View Full Version : Verizon and Bluetooth petition

spcarso
07-31-2003, 02:07 AM
Here is a peteition for Verizon asking them to invest in Bluetooth.

http://www.petitiononline.com/ver123/petition.html

... for anyone interested.

makic
07-31-2003, 08:31 AM
1st you need to get a phone manufacturer to make the CDMA Bluetooth phone. I read that Qualcom just signed a deal to put bluetooth on their chip, but it will be a while for the phones to come out.

Janak Parekh
07-31-2003, 05:43 PM
1st you need to get a phone manufacturer to make the CDMA Bluetooth phone. I read that Qualcom just signed a deal to put bluetooth on their chip, but it will be a while for the phones to come out.
No -- this is not the way CDMA works. In CDMA in the US, the wireless carrier requests phones be built a certain way. Qualcomm has had Bluetooth functionality integrated into their chipsets for years, and a number of manufacturers have started to build Bluetooth phones -- but Verizon has never adopted them, except for the Motorola 270c which isn't Express Network.

--janak

makic
07-31-2003, 10:46 PM
Janak,

While that may be true to some extent, the company manufacturing the phone also needs to make a profit (else they wont make it). I will believe that it is cost effective to mass produce the phones when I see the Sony Ericsson T608. (There are rumors that it was scrubbed as Sony Ericsson has left the NA CDMA market and would not provide ongoing support for the phone.)

http://www.cdmatech.com/news/releases/2003/030617_broadcom_bluetooth.jsp

Janak Parekh
08-01-2003, 04:41 AM
While that may be true to some extent, the company manufacturing the phone also needs to make a profit (else they wont make it). I will believe that it is cost effective to mass produce the phones when I see the Sony Ericsson T608. (There are rumors that it was scrubbed as Sony Ericsson has left the NA CDMA market and would not provide ongoing support for the phone.)
If you keep on reading the rumors, Sprint asked SE to disable Bluetooth functionality late in the game. Furthermore, the T606, the "Verizon equivalent", specifically didn't have BT built-in as Verizon requested a non-BT design. Last, rumor had it that SE upped and quit because Sprint was giving 'em a hard time.

I've heard many people from inside or close to the industry backing up the opinion that the carriers are specifically excluding this. As it is, Motorola sells a freakin' Bluetooth headset, but none of their phones (except the now-oudated 270c) support it!

--janak

Pony99CA
08-01-2003, 01:53 PM
May I suggest that we put this on the home page? I'd submit it as news, but I think either the petition starter or the thread starter should get the credit. I signed it, but I wonder how many people will know about this thread without a home page story.

Also, it will help prevent duplicate threads (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=145340). :-)

Steve

Janak Parekh
08-02-2003, 06:45 AM
Well, you can post it and credit someone else, you know. ;)

If I get around to it this weekend (I have a queue), I'll try and set up a post.

--janak

(Update: Er, as I typed this, someone just submitted the link. :lol:)

spcarso
08-02-2003, 06:47 AM
Hey folks,

I am glad you signed the petition. I submitted it as news - (I hope I did it right.)

Scott