View Full Version : so close yet so far.

solus
07-29-2003, 03:01 PM
I've posted this on cliesource, but want to get the other side of the argument now. The ppl over at clie source have of course recomended the clie device, so its your turn :-P

Ok. I am having trouble here. It seems the more you know about the PDA market, the harder it is to make a decision :-/. I'm able to decide for other ppl what they need and are happy with what I suggest, be it a ppc, palm or clie product, but I myself can't decide what I want.

Through GovConnection.com (if you are in fact student, faculty or in government/federal area) you can get a LOT of things with a discount (pcconnection.com is where to look - they share their warehouses). I also have $75 gift certificate here from a science fair award .

My situation is this: I'm trying to decide between two options here. One is a PPC+Wireless option, the other is a NX80 only option. Details:

HP iPaq 2210/15
Socket CF Wireless Card
Netgear MR814 Wireless Router
all totals to ~$470

NX80 only
totals to ~$450

Almost seems like a no-brainer? Not to me. Considering the limitations and highlights of each of the devices, this decision, for me, is quite difficult. Let me explain.

HP iPaq 2210/15 has consumer grade IR (control TV w/ pda = cool), CF and SD slots (full compatibility w/ CF), small, light. Also can get wireless capability to stream audio, video, share files, etc.

However, in streaming this audio, the quality of the sound coming from the 2210/15 cannot match the NX80 at all (from reading in this forum). The Clie also has good IR as well (as I understand, am I correct?). There is definately a coolness factor in the clie as well ( can attract chicks ). The camera is great for those unexpected moments, which do happen. However, wireless will be more $$. 150 extra for the card, then another 37 for the router (discount and manufac. rebate). More memory to store this good sounding audio is also only available in MS format, since CF can't be use to store and play mp3's from.

The wireless greatly extends the capabilities of the PDA, allowing more use. However, streaming audio/video will result in mediocre audio playback. STill have access to AIM, internet browsing and e-mail and files though.

I might be overly obsessive about getting the right device here - if so, slap some sense into me (be kind! ).

I'm trying to find a device that can be extremely useful and fun at the same time. Wireless is something I would love to have, but question the usability of sometimes (whether it would become a integral part of my life, or just end up collecting dust - being able to say that i have wireless capabilities [ooooh ahhhh] but not using it at all).

Thanks for input in advance. I'm so close to getting a NX80 that I can see myself showing it off. In the same way, I'm so close to getting that iPaq+Wireless I can see myself surfing the web and doing cool stuff w/ the iPaq - including showing it off!

whatsnext?
07-29-2003, 03:22 PM
More memory to store this good sounding audio is also only available in MS format, since CF can't be use to store and play mp3's from

i dont know what u r talking about i play mp3's from my cf card all the time.

kuyars
07-29-2003, 03:27 PM
I think it sounds as though your main objective is in showing off the pda, rather than its actual use. So I'd have to recommend the Clie for its whizzbang factor and unique look.

If it were based on functionality alone, I would recommend the ipaq, since it is really much smaller, so you'll probably end up taking it with you much more. Although the NX80V is shorter than the NX70V, it still is a brick on comparison to the ipaq you're considering.

I'll leave the Palm vs PPC OS debate up to yourself, but I think it's largely true that PPC has a lot more sophisticated looking games than Palm does. That has a certain whizbang factor, but not so much for chicks. I think chicks would like the camera much more. But hey, if you're getting a pda for attracting chicks, well....uhhh....

solus
07-29-2003, 03:47 PM
That was meant to be a joke 8O .

I tend to lean towards the iPaq, but every time i see a clie I get all undecided again. Heh.

dh
07-29-2003, 04:43 PM
If I were going to get a Clie, I'd wait and get the new UG50. It's still not perfect, does not have enough memory and needs the sucky memory stick but with the two wireless systems embedded it's the best POS device for me.

However at least until POS ver 6, PPC is still the way to go, even without the chicks.

maximus
07-30-2003, 02:38 AM
The Clie also has good IR as well (as I understand, am I correct?). There is definately a coolness factor in the clie as well (can attract chicks).

Instead of a handheld, I seriously think that you'll be better off buying those body-building nutrients ... It will attract chicks more effectively. :wink:

More memory to store this good sounding audio is also only available in MS format, since CF can't be use to store and play mp3's from.

