View Full Version : continuous charging?

Chris Pi
07-27-2003, 12:47 PM
Hi I have an Ipaq 5550 and I was wondering if it would hurt the battery to leave the Ipaq in the plugged in charging cradle for extended periods like say overnight?

portnoy
07-27-2003, 01:49 PM
I would hope not, as that is exactly how I treat my Toshiba. My understanding is that the worse thing you can do is run the battery down. I try to never let the Toshiba go below about 50%

EnsignRam
07-27-2003, 06:30 PM
I have a Ipaq 3850. The documentation specifically stated to keep the unit in the charger whenever possible. The battery is not harmed and can not be overcharged.

Back in the day this wasn't the case but these days it is no problem.

Janak Parekh
07-28-2003, 12:16 AM
Correct -- modern chargers have overcharge protection and actually shut off charging when appropriate. Keeping it full is about the best thing you can do.

--janak

madbart
07-28-2003, 01:38 PM
Correct -- modern chargers have overcharge protection and actually shut off charging when appropriate. Keeping it full is about the best thing you can do.

--janak

What about when charging is the craddle via USB?
The only time is use my AC Adapter is when i do a ROM Update

Thinkingmandavid
07-28-2003, 02:02 PM
It seems to me that in the usb you would have to watch it. Isnt the built in protection only in the cradle?? I could be wrong but that is how I understood it. If i am correct, then maybe there is a software or maybe it would be a good update, to have a software that recognizes the usb as a charger will have the same application as when in the cradle;)