View Full Version : CF vs SD speed/battery drain issues

CEONelson
07-28-2003, 02:10 AM
I recently switched from a Visor Edge to a 2215 and am now wondering what the difference between different add-on memory would entail. I bought a 256MB CF card from Fry's, but have been thinking about replacing this with a 1GB microdrive as they've come down in price a lot or a 256MB SD card so I can have the CF slot open for wifi (but I think I'll just use bluetooth for home wireless access). Does anyone know the transfer rates for SD/CF/Microdrive and about how long the battery would last playing mp3s off of each of these cards (for a basic battery drain test)? Any input would be appreciated.

Also, has anyone tried streaming mp3s over a bluetooth lan connection? Is there enough bandwidth available to make it a viable alternative to wifi at home?

On a side note, it'd be cool if there was a hardware peripheral forum or somesuch for posts like this one.

Pony99CA
07-28-2003, 07:02 AM
On a side note, it'd be cool if there was a hardware peripheral forum or somesuch for posts like this one.
I agree that a peripheral forum would be nice; there is a Software forum (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=15) already.

Steve

gai-jin
07-28-2003, 02:09 PM
Can't give you specifics, but I know that SD cards are supposed to be faster than CF, though mine actually seems slower at times. Microdrives are going to drain the battery faster than anything, since it's actually got moving parts.

Gai-jin

Thinkingmandavid
07-28-2003, 02:11 PM
Doesnt the "hardware" section of the forum in the index cover that topic and area????
If hte ppc has to go through a greater amount of storage space, such as 256 vs 1gig, then it will obviously take longer on the one gig which may mean it being a little slower. 1gig also will use more batter, the more it has to sort through as well the more battey life is eaten up.

Steven Cedrone
07-28-2003, 05:12 PM
Doesnt the "hardware" section of the forum in the index cover that topic and area????

Only the News Team can post to that forum...

Steve

PetiteFlower
07-28-2003, 06:29 PM
A microdrive will also eat up LOADS more battery and have a much shorter lifespan then a flash card, with the moving parts and all.

maximus
07-29-2003, 03:04 AM
Can't give you specifics, but I know that SD cards are supposed to be faster than CF, though mine actually seems slower at times. Microdrives are going to drain the battery faster than anything, since it's actually got moving parts.

Gai-jin

Actually, 'regular' CF cards are faster than SD cards. Ultra CF cards are faster than the 'regular' CFs. That's why most professional digital cameras uses CFs instead of SDs.

Just for comparison : CF (http://www.sandisk.com/oem/cf-spec.htm) vs. SD (http://www.sandisk.com/oem/sd-spec.htm) ... note the data transfer rate to/from host and data transfer rate to/from flash

Yes, forget about microdrives. Microdrives eat more power and are slower than 'regular' CFs.

Thinkingmandavid
07-29-2003, 04:54 AM
OH, I didnt know that, thanks for telling me. If that is the case, then it doesnt make sense for us here not to be able to post about hardware in a specific forum...mmmm.