View Full Version : iPAQ 5550 Keyboard problems

Roel
07-26-2003, 06:51 AM
I just got my new iPAQ 5550 and after installing a lot of software (and searching for the correct updates) everything worked fine.

I also installed the keyboard drivers for my HP Foldable Keyboard (v.1.67) and my Slim keyboard (v.1.18).

But they don't work anymore (they did on my 5450). I tried everything (enable, disabe, deinstall other software) and finally I decided to do a hard reset.

After this I first installed only 1 driver to test if it would work with a clean 5550 but nothing.

Who's having the same problems or who can give me some hints of where to look or how to test what is causing the problem.

A friend of mine is also using the same configuration and everything seems to work fine???

Dave Beauvais
07-26-2003, 06:57 AM
There are known issues with many keyboard drivers and Windows Mobile 2003. When I reviewed (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/articles.php?action=expand,14768) the HP Slim Keyboard, I wasn't able to test with 2003, but at least one member here says it works fine with his h5555. I think we'll just have to hope that the various manufacturers will get on the ball and release usable drivers soon.

As for why your friend's configuration works fine, I can't even begin to guess. Is his also running Windows Mobile 2003 or does he have a Pocket PC 2002 device?

--Dave

madbart
07-26-2003, 08:44 AM
9 times out of 10 the drivers for accessories do not even get thought about until after an os os released.

madbart
07-26-2003, 08:45 AM
9 times out of 10 the drivers for accessories do not even get thought about until after an os os released.

Roel
07-26-2003, 09:24 AM
There are known issues with many keyboard drivers and Windows Mobile 2003. When I reviewed (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/articles.php?action=expand,14768) the HP Slim Keyboard, I wasn't able to test with 2003, but at least one member here says it works fine with his h5555. I think we'll just have to hope that the various manufacturers will get on the ball and release usable drivers soon.

As for why your friend's configuration works fine, I can't even begin to guess. Is his also running Windows Mobile 2003 or does he have a Pocket PC 2002 device?

--Dave

Good to hear this because I also am reviewing a lot of stuff for the dutch www.pocketpc-club.nl and I get really upset if things not work and I don't no it is the hardware or software.

I noticed some more issues with Windows Mobile 2003 like syncing POI (navigation) files through WLAN (Internet Access). And the app mentions it doesn't see the internet and I am able to browse and send email.

My Friend has bought his iPAQ 5550 and Slim Keyboard together with me (1 order). So this makes things even stranger, why does everything work on his iPAQ???

Cyberjoy
07-26-2003, 01:01 PM

--Dave

Hi Dave, I am the friend that Roel is talking about and I am also the one which replied on your HP slim keyboard review and said that it works fine on my 5550.

It still does. Both the keyboards work fine (although I gotta turn the other one off, but I can live with that).

Roel
08-01-2003, 10:10 AM
Ok, the solutions was a new iPAQ!!! My other one had a defective COM port (no serial sync, no keyboards, etc.)

But.......no I noticed another bug. This occurs with my Slim and Foldable keyboard.

Open Tasks, choose a task en choose edit. Now try to scroll down the page by using your cursor keys (up and down).....this doesn't work but the strange thing is that the left and right keys work fine.

Any other users who are seeing this??

racerx
08-01-2003, 03:39 PM
According to a HP support rep I spoke with, the keyboard drivers need to be re-written and the foldable keyboard does not work with the new OS. Not sure about any of the other keyboards that are "compatable" with that serial interface.

Roel
08-01-2003, 05:46 PM
The Foldable Keyboard does work and this is the only bug I discovered!