help with that error, but it may be looking for this shortcut I just explained above. Try the above steps and let me know if the Today plugin works as a result.

Enjoy!"

(The author was ifonline)

Jon Westfall
09-09-2003, 02:15 PM
I found a different solution to this problem.

1. Download the original Money 2003 for Pocket PC 2002 from www.pocketpc.com.
2. Download the updated Money 2004 for Windows Mobile 2003 from www.microsoft.com/money.
3. Install Money 2004 (It will tell you that It can't find money on your system, just ignore it) on your handheld.
4. Install Money 2003 for the desktop but don't reinstall on the handheld.

Seems to sync up fine for me. Hope this helps.

Jon.

seifeddine
04-20-2004, 11:20 AM
I had the same problem and I found a solution that works.

here is my configuration :
- Money 2003 on the PC
- Pocket PC 2003 on a Dell Axim PDA

I first installed PocketPC 2004 on the PDA that worked fine but doesn't offer synchronization with Money 2003. I installed Pocket PC 2003 over the first installation, responding Yes to the re-install question and getting the message "won't install on Pocket PC 2003".

After that, the synchronizations worked fine !

BudPritchard
05-22-2004, 02:25 AM
I found a different solution to this problem.

1. Download the original Money 2003 for Pocket PC 2002 from www.pocketpc.com.
2. Download the updated Money 2004 for Windows Mobile 2003 from www.microsoft.com/money.
3. Install Money 2004 (It will tell you that It can't find money on your system, just ignore it) on your handheld.
4. Install Money 2003 for the desktop but don't reinstall on the handheld.

Seems to sync up fine for me. Hope this helps.

Jon.

Just installed WM2003 a week ago.
:bad-words: Very upset at Microsoft for not allowing PPC Money 2004 to work with Money 2003. Glad I found these threads. The above solution worked fine for my Axim.
Much thanks to all who contributed solutions to this problem. 8) 8)

iant54
05-22-2004, 10:48 AM
My final solution was to ditch Money for Pocket PC, and invest in the Inesoft Cash Organizer bundle (including Money Synch). Far better than Microsoft's offering - and doesn't ditch half your records on synching if you're away from you home PC for more than a week, as happened to me once with Money for PPC!

Steve2526
05-22-2004, 03:07 PM
Hi there -- new to the forum and to my PPC

I've used the workaround to get Money 2003 working on my Ipaq, with one minor problem

My accounts are listed on my Today screen, but when I tap on them to try and open them the following error message pops up:

"Error opening the shortcut or locating the target filename"

Can anyone help me correct this?

BudPritchard
05-25-2004, 02:39 PM
See Iant54's instructions here:
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15863&start=10

You need to set up a shortcut.

jali-p5
05-25-2004, 04:01 PM
all you did was link the same post, but to the top :?

anyways, i think his question was not around creating the shortcut that you will use to access the program from the menus, but when you click on the money today plug-in to get access to account(s), it will give you that error........

I was also having the problem that you are having and I figured out why it happened. First let me ask you if you moved the shortcut to another folder other than the "Start > Programs" folder. If you answer YES to this question, then that's the issue. The today plug-in is looking for the shortcut "Microsoft Money" (MUST be spelt like this!!) in the START > PROGRAMS folder in order for the link to your money to be made.......

I hope this makes sense......i'm looking for the registry edit to make in order to point the shortcut to another location.........will update if i find anything.......