View Full Version : decompressor error

jon o
07-29-2003, 11:52 AM
Hello

Hoping someone can help with virtualdub error message

I'm trying to downsize an avi file so that i can view it on my dell axim

when i come to start converting it in virtualdub i'm getting an error message which is
'no audio decompressor could be found to decompress the soucre audio format'

is that a error with my avi file or have i made the setting in virtualdub incorrect

thanks in advance

Jon O
:( :(

Buddha
07-29-2003, 01:52 PM
is that a error with my avi file or have i made the setting in virtualdub incorrect

This is not really an error in either, this simply means that virtualdub does not have a filter/codec to decompress the audio, so it cannot convert it.

A more interesting question is what kind of audio format the avi then contains. Can you hear sound when you play the file in windows media player or another player? If not then you need a codec to be able to hear the audio, if you do hear sound it could be that the audio in your avi is in AC3 (dolby) this format cannot be converted directly by the original virtualdub. demux the track and convert it separately using besweet or headac3he.

To find out what type of audio your avi contains use Gspot (found Doom9 (http://www.doom9.org) in the download section. This will tell you what's in your avi.

jon o
07-30-2003, 07:59 AM
Thank you for the reply

:lol:

KayMan2k
07-31-2003, 03:54 PM
There is a modified version of Virtual Dub (Called Virtual Dub MPEG2) which, in addition to loading MPEG2 and VOBs, can decode AC3 audio. It is also free and contains the same features as Virtual Dub (original project). I've been using it for a while now.. amazing!

jon o
08-01-2003, 11:57 AM
Hi

Any chance you can direct me to a download site where i can get that version on Virtual Dub MPEG2

thanks for help anyway.......

:roll: :roll:

Buddha
08-01-2003, 03:37 PM
http://fcchandler.home.comcast.net/stable/index.html

:wink:

jon o
08-12-2003, 06:52 PM
I've downloaded the virtualdub mpeg2 version but I seem to still be getting the same error, have i got to change my setting or what ?????

Is there a article or work throught to how i can get it to work......

:( :( :( :(