View Full Version : Microsoft Opens Pocket PCs To New Designs

Janak Parekh
07-24-2003, 09:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.datamonitor.com/~29e8510c47454e36ad2cc00f2f67aea5~/all/news/product.asp?pid=09094908-0033-4507-B1A1-6FC9C904763B' target='_blank'>http://www.datamonitor.com/~29e8510...A1-6FC9C904763B</a><br /><br /></div>Right around the launch of Pocket PC 2003, Microsoft quietly relaxed the design constraints on Pocket PC devices -- precisely to spur more innovative handheld designs, like the Hitachi Pocket PC Phone with integrated keyboard.<br /><br />"Chris Hill, product development manager for Pocket PC with Microsoft said the company had possibly made PPC too much of a walled garden in previous editions, stifling innovation, and hopes to rectify that situation with the new release. 'Looking back we created a very tight definition of Pocket PC. Today our OEMs say they're really comfortable where we are but they want to make their own [idea of a] Pocket PC with the ability to customize and differentiate,' he said. As part of this strategy, Microsoft has decided to free up some of the previous design constraints for PPC devices. These include the freedom, for the first time, to support much smaller displays than was previously possible, with 2.8 inch quarter VGA now possible."<br /><br />I'd love to see other form factors, and I know I'm not the only one. This article makes it clear that this is now in the OEM's courts, not Microsoft's, to pull it off. We also know that OEMs are thinking about it; remember that HP concept iPAQ <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6367&highlight=integrated+keyboard">with an integrated keyboard</a>? Come on guys, let's see it happen! :way to go:

JonnoB
07-24-2003, 09:36 AM
ok guys... let's give Sony some design competition !!

Stephen Beesley
07-24-2003, 09:41 AM
Right now what we need is a PPC with the form factor of the Sharp SL 5600 linux PDA.

That is, of course, if HP doesn't have a fit of madness and decide to actually build that Ipaq concept design :drool: (finally get to use that drool icon!)

Goldtee

Mark Johnson
07-24-2003, 10:08 AM
Did you notice the end of that article:

Hill said the new developments in PPC 2003 could help lower the price of low-end devices to as little as $80, should OEMs choose to become more aggressive on pricing. Vendors such as Dell have already dramatically slashed the cost of PC PDAs from a minimum of around $500 to nearer $200.

Source: Computerwire

Whoa, that'd be cool.

optronix
07-24-2003, 10:17 AM
Well, if anybody would like hire an Industrial designer such as me to design for them some cool new PDA designs, I'd be glad to.

derosnec
07-24-2003, 11:41 AM
Two words - Jog Wheel !!!!
I smell another 'what is your ideal PocketPC thread coming on :D

Jonathon Watkins
07-24-2003, 11:42 AM
:twak: Please let them do something original for a change! :twak:

A Keyboard built into a device would be wonderfull!

Serge
07-24-2003, 11:45 AM
What us, customers want is :

- better screen resolutions: >=200 dpi on screen sizes as Toshiba Genio E550
- Clear tyPe of excellent quality

this IS possible at better prices as devices are now! See Sony !

Serge ETIENNE, switzerland

kendrick
07-24-2003, 11:46 AM
Hm. Nothing in the source article about whether or not these relaxed restrictions extend to non-alphanumeric input, external storage options, or processor type. I'd like it if an OEM could drop the microphone, run USB host drivers natively, and go back to the MIPS processor.

On one hand, this change of heart takes Pocket PC back to the original spirit of Windows CE, which was supposed to be very portable and easy to customize. Lots of different people have different needs, and relaxing the Pocket PC standards can only help manufacturers meet those needs. And if the .NET framework is as much like Java as its detractors say, then variations in input type or screen size won't affect the operability of CE 4.2 applications in the future (for true 'write once, run anywhere' functionality.)

On the other hand, we could end up with dozens of devices so different from each other that only an OEM will be able to publish software for its own Pocket PC. Microsoft thought that having to publish ARM, MIPS and SH-X software all at the same time was a pain... I can't imagine what they'll think when software has to be further subdivided by device type, screen size, batch number, or astrological symbol. This may end up being a step further backwards than they intended.

-KKC, who should know better than to bring up the subject of MIPS processors around here...

beq
07-24-2003, 12:33 PM
Yeah I'm thinking the relaxed constraints won't extend to changes that will break existing app compatibility? So 2.8" screen might be allowed, but must still be 240x320... And built-in keyboard would work too I think as apps can be used w/ different SIPs to begin with.

theone3
07-24-2003, 01:14 PM
Im thinking we need more of a "scalable" program resolution adaptation.. eg, you can use it at different resolutions like a PC.

Then we could have 640x480 3.5" 1910 screens :ppclove: :drool:

oh.. and digital ink would be nice too :)

PJE
07-24-2003, 01:42 PM
So the PocketPC team has secretly rewritten the PocketPC apps to support other screen resolutions/orientations?....Nope!

All we're likly to see are existing PocketPC style systems with thumboards and smaller/cheaper screens.

Given that, I hope these new devices are a success as it will lead Microsoft to rewrite the applications to support different screen/sizes and input devices, which will lead to better devices in the future.

mbeatle
07-24-2003, 02:00 PM
How about a hard flip cover ala sony clio? Doesn't even require any software changes.

KayMan2k
07-24-2003, 02:07 PM
remember that HP concept iPAQ with an integrated keyboard (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6367&highlight=integrated+keyboard)? Come on guys, let's see it happen! :way to go:

http://brighthand.com/article/iPAQ_h4100_Gets_Bluetooth_Qualification

Janak Parekh
07-24-2003, 02:20 PM
http://brighthand.com/article/iPAQ_h4100_Gets_Bluetooth_Qualification
Thanks for the link. I hope that the speculation is true... we'll have to wait and see. :(

--janak

droppedd
07-24-2003, 02:36 PM
How about a hard flip cover ala sony clio? Doesn't even require any software changes.

You mean Clie? Normally I don't correct spelling - but a Clio is either that old flip-screen mini-laptop form factor CE device, or a car by Renault :)

At least the new iPaq 2210 is a step back towards good flip covers - it has the holes in the back like the Clies so you can attach a flip cover. But they don't make any that use it yet, and my old Clie's cover holes are positioned differently, so I can't use the old Clie cover on my 2210 :(

Kevin Remhof
07-24-2003, 02:49 PM
What I want to see are the designs that none of us are thinking of. I want to be blown away. Look at when the folding Clie came out. Where did that come from?

Personally, I'd love to see something that makes my non-Pocket PC-owning-co-workers drool. Making me drool, that's easy.

Scott R
07-24-2003, 02:50 PM
Anyone privy to the list of requirements that have been dropped as well as the requirements that are still in effect?

Scott

gorkon280
07-24-2003, 02:53 PM
This is pretty cool news. My hope is that it does not cause OEM's to bring out devices that break apps. It's pretty nice to have only one compile and have it work on all PPC's (usually). My vote is for a Zaurus style flipping screen/keyboard. Also....can we have BT keyboards? PLEASE? (where's that beg emoticon?) That would be very cool! :drool:

Bob Anderson
07-24-2003, 03:00 PM
I think this points out an issue I've been trying to make for quite some time, MSFT does have some "power" with it's OEM partners that make PPC devices. Using that power wisely could improve the "customer experience" and I'm not just talking about bigger screens or built in keyboards!

My point? Well, I've been among the vocal crowd complaining about Toshiba's lack of upgrade support (even though I don't own a Toshiba.) In many of my posts of that genre, I've indicated that we need help from MSFT to convince the OEMs that they should have an upgrade policy for their devices.

Some people pointed out that really MSFT doesn't have that type of control... and that they can't be looked upon as a resouce to help us get manufacturers like Toshiba to step up...

But when MSFT has OEMs coming to them, indicating a desire to have flexibility in what constitutes a PPC (how it can be configured, etc.) I think it's fair to say that MSFT could have an opportuntity to indicate a desire to spell out an upgrade/support path for devices. If MSFT had felt enough heat over the issue, I'm sure some program manager would see fit to at least bring the issue up, if not include contract langauge ensuring consumers get a fair deal. When you've got someone coming to you, wanting something, it's a perfect opportunity ask for something in return!

Note to Microsoft: It's time to leverage a little bit of your "power" to better the the PPC experience. Help consumers know what they are going to get in terms of upgradeability at time of purchase... instead of letting the OEMs turn their heads and walk the other way.

Foo Fighter
07-24-2003, 03:55 PM
This may very well mark a turning point in the evolution of Pocket PC. With the yolk of Microsoft lifted on OEMs, more design innovations are possible. I wonder how far hardware designers are allowed to stray from the "walled garden"?

PPCRules
07-24-2003, 04:22 PM
I think the design restriction have definitely been a strength for the PcoketPC platform up to this point. And I think this is an excellent time for the change.

Having a consistent set of requirements allowed all the different devices to appear as one big force (synergy). People have come to know what a pocketPC is, because it was relatively consistent across brands (well, all but those who still call it a "Palm Pilot thingy"). These off-shore OEMs could come up with devices first and then shop them around, because the variables weren't so great, and now we have a plethera of suppliers.

Now that all these manufacturers have gotten onto the scene (anybody else you still waiting for? Just Sony.), this is a great time to allow them to differentiate their products and include value-added specialty features. This could get pretty exciting.

Shadowcat
07-24-2003, 04:31 PM
Does anyone know what Panasonic is will be releasing? This is the first time I've seen anyone mention Panasonic as a licensee.

GetAFix
07-24-2003, 06:30 PM
So, maybe we can have a Dick Tracy watch running pocket PC .
Something that we would have to reboot everyday :D

-Getafix

HOLLYWOOD_
07-24-2003, 06:40 PM
All we're likly to see are existing PocketPC style systems with thumboards and smaller/cheaper screens.

Getty up. Add always on CDMA or GSM and we have got a BlackBerry killer. It is such a shame that sooooooo many enterprises have depoloyed the BB -- Intel 386 processor, 5 MB of memory, Greyscale Screen. :idea:

PPCRules
07-24-2003, 07:30 PM
Why didn't someone stumble across this article before now? There seems to be a lot of insight in there for being a month old. After the PPC2003 release, I scrounged the web for information and never came across anything with this much depth and vision.

droppedd
07-24-2003, 07:33 PM
So, maybe we can have a Dick Tracy watch running pocket PC .
Something that we would have to reboot everyday :D

-Getafix

you mean like these (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14103)?

still waiting on SPOT. How MS will make home appliances wirelessly friendly with each other when they can't even get their bluetooth keyboard working with other BT adapters, or even with their own Pocket PCs, is beyond me.

Cortex
07-25-2003, 12:28 AM
These include the freedom, for the first time, to support much smaller displays than was previously possible, with 2.8 inch quarter VGA now possible."

Great 240x320 on a SMALLER SCREEN :?: :?: :?:

Are any neurons firing in these guys heads???

:crazyeyes:

Sven Johannsen
07-25-2003, 03:14 AM

How about a hard flip cover ala HP Jornada. Doesn't even have to leave the PPC camp for that.

Abba Zabba
07-25-2003, 07:57 AM
ok guys... let's give Sony some design competition !!

Screw that how about Sony come on board and give these current OEMs competition. Imagine if Sony backed PPC, what would we be using today :?: It was a bad decision when Sony purchased part of the Palm :evil:

Cortex
07-25-2003, 05:16 PM
i didnt read anything in the article that stated the screen resolution can be increased -- so i dont see sony headed this way (thankfully since MemoryStick $ucks).

its nice that the case design can be changed but smaller screens are a turn off as is the 240x320 resolution.

The PocketTV Team
08-02-2003, 02:24 AM
> Yeah I'm thinking the relaxed constraints won't extend to changes that will break existing app compatibility?

They already have :(

Some of the new Pocket PC's don't have a D-Pad, so many games will not run on those new devices.

See:
http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=557247#post557247