View Full Version : How to disable automatic email download in PPC2k3"

LaserProUSA
07-26-2003, 10:10 PM
I have the iPAQ h5555 Pocket PC 2003 unit and although there are a few concerning quirks am very pleased with it. This particular quirk is very annoying and I cannot seem to disable it.

I use Pocket SpamFilter from PocketPC Soft and it works great to keep my email account free of spam. So after much evaluation I went ahead and ordered the software. Here is the problem though the InBox built into the Pocket PC 2003 OS automatically downloads my email even though I've already disabled "Connect and check for messages every: X minute(s)"

Is there something being missed here to COMPLETELY disable this automatic check and download of emails. This unfortunately defeats the purpose of the Pocket SpamFilter as the Inbox already has all the crap/junk that SpamFilter is designed to delete automatically prior to downloading any emails.

HELP!

Pony99CA
07-27-2003, 06:50 AM
I use Pocket SpamFilter from PocketPC Soft and it works great to keep my email account free of spam. So after much evaluation I went ahead and ordered the software. Here is the problem though the InBox built into the Pocket PC 2003 OS automatically downloads my email even though I've already disabled "Connect and check for messages every: X minute(s)"

Is there something being missed here to COMPLETELY disable this automatic check and download of emails. This unfortunately defeats the purpose of the Pocket SpamFilter as the Inbox already has all the crap/junk that SpamFilter is designed to delete automatically prior to downloading any emails.
Your question is leaving out some details.

First, are you synchronizing with an Outlook account or actually downloading from your E-mail account? I don't use Outlook for E-mail, but if Outlook has downloaded E-mail, when you synchronize, the E-mail will probably get placed in your Inbox (unless you've disabled that). You won't be connecting to your E-mail account, but it will look like the E-mail is downloading.

I'll assume that you're actually downloading, which leads to the second question. How are you connected when the E-mail is downloaded? Are you connected via ActiveSync or an Internet connection? If you're connected via ActiveSync, the Inbox starts in the background automatically. This causes E-mail to download.

Fortunately, I figured out how to disable that. See the "Getting an Inbox Password Error?" thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4573&start=10) for details.

Steve

LaserProUSA
07-28-2003, 03:06 PM
Allow me to clarify the problem. I use the iPAQ h5555 with the built in Wifi. I pretty much have it connected all the time when in my office or warehouse. This is the reason I picked up this model for the great Internet + multimedia abilities. Anyway I'm online quite a bit with Pocket IE, Pocket SpamFilter, Pocket Inbox, Pocket MSN, Journal Bar, etc. I don't use the ActiveSync for anything other than installing apps or exploring to copying over documents to/from the pda. Other than that I don't sync with my PIM apps or desktop such as contacts, calendar, inbox, tasks, etc.

My dilemma is even though I've disabled the Inbox automatic email check every X minutes I still glance at my iPAQ and see X unread messages regularly. This defeats the purpose of the Pocket Spamfilter as I havn't had a chance to run the app to process email prior to downloading with Inbox.

This whole issue may be moot as the developer just emailed me this morning and says that the automatic email check should be in the next release of Pocket SpamFilter and this will/should eliminate all rogue emails prior to whatever it is that Inbox is doing that automatically accesses and downloads my email.

BUT I would like to kill this annoying feature as I have to spend way to much time manually cleaning out all the junk/crap emails that come in. That is Pocket SpamFilters job.

Pony99CA
07-28-2003, 05:05 PM
My dilemma is even though I've disabled the Inbox automatic email check every X minutes I still glance at my iPAQ and see X unread messages regularly. This defeats the purpose of the Pocket Spamfilter as I havn't had a chance to run the app to process email prior to downloading with Inbox.
Have you tried setting the checking interval to some very large number?

Another thing to try would be disconnecting Inbox and only checking manually.

Steve

Chris Spera
07-28-2003, 06:28 PM
If you're using 802.11b to sync with your PC, then I'm not sure what can be done...altho I do remember something about this particular subject being discussed here on Thoughts some months back...

ActiveSync automatically downloads mail headers for Inbox, whether you have Mail selected as an active sync service or not. Some people find this irritating, others a convenience depending on how you use your PDA and Inbox. Either way, its automatic. I have just learned to live with it...

If I can remember what was said about this, I will post on that, but I don't remember if this could be turned off or not...

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera

Mastiff
07-30-2003, 05:19 PM
I got so annoyed with this "feature" on my PocketLoox, and now on my Ipaq 5450 (it only happens once or twice a week - I usually don't use my PPC for e-mail, but in spite of that it wants to use itself at times), so I just don't save the e-mail password. Then it can't log in when I don't want it to.