Now I am really confused.

Thanks for input in advance. I'm so close to getting a NX80 that I can see myself showing it off. In the same way, I'm so close to getting that iPaq+Wireless I can see myself surfing the web and doing cool stuff w/ the iPaq - including showing it off!

Really, I think you should buy the NX, be a chick magnet, and stay clear from the world of PPC. :mrgreen:

p.s. Did I mentioned that memory stink stinks ? :p
Down here, 1GB memory stick cost USD500, while 1GB CF cost USD250.[/quote]

Janak Parekh
07-30-2003, 04:03 AM
However, in streaming this audio, the quality of the sound coming from the 2210/15 cannot match the NX80 at all (from reading in this forum).
Untrue. Of all the PDAs in the market, the iPAQs consistently score amongst the top in music playback quality. Moreover, you have much more flexibility: on Sony devices, you can only play what their audio programs support, since Sony doesn't implement the standard PalmOS sound APIs (I'm pretty sure this is still true on the latest Clies as well). On an iPAQ, you can use any music playback program; there are ones to support MP3, Ogg, WMA, MOD, etc. May I ask where you read this? :)

The Clie also has good IR as well (as I understand, am I correct?).
Yes, I believe so.

There is definately a coolness factor in the clie as well ( can attract chicks ). The camera is great for those unexpected moments, which do happen.
There is indeed a coolness and convenience factor in the camera, but I agree with Maximus - I wouldn't use it to pick up chicks either. ;)

More memory to store this good sounding audio is also only available in MS format, since CF can't be use to store and play mp3's from.
I assume you're referring to the Sony devices when you say you can't play from CF. I believe the very latest Clie devices have actually fixed this, and support some CF flash media. I have not verified this, but the Cliesource folks should know better. Pocket PCs can definitely play from CF or SD.

However, streaming audio/video will result in mediocre audio playback.
Not necessarily. People do high-quality MP3/Ogg/WMA streaming all the time.

STill have access to AIM, internet browsing and e-mail and files though.
And, you can multitask them on a Pocket PC -- all of them at the same time.

I'm trying to find a device that can be extremely useful and fun at the same time.
Both will do that. Whether you need the multitasking and multimedia capabilities may ultimately drive your choice. Good luck! :)

--janak

PetiteFlower
07-30-2003, 06:29 AM
I have a moral objection to proprietary memory so I won't buy anything from Sony that uses memory(PDA, camera, anything). But that's me.

madbart
07-30-2003, 07:07 AM
anyone who is looking to pickup chicks using a pda should only ever buy a palm based unit.......speaking for myself i use my ipaq for functionality & and pull out my Palm for pulling chicks! :lol:

Janak Parekh
07-30-2003, 09:11 PM
Do you seriously succeed at doing this? 8O In New York, inattention is the behavior of choice. In fact, I saw someone using an Apple Titanium Powerbook on the A train yesterday between 125th and 59th Sts., and everyone ignored him.

--janak

dh
07-30-2003, 09:42 PM
On the Clie you have to buy a third party driver to be able to use the CF slot for multimedia files.

The Sony CF slot does allow a CF memory card to be used now, but only for general storage and certain applications. If you want to use the Clie to it's full capability, you still have a buy a Memory Stick.

Makes we wonder how the balance is between extra memory sticks sold and the loss of sales of Clies. I've often thought of getting one, but that stupid MS always turns me off.

I would love to see a PPC maker come up with some kind of clamshell design. With the new MS Smartphone clamshell from Motorolla, I wonder if PPC will be far behind. Could be the chick attractor that solus is looking for. :D

Hyperluminal
07-30-2003, 09:56 PM
Wait, I think the NX80 can actually natively use CFs cards. If they can, that would (maybe) mean that they could be used like MS cards...

mc_03
07-30-2003, 10:32 PM
Yes, it can natively use memory CF cards, but not in the same way as PPCs- most Sony apps still do not recognize them, or will not let you play music/movies off of them. You'd have to get the third party driver.

madbart
07-30-2003, 10:45 PM
Do you seriously succeed at doing this? 8O In New York, inattention is the behavior of choice. In fact, I saw someone using an Apple Titanium Powerbook on the A train yesterday between 125th and 59th Sts., and everyone ignored him.

--janak

Not on your life.......i was siply taking the pis% out of the original poster :rotfl:

Thinkingmandavid
07-30-2003, 10:56 PM
First of all, I think getting the ipaq is teh better choice and here is whyl.
YOur wanting to look good impress will soon wear off, then you will be stuck with a pda that you wont want to lug around and that you will tire of, so it becomes useless to you because it goes unused.
There is more functionality from a ppc, and you arent going to have to get that driver update to use the cf slot.
SD and CF are more universal than the sony memory stick, so you will be able to share things if needed. Having a sony memory stick limits who or what you share to a certain degree. I am talking about not having to go and spend extra money on card readers just because you want the info from a sony stick. More like stick in the mud! :D j.k. die hard clie users;)
The ipaq has a great screen and a great size. That clie is WAY TO BIG and as time goes by will be a nuesance to carry around.
If you want to pick up chicks, seems to me the ipaq is still a way to get attention, such as something simple as a conversation starter. Women enjoy conversation so why not chat:) I have the greatest girl friend of all whom I am totally in love with, so I dont have to bother! 8)
My memory is a bit hazey at the moment but, can you upgrade the OS on the clie? I know you can on the ppc's. I know for a while there you couldnt but for some reason I am in a haze right now:) hehe

maximus
07-31-2003, 02:05 AM
I have a moral objection to proprietary memory so I won't buy anything from Sony that uses memory(PDA, camera, anything). But that's me.

Exactly my feeling. That is exactly the reason why I stayed clear from all sony's products that requires memory stink .. And since their regular consumer electronic products (TV, DVD, etc.) are soooooooo overpriced, I stayed clear from those too. Hence, I declared my house as sony-free. :D

solus
07-31-2003, 03:32 AM
You guys took that chick magnet thing WAY too seriously 8O. Got an NX. I'll try it out. I gots 30 days, right? :mrgreen:

PetiteFlower
07-31-2003, 06:16 AM
Exactly my feeling. That is exactly the reason why I stayed clear from all sony's products that requires memory stink .. And since their regular consumer electronic products (TV, DVD, etc.) are soooooooo overpriced, I stayed clear from those too. Hence, I declared my house as sony-free. :D

I considered doing that....but I love my PS2 too much :)

maximus
07-31-2003, 07:07 AM
You guys took that chick magnet thing WAY too seriously 8O. Got an NX. I'll try it out. I gots 30 days, right? :mrgreen:

Any chick yet ? :p

I considered doing that....but I love my PS2 too much

Boohoo. How about replacing that with a PC game ?

griph
07-31-2003, 07:34 AM
anyone who is looking to pickup chicks using a pda should only ever buy a palm based unit.......speaking for myself i use my ipaq for functionality & and pull out my Palm for pulling chicks! :lol:

I can't believe anyone would think that a PDA would help them pick up 'chicks' (what a nice term BTW ;-)) - most women I have met relate gadgets with geekyness - perhaps I just move in the wrong circles? or too old to understand! :-)

maximus
07-31-2003, 11:33 AM
You definitely are hanging with the wrong kind of women. Try hanging up more with the ladies of this forum e.g. kati, petite, ctmagnus .... :roll:

dh
07-31-2003, 12:48 PM
You definitely are hanging with the wrong kind of women. Try hanging up more with the ladies of this forum e.g. kati, petite, ctmagnus .... :roll:

:rotfl:

solus
07-31-2003, 02:01 PM
8O

pschultz
07-31-2003, 05:16 PM
HP iPaq 2210/15
Socket CF Wireless Card
Netgear MR814 Wireless Router
all totals to ~$470

NX80 only
totals to ~$450
Why would you have to get the Netgear MR814 Wireless Router for the iPAQ 2215 but wouldn't for the NX80?

rosettaZ
07-31-2003, 06:05 PM
NX 80 cannot wirelessly stream media. You have to do fiel transfer then play.

redifrogger
07-31-2003, 06:11 PM

:nonono:

I know this is a little off topic, but I'm so there with PetiteFlower and the others on this. I have a friend that bought a Sony Vaio (whatever they're called) and it has a slot for the memory stick right on the tower - cool, but nothing else can be used. He can't view my pictures on my CF or SD card; meanwhile my brother-in-law takes pictures on his HP Jornada, and I takes his card and put it in my Toshiba e740 (I know bad choice) and view all his pictures. I'll never buy a Sony unit until they quit with the proprietary memory choice.

