View Full Version : Deluo Black Box In-Car GPS Unit

marlof
07-25-2003, 07:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.deluo.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=DE&Product_Code=BBOXGPS&Category_Code=GR' target='_blank'>http://www.deluo.com/Merchant2/merc...ategory_Code=GR</a><br /><br /></div>The Deluo Black Box GPS is a nifty piece of equiment. "Simply install the Deluo Black Box GPS into your vehicle, and it will continuously record information according to time intervals or distance intervals of your choice." This gives you information on where your car was, how fast it was going, and how long it was going in total. "When your vehicle arrives home, you can wirelessly download detailed vehicle information from your car, to your home PC, laptop or PDA using Bluetooth technology." That is one cool way to keep a log on your car usage! "As an extra "bonus," this device is also a Bluetooth enabled GPS that lends itself to navigation applications while on the road. While in the vehicle, you can wirelessly connect the Deluo BlackBox GPS to your Bluetooth enabled laptop or palm-sized computer and run your favorite street or marine navigation software." So you get to use this as a built-in-your-car GPS unit was well. It uses the standard NMEA protocols, so it should be recognized by most popular mapping software. Geeks like us can get this cool stuff for $249 when pre-ordered.

James Fee
07-25-2003, 07:07 PM
Not sure if I want someone to know where I've been or how fast I've traveled. 8O

What kind of security is on this thing. Can anyone with a bluetooth device download the data?

GoldKey
07-25-2003, 07:11 PM
Add a wireless adapter and you have a poor mans lojack.

GoldKey
07-25-2003, 07:13 PM
Although they don't say it, I would bet the primary use of this device would be for people to covertly track a vehicle. Would be great to put in a kids car though so they know you are always watching.

24va
07-25-2003, 07:15 PM
From the demo, it looks like you can't 'hide' it. Power is by cig adapter which is no good (hate wire snakes in my car) But it also says you can 'hardwire' it into you car but does not elaborate.

ipaq38vette
07-25-2003, 07:18 PM
The Ferrari F50 (1995-97) has a 'black box' also. It is used primarily in racing at the strip.

entropy1980
07-25-2003, 07:32 PM
Also would have a great use to keep law enforcement honest, you could really prove you weren't speeding...etc.
Also I believe this model has bluetooth so you can have multiple uses from one box very cool!

Jonathan1
07-25-2003, 09:25 PM
Talk about a buzz kill for a kid who just asked his parents for the car that evening. 8O

He gets home and they review his driving record. Ouch. :lol:

James Fee
07-25-2003, 09:44 PM
He gets home and they review his driving record. Ouch. :lol:
Or you can look at your wifes or vise versa... This kind of stuff scares me and I sure hope insurance companies don't start pushing it. Oh sorry Mr Smith, we saw you were going over the speed limit at the time the man ran the red light and totaled your car, we won't pay" :(

This technology is not cool and I sure don't want someone in the next car over looking where I've been... 0X

marlof
07-25-2003, 11:18 PM
Man... you've got so much secrets to hide from other people. I couldn't care less if people could read my logs. ;)

But to be honest, I assumed there would be some sort of protection to keep your data safe from reading by prying eyes. If there's not, that might limit the use of this unit. But let's say that only I get to read my log files. I think that's pretty cool.

marlof
07-25-2003, 11:21 PM
I sure hope insurance companies don't start pushing it. Oh sorry Mr Smith, we saw you were going over the speed limit at the time the man ran the red light and totaled your car, we won't pay"

If that means that my montly bill would come down, because those that endanger the society by driving carelessly, and that now can hide that from their insurance company, making the company pay, which will end up in the entire customers bill, I have no problem with that whatsoever. But that may be because I know the law isn't that simple that just speeding a tiny bit would be a reason to not pay any damages.

James Fee
07-25-2003, 11:35 PM
Man... you've got so much secrets to hide from other people. I couldn't care less if people could read my logs. ;)
I've got nothing to hide, but I don't want my insurance company knowing what and where I drive. I also don't want the police being able to ride next to me and "download" what I've done for the day. Its none of their business.

If that means that my montly bill would come down, because those that endanger the society by driving carelessly, and that now can hide that from their insurance company, making the company pay, which will end up in the entire customers bill, I have no problem with that whatsoever. But that may be because I know the law isn't that simple that just speeding a tiny bit would be a reason to not pay any damages.
I don't buy that argument. This is a priviacy issue, not about lowering costs. I've never gotten a speeding ticket, nor got in an accident, but I sure as hell don't want my insurance agency looking at how I drive and where I drive. "Oh, we see you spend much time down in Tucson, AZ. Car theft rates are higher there, so we are raising your premium even though you live in Phoenix". Nothing is ever cheaper.

gpspassion
07-25-2003, 11:56 PM
If it works the same way as the Royaltek Bluetooth GPS (see CeBit photos here http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/articles.asp?id=46&page=3) I'm testing, then the security is enforced with a 4 number PIN (not the BT pin obviously). Now you might be forced to turn in that PIN of course ;-)

marlof
07-26-2003, 12:09 AM
I sure as hell don't want my insurance agency looking at how I drive and where I drive. "Oh, we see you spend much time down in Tucson, AZ. Car theft rates are higher there, so we are raising your premium even though you live in Phoenix". Nothing is ever cheaper.

