View Full Version : RealAudio codec... and player for pocket pc....

Skitals
07-24-2003, 12:32 AM
For some reason I have been using RealOne Player on my computer (havent installed winamp or anything yet) and actually have grown fond of the software. I was poking around and noticed you can easily transfer songs to an 'iPAQ Pocket PC' and just had to try out the feature :) Sure enough you just select the songs you want, click transfer and it encodes and copies them over very very quickly... faster then the wma software I use to have. So I installed Real Player for Pocket PC and tried out the mp3's I copied over. I selected the lowest quailty setting (32kbps) and was expecting it to sound like garbage but to my suprise it sounded VERY good... not much lose of quality at all. Anyway. I wasnt aware the RealAudio codec was so good. All you hear about is wma, mp3, and ogg these days. Size to quality ratio I think RealAudio would give any of these a run for their money.

Only downside is the software for pocket pc sucks. It's a nice interface and all, but unoptimized and stutters when activesync starts up, etc. And this is on my 2210.

Just thought I would share :mrgreen:

Reza
07-24-2003, 05:06 AM
RealVideo is also generally pretty good when it comes to streaming movies but similarly to the audio, very poorly implemented on the PPC: I tried to play a 38MB Real movie file today (reduced to a very small resolution) and it quickly turned to a slideshow... :|