:razz:

dh
07-31-2003, 06:21 PM

:nonono:

I know this is a little off topic, but I'm so there with PetiteFlower and the others on this. I have a friend that bought a Sony Vaio (whatever they're called) and it has a slot for the memory stick right on the tower - cool, but nothing else can be used. He can't view my pictures on my CF or SD card; meanwhile my brother-in-law takes pictures on his HP Jornada, and I takes his card and put it in my Toshiba e740 (I know bad choice) and view all his pictures. I'll never buy a Sony unit until they quit with the proprietary memory choice.

:razz:

And the newest Clie, the UG50, is going back to MS only. Not even the "stripped down" CF port. Shame because they have some nice products otherwise.

griph
07-31-2003, 11:50 PM

Wrong side of the pond - unfortunately! :-( I'm sure my wife would not be pleased if she thought I was hanging with any other women, wrong kind or otherwise!! :wink:

blusparkles
08-01-2003, 12:16 AM

Personally I'd be intrigued if a guy pulled out any of the newish PDAs, OS notwithstanding :wink: Don't see many of those down under unless I go to a Pocket PC meeting hehe

PetiteFlower
08-01-2003, 01:13 AM
most women I have met relate gadgets with geekyness

Indeed I do--and I love geeks :) I aspire to ever-higher levels of geekyness in myself and my friends and boyfriends ;)

PetiteFlower
08-01-2003, 01:19 AM

99% of what I use my PS2 for right now is as my DVD player since I don't have another one, I haven't been into playing games on it for a while. I'll get back into it eventually I'm sure but I'm all about Warcraft 3 at the moment! But I love that I can rent and buy DVDs now and not have to watch them on my computer(TV is a lot bigger)!

PetiteFlower
08-01-2003, 01:22 AM

lol, I even think most of the regular chicas around here are married!

maximus
08-01-2003, 01:56 AM
I'll never buy a Sony unit until they quit with the proprietary memory choice. :razz:

I dont think they ever drop memory stinks. It is an ego thing already.
I have a friend who works at sony, and basically he was telling me that memory stinks is far more superior than CF cards.

I asked him why, his answer was: CF is invented by a small only-god-knows-where company, while memory stink is invented by sony, the largest consumer electronic company. 8O

That was a very convincing sales pitch, right ?

maximus
08-01-2003, 02:09 AM
Personally I'd be intrigued if a guy pulled out any of the newish PDAs, OS notwithstanding :wink: Don't see many of those down under unless I go to a Pocket PC meeting hehe

Ah, you should go to one of the office buildings in the tampines/raffles/technology park area (singapore) ... you will be intrigued endlessly :D . I am a gadget freak myself (I usually need less than 3 seconds to identify a gadget), but the people at these office buildings kept on amazed me with new gadgets.

Sometimes, before a gadget is officially launched, someone at my office has it already e.g. samsung i700, 2210, etc.

maximus
08-01-2003, 02:25 AM

99% of what I use my PS2 for right now is as my DVD player since I don't have another one, I haven't been into playing games on it for a while. I'll get back into it eventually I'm sure but I'm all about Warcraft 3 at the moment! But I love that I can rent and buy DVDs now and not have to watch them on my computer(TV is a lot bigger)!

I found that playing DVD on the computer is much more fun (than on a DVD player) .. I am using a DVD player software that has a slider, so if I want to jump back/forward, I can just slide the slider .... no need to search for chapters, etc. .. and of course, when playing DVD, I directed the video output to a TV, instead of my miniscule monitor. :D

Janak Parekh
08-01-2003, 05:13 AM
Ah, you should go to one of the office buildings in the tampines/raffles/technology park area (singapore)
That's because you're in one of the most connected places in the world. I'm so envious. :(

--janak

maximus
08-01-2003, 08:00 AM
Ah, you should go to one of the office buildings in the tampines/raffles/technology park area (singapore)
That's because you're in one of the most connected places in the world. I'm so envious. :(

--janak

And I envy you for the price of hardware on your part of the world.

This is a very good example (http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=825532/ut=c0c1a00599641342): $166 in the U.S., $275 down here. :| And that is not even a high-end product.

A high end product like this (http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=955058/ut=c0c1a00599641342) is $379 in the U.S., $550 down here.