That's exactly why in my country you have to state where you live, and what your usage pattern with the car is. You want something from them, they want a little of your privacy. It's the way things work. Things could go two ways: they can see how fast and where you were going, but you can proof you did nothing wrong with this kind of thing.

Why it is normal that we expect airplanes to have a black box, but find it a strange thing in a car is a riddle to me. IIRC, more people die from car accidents than airplane crashes each year.

ctmagnus
07-26-2003, 12:21 AM
What I would like to know is if the BT can be disabled in any way. The product ships with GPS Diagnostics and a GPS manager, so I hope it would come with a BT manager app.

James Fee
07-26-2003, 12:33 AM
That's exactly why in my country you have to state where you live, and what your usage pattern with the car is. You want something from them, they want a little of your privacy. It's the way things work. Things could go two ways: they can see how fast and where you were going, but you can proof you did nothing wrong with this kind of thing.
My privacy is too valuable to let some company decide how much to charge me. Its all moot though because this will never fly here. Sure people think black boxes are good until they find out how they can be used against you.
Why it is normal that we expect airplanes to have a black box, but find it a strange thing in a car is a riddle to me. IIRC, more people die from car accidents than airplane crashes each year.
Well whats next, "black box" in your smartphone? :D

Terry
07-26-2003, 01:17 AM
If you drive a recent Ford or GM, the "black box" is already there...http://216.239.39.104/search?q=cache:2KqcievYTFUJ:www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/edr-site/uploads/DallasMorningNews--Little-Known_Black_Box_Tech_Helps_Diagnose.pdf+&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

GoldKey
07-26-2003, 02:36 AM
If it works the same way as the Royaltek Bluetooth GPS (see CeBit photos here http://www.gpspassion.com/fr/articles.asp?id=46&page=3) I'm testing, then the security is enforced with a 4 number PIN (not the BT pin obviously). Now you might be forced to turn in that PIN of course ;-)

Yeah 4-digit password real tuff. :wink: Could manually get that in a few hours. Unless you can set up a system that locks a device after a certain number of invalid password your going to need a much stronger password to be effective.

Pony99CA
07-26-2003, 09:15 AM
Well whats next, "black box" in your smartphone? :D
Isn't that what E911 and location-based services are all about? ;-)

Steve

gpspassion
07-26-2003, 09:29 AM
Yeah 4-digit password real tuff. :wink: Could manually get that in a few hours. Unless you can set up a system that locks a device after a certain number of invalid password your going to need a much stronger password to be effective.

Well I'm not going to lock up my device right now but if it works like 99% of the other password schemes, 3 times is indeed your number of tries before you get locked out good and proper!

You'd figure the code manually?!

GoldKey
07-26-2003, 02:07 PM

Well I'm not going to lock up my device right now but if it works like 99% of the other password schemes, 3 times is indeed your number of tries before you get locked out good and proper!

You'd figure the code manually?!

Most stand alone hardware devices that have a password do not have a a lockout since you would have no way to unlock the password at that point and make the device usable again. I think you get an unlimited number of tries on the pocketpc as well. I would like an option to force a hard reset after a certain number of invalid access attempts.

And I was more making an example. I could crack that manually in a couple of hours. I would much prefer an automated process for cracking a password. A very effective security demonstrations for an auditee has been showing how quick the SAM file of NT could be cracked yielding the passwords when they were not of strong composition.

Pony99CA
07-26-2003, 03:40 PM
Most stand alone hardware devices that have a password do not have a a lockout since you would have no way to unlock the password at that point and make the device usable again.
There are ways to do that, though. For example, exponential lockouts (1 second for the first incorrect one, 2 seconds for the second, etc.) or three incorrect attempts locks you out for a day, even.

I think you get an unlimited number of tries on the pocketpc as well. I would like an option to force a hard reset after a certain number of invalid access attempts.
That would be a good trick to play on a "friend". Get their Pocket PC and enter the wrong password three times. You wouldn't even have to know which buttons did the hard reset. :-D

Steve

GoldKey
07-26-2003, 03:54 PM
There are ways to do that, though. For example, exponential lockouts (1 second for the first incorrect one, 2 seconds for the second, etc.) or three incorrect attempts locks you out for a day, even.

Agreed, that would be a great solution, but I have never seen something like that actually implemented.

That would be a good trick to play on a "friend". Get their Pocket PC and enter the wrong password three times. You wouldn't even have to know which buttons did the hard reset. :-D

I was more thinking something like 100-200. High enough that a normal user would never be stuck hard reseting their device, but low enough to make it much less likely that someone could brute force your password if the device was lost or stolen. As for the "friend" playing a trick, they are probably the ones I most need to protect my data from in the first place.

Of course, I wonder how many people use a password on a PPC and then procede to store the files they want to protect on a memory card.

JonnoB
07-27-2003, 04:16 AM
Of course, I wonder how many people use a password on a PPC and then procede to store the files they want to protect on a memory card.

I have wondered the same thing many times.

Pony99CA
07-27-2003, 08:09 AM
A little Super Glue on the memory card should fix that insecurity. :rofl:

Steve

GoldKey
07-27-2003, 02:52 PM
A little Super Glue on the memory card should fix that insecurity. :rofl:

Steve

Is it then considered built in memory? :wink: