View Full Version : Quasi-PDA Laptop

Bruno Figueiredo
07-30-2003, 11:48 AM
Have you seen the latest laptop by JVC?

http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/review/13/5/1667-1.html

It measures 22x15x2,5cm. A Dell Axim is 18x8x2. So this is roughly 2 inches wider, an inch longer. That's a pretty portable laptop!!! :drool:

The Half-Ling
07-30-2003, 04:13 PM
Thats kinda cool and I can see the benefits but the way I see it, PDAs are pocket portable you can take them wherever you go...Labtops aren't the same...You can't go hmmm I am gonna take a walk let me put on my headphones and jam my labtop in my pocket...If you make a labtop you should go all out :-p But still that is pretty cool

Jake-

Jeff Rutledge
07-30-2003, 04:20 PM
The main difference here though is the O/S. It still requires you to go through startup and shut down processes. To me, the ability to turn on and off instantly is a must in any portable device.

seidler
07-30-2003, 04:29 PM
Normally, the Standby modes are quite good, though. I imagine as soon as you fold down the display the device goes into sleep (wakeup < 3 sec.) and after a while into suspend-to disk. So close it -> put it away, no worries.

Regards,

Stefan

FredMurphy
07-30-2003, 05:10 PM
There's also the fact that a hard drive is not very shock-resistant. A great device, but IMO not a PDA replacement (not that I'm assuming anyone said it was).

Thinkingmandavid
07-30-2003, 11:17 PM
Ihave always liked the Fujitsu P1000, Fujitsu has been reliable laptops for me. It is small almost as the JVC.

ECOslin
07-31-2003, 11:08 AM
I still stick to my Ibm z50. I'm just basically using it as a compactflash fed text reader and network independent notepad. The built in modem 33.6 and VGA still works. It's slow to work with documents over 500k. It sometimes freezes on some Html documents.

It comes on, near instantly, when I hit the power button. Matters to me.

When something newer, simular in shape and design, inexpensive and simular to my ergonomic ideals and feature preferences comes out, I might consider buying one.

Edward