View Full Version : Comcast e-mail on iPAQ 2215

spcarso
07-29-2003, 06:14 AM
Does anyone have their Comcast e-mail working on their PPC remotely? I thought I would be able to configure the mail client to check the Pop3 account - enter my information and bingo. However, I have had no luck.

I connect my iPAQ 2215 to my Kyocera phone with a DPC and have no problems accessing the internet - where I can, of course, go to the Comcast website and check my e-mail, but I wanted to use the built in mail client.

victore
07-29-2003, 06:46 AM
i don't use comcast, but have you tried using the information from this page? http://online.comcast.net/faqs/faq-detail.asp?intFaqID=47

spcarso
07-29-2003, 07:08 AM
Thanks for the link. I tried those before and it just seems to search. I have created a new profile and I will try that one... as soon as I get back to work where I left my cable. doh!

isilver
07-29-2003, 02:03 PM
Make sure you are using the settings for SSL. The regular default settings may not work. I don't have access to the comcast documentation but I would suggest that you find the settings referring to travel settings. That is usually where the SSL documentation is located on most ISP's.

dh
07-29-2003, 02:22 PM
I access my Comcast e-mail using the T-Mobile hotspots while traveling.
I'm using WebIS Mail and set up the account using my username and password.

Service type = POP3.

The incoming server is mail.comcast.net
Outgoing server: smpt.comcast.net
Domain: www.comcast.net

I've not tried to use the built-in inbox program, but I'm sure it would work with the same settings. I've also not tried to use e-mail over a cellular system.

spcarso
07-29-2003, 05:23 PM
That was it! I don't know if I have to have the domain or not, but once I put it in I have my e-mail! Thank you so much for your posts!

spcarso
08-02-2003, 07:01 AM
... well almost. For some reason I can't send mail. It will pull from the server, but if I send an e-mail it says it can't find the server. I have checked the SMTP address several times, but I thought I would ask in case anyone had similiar experience.

SHoTTa35
08-03-2003, 06:29 PM
usually you can't send from outside address. They only allow IPs they own to access their SMTP servers since spammers use SMTP address to spam the hell outta everyone on the domain. So to block that you have to be on a Comcast IP range, whatever IPs they own so connecting from T-mobile sometimes wont work since they don't own T-Mobiles IP range... Sometimes you have to set it to use the location you are at SMTP servers (so if you're at T-mobile's spots then that then if you're at work then theirs) Kinda crazy to keep changing it but it's to prevent spam they say.

ppcnick
08-04-2003, 04:19 PM
I have had the same experience. I do have the option of sending mail via an outside server, but I need to set a non-standard port for the account in my email client. It doesn´t appear to be possible to do so in the ´´Inbox´´ program which came installed on my 2215. Any ideas? Or is there another, better email client available which WILL allow me to adjust this setting?

fmcpherson
08-04-2003, 05:42 PM
If you need to specify port numbers use nPop. Run a Google search for it.

PetiteFlower
08-04-2003, 06:20 PM
Confirmed that Comcast will NOT let you send mail unless you are connected through a Comcast connection or through the web mail setup; you can write on the PPC and send it when you connect it to your home PC though. Personally I just use it to read and wait until I'm home or on the web site to send.

PetiteFlower
08-07-2003, 11:35 PM
So, Comcast has been doing something odd with their servers this week so I decided to try an experiment. I went into the options for my pop3 service and checked "Outgoing server requires authentication". I then connected through my cell phone and attempted to send a test message. What do you know, it worked! Don't know why or how or if it will last, but I was able to send mail using my cell phone as a connection for my comcast account. Pretty cool!

Steven Cedrone
08-08-2003, 04:54 AM
The other thing they did that really pi$$ed me off: they changed the location of all of my online files (that means every link to pictures I have posted in the past are now boken)...

Man, they really get me going sometimes...

O.K., I have to reprimand myself... :nonono: :wink:

Steve

spcarso
08-10-2003, 08:22 PM
Hey Petite Flower,
I had the same experience with my e-mail settings. I set it to "Outgoing server needs authentication" and it worked for me. I was in the mountains all last week and I was sending and receiving e-mail like a normally hooked up person. (How patetic to be in this beautiful setting and all I could think about was getting my iPAQ 2210 running with my cell phone.) Anyway, it was fantastic to send a picture of my son playing in the forest to my brother in Japan. - Pretty groovy.

Also, what was fantsitic was http://www.gotomypc.com I have an account and had yet to connect to my desktop via my PDA. It was Oh-My-God cool! I wanted to recompress a video file, so I connected to my computer, than e-mailed the file to myself in the mountains! It worked flawlessly. I can't recommened the service enough.

Okay - I'm done babbly.

semyon
09-22-2003, 07:02 PM
You can often set the outbound mail port by adding a colon and a port number to the smtp server name. For instance, to use http://smtp.com on port 2525, you could specify "smtp.com:2525" for your smtp server. If that doesn't work, try the IP address of the smtp server followed by colon port number.

Semyon

KC
09-27-2003, 06:51 AM
I have the same Kyocera phone and Socket DPC card. You have to set the outgoing mail server based on your cell phone provider, not Comcast.

For example I use Verizon, and the outgoing server is mail.airbridge.net
Use the mail.comcast.net only for incoming mail.