View Full Version : Sprinkler systems and 60" Plasma TVs

maximus
07-25-2003, 06:34 AM
Either way wet paper does not hold up very good, Had a sprinkler go off in my house, My ebooks survived, my other books did not.

You installed sprinkler system in your house 8O ? Really ?

maximus
07-25-2003, 12:13 PM
I apparently miss the logic of installing auto sprinkler system in a house. :|

Janak Parekh
07-25-2003, 04:19 PM
It's more common in offices -- in short, it's a form of fire protection. There are downsides, though -- there have been many instances where a fire detector gets triggered accidentally and people's computers, paperwork, etc. are damaged.

--janak

maximus
07-28-2003, 02:03 AM
It's more common in offices -- in short, it's a form of fire protection. There are downsides, though -- there have been many instances where a fire detector gets triggered accidentally and people's computers, paperwork, etc. are damaged.

--janak

Yeah, but installing sprinkler in houses defeats the pupose, right ?

People trying to protect their asset from fire .. by risking destruction by water. :| Oops, I forgot that I should not smoke inside the house, sorry honey ... did I burn your brand new 60" plasma TV ?

ctmagnus
07-28-2003, 04:10 AM
sorry honey ... did I burn your brand new 60" plasma TV ?

Her 60" plasma TV? What about my 60" plasma TV? :wink:

maximus
07-29-2003, 01:54 AM
you mean, some people actually have money to own TWO 60" plasma TVs in one house ? 8O :mrgreen:

GoldKey
07-29-2003, 02:24 AM

Did this get broken off from another thread?

I have never seen a stand alone house with sprinklers. I have seen a few apartments with them though.

Janak Parekh
07-29-2003, 02:29 AM
Yes, sorry; from here (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15551&highlight=), although that backlink won't help much. ;)

In retrospect, you're totally right about apartments; I've seen it in quite a few.

--janak

dh
07-29-2003, 02:46 AM

I have never seen a stand alone house with sprinklers. I have seen a few apartments with them though.
The last house I owned in New Hampshire had a sprinkler system.

The town passed an addition to their building code that all new construction of any type had to have sprinklers.

The only good thing is a slight reduction in insurance rates.

The townhouse we live in now has sprinklers too.

maximus
07-29-2003, 03:12 AM
Uh, there is actually a regulation to force people to install sprinklers inside houses/apartments ? I thought that the smoke detector is enough.

p.s. and I thought that we are save, with Kati being away and Steve C. being asleep :p

Steven Cedrone
07-29-2003, 04:27 AM
p.s. and I thought that we are save, with Kati being away and Steve C. being asleep :p

Sleep??? What's that??? :wink:

Steve

droppedd
07-29-2003, 04:44 AM
Uh, there is actually a regulation to force people to install sprinklers inside houses/apartments ? I thought that the smoke detector is enough.

In most states it sure is, and AFAIK no one has yet required the retrofitting of all existing houses :). But the states choose some weird requirements once you decide to build new construction or add on to existing construction. Have a look at your state's building codes sometime - they're sure to be a blast :roll:.

The example most people are familiar with is the Americans with Disabilities Act. Any new buildings, even, for example, an Extreme Offroad Skating Training Facility, must be completely handicapped accessible, down to the number of degrees in the incline on the access ramp.

I work at a construction development company. I can tell you the real estate lawyers and expediters make fortunes just dealing with the byzantine system that is the Dept. of Buildings of New York to keep the ball rolling for developers.

Pony99CA
07-29-2003, 07:32 AM
Yeah, but installing sprinkler in houses defeats the pupose, right ?

People trying to protect their asset from fire .. by risking destruction by water. :| Oops, I forgot that I should not smoke inside the house, sorry honey ... did I burn your brand new 60" plasma TV ?
Remember that fire will destroy not only your possessions, but your house, too.

Presumably the structure is worth more than the possessions. If the sprinklers save your $200,000 house, but ruin $50,000 worth of goods, you and your insurance company will be better off.

In apartments, the situation is even more obvious. The apartment owner is more concerned about his investment -- the apartment building -- than your investments. Plus, if a fire spreads from one apartment to surrounding units, it wouldn't surprise me if the owner might even face negligence lawsuits for not having sprinklers.

Steve

Hyperluminal
07-29-2003, 02:59 PM
I've actually seen in some places, instead of using sprinklers they use a gas (I forget what it's called) that removes oxygen from the air, suffocating the fire and saving the computers and equipment. The only downside is that it also suffocates the people, so they have a short (few minutes) delay before using it, to let everyone get out...

aroma
07-29-2003, 03:02 PM
That's the typical setup in a data center type enviroment. They use to use Haylon gas, but they've moved to a different gas now for new constructions. Supposed to be safer than Haylon.

- Aaron

GoldKey
07-29-2003, 03:24 PM
That's the typical setup in a data center type enviroment. They use to use Haylon gas, but they've moved to a different gas now for new constructions. Supposed to be safer than Haylon.

- Aaron

You are right, most data centers I have audited use a Halon system. However, Halon is no longer used for environmental reasons. 150 countries agreed in the Montreal Protocol to control the use of all ozone-depleting chemicals, and Halon was one of the first to be considered.

You can still have it but you can't get it refilled. Most companies are proactively replacing it even if they still have a Halon supply becuase if the system is discharged, you can't get it refilled and are then without any fire protection until you can have a new system installed.