View Full Version : Transcriber - The number 1 vs. the letter I - Help!

mattchapin
07-25-2003, 08:21 PM
Hey everyone,

I've got a WM2003 (Toshiba E755) and I love the transcriber data input method - It's accuracy on my handwriting is really quite impressive.

However, one thing I absolutely cannot figure out is how to make transcriber differentiate between the number 1 and the letter I. (What usually happens is I want a 1 and get an I.)

Does it work for you? If so, what letter shapes do you use in the Transcriber setup? How do you draw them?

Thanks for your help!

Matt

prismejon
07-25-2003, 08:46 PM
Hi Matt!

If you tap on the drawn a-button (4th icon from the left) on the toolbar of the Transcriber, you'll get an overview of how to draw all the different letters. Just tap on the I and 1 and you'll get an overview of how they are written. If you tap on the red letters you'll se an animation of how it's drawn.

You'll also find a lot of nice info if you tap the "?" on the Transciber toolbar.

Best regards
Jan-Kristian

PJE
07-25-2003, 09:03 PM
I use caligrapher, but it may work in Transcriber...

I use a single stroke to write it:

Let's see if this is understandable. start in on the left middle of the character. Move horizontal before going up, down and when at the bottom do the bottom of the 1 by adding a left right move. This seems to get 1 most of the time...

||
^|
->-/|
V
|
+-<-+
+-->------

Also, using the shape selector I disabled the curly I's as I always draw I as a vertical and two cross bars.

Hope this helps.

redifrogger
07-25-2003, 10:07 PM
I too have trouble with I vs 1 and also o with 0.

If you tap on the drawn a-button (4th icon from the left) on the toolbar of the Transcriber, you'll get an overview of how to draw all the different letters. Just tap on the I and 1 and you'll get an overview of how they are written. If you tap on the red letters you'll se an animation of how it's drawn.

I've done this many times, but I'm unable to get around this problem. :(

mattchapin
07-25-2003, 11:11 PM
Guys,

Thanks for your input!

Both of these helped somewhat... here's another suggestion I found, that seems to be true:

Transcriber seems predisposed to "words" that are either all numbers or all letters, but not "mixed" words. In the case of "mixed" words, it seems to favor letters over numbers

So if I write "TC1205," at the very minimum it'll probably use the letter I where I want the number 1, no matter how hard I try. Who knows, I may even get "TCIZOS."

However, if I write "TC 1205" with the space, that's what I get.

I could always just hit the little button on the transcriber toolbar that forces it to recognize numbers... But since I tend to prefer "flying blind" without the little transcriber toolbar (I'm sorta fanatical about my screen real estate), this seems to be the best compromise.

-Matt

ctmagnus
07-26-2003, 12:50 AM
It doesn't like my w's. If I do a w in the middle of a word, it's fine but if I do a w on it's own it invariably ends up an n. Most other characters I've got down, though.