View Full Version : 5550 WiFi ActiveSync problem

ctmagnus
07-31-2003, 01:24 AM
My 5550 connects to the internet through my WEPed, MAC-filtered, SSID broadcast-disabled wireless router just fine. I can ping machines on this side of the router, as well as outside of it. I can see web pages on it. However, when I try to activesync wirelessly, it connects only as Guest.

Any one else experienced this with their 5550?

:confused totally:

Reza
07-31-2003, 01:50 AM
You must create a partnership using the cradle first.

ctmagnus
07-31-2003, 05:27 AM
Did that way at the beginning. It syncs fine that way but keeps giving me Guest when I try to sync over the air.

I can get onto the Internet from it and I can ping the desktop by hostname and by IP no problemo. My old iPaq syncs wirelessly just fine. I can ping the 3670 from the 5550 and vice-versa.

Also, the desktop has a static IP.

I've said this before, but :confused totally:

pumajet
07-31-2003, 09:49 AM
I'm getting exactly the same problem! :(

With PocketPC 2002, the problems I had with syncing were resolved by using Pocket Hosts and setting up the hostname and IP address of the desktop in the Pocket PC registry...

However, with 2003 it WILL connect, but doesn't seem to be willing to either give its identity, or ActiveSync is not willing to take the identity(?).

I've searched Google, and nobody seems to have an answer (although most seem to be talking about PocketPC 2002).

Roel
07-31-2003, 07:32 PM
There are more problems with the WLAN of the 5550 and Windows Mobile 2003 OS.

1. Battery life is much shorter than on the 5450
2. Syncing with the Internet over WLAN with applications like Journal Bar or Checkpoint (http://checkpoint.oabsoftware.nl/)
3. Sometimes you have to turn the 5550 off and on again to get a connection with an accesspoint.

Chris Spera
07-31-2003, 08:09 PM
Sounds like this is another system resource issue or memory leak problem. This smacks of the same problems that the 5400 had before the 1.11.19 ROM update.

(and BTW, that ROM update didn't completely resolve the memory/ resources problem, either. It has greatly cut down on the amount of problems I have, and their frequency; but it hasn't killed the bug yet...)

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera

ctmagnus
07-31-2003, 10:02 PM
There are more problems with the WLAN of the 5550 and Windows Mobile 2003 OS.

2. Syncing with the Internet over WLAN with applications like Journal Bar or Checkpoint (http://checkpoint.oabsoftware.nl/)

I tried WorldMate (MobiMate?) off the install CD when I first got it, before I had set up a permanent profile and it worked fine then. Howevwr, I installed it again yesterday and it wouldn't download anything, whether it was cradled or going through WiFi.

ctmagnus
08-02-2003, 12:02 AM
OK, it worked one time but won't do it again. But boy, was it sweet when it was working!

Edit: It now syncs like a charm.

Turns out that WM2003 doesn't need a hostsfile to sync wirelessly, like PPC2002 did. In fact, having an entry for my desktop in Pocket Hosts was what caused it.

But there are still the issues of no email and no WorldMate updates. :evil: