View Full Version : One Month After Windows Mobile 2003 for Pocket PC Launched

Ed Hansberry
07-23-2003, 05:00 AM
Windows Mobile 2003 For Pocket PC is one month old today at this exact minute. :new-bday: This is when the NDAs were all lifted and press releases started flowing from Microsoft and their OEM partners. I am curious to see what the adoption rate is among our readers.

SHoTTa35
07-23-2003, 05:09 AM
well i definitely got mine and can't get enough of it! When i first saw the ipaq 2215 it was love at first sight :oops: then when i got it it was like 8O :multi: :clap: :drool: :shocked!: :onfire:

Jeff Rutledge
07-23-2003, 05:47 AM
I was very ready to get the 5550. I had struggled with the 2200 vs. 5500 for a long time, always changing my mind as new rumours surfaced.

Then the official announcements came and I decided the 5550 was the way to go.

Then I got a Siemens SX-56 (aka XDA) and everything changed. Now I'm waiting for the next Phone Edition device.

So for me there was no question about upgrading to PPC2003. It's just gonna take a little longer than I'd hoped. :?

madbart
07-23-2003, 05:57 AM
With all the "issues" that have been noted in the past month with WM2003 I can see no reason for any celebration. :?

I might load it and celebrate when they release the first service pack :clap:

brntcrsp
07-23-2003, 06:21 AM
As significant as the enhancements were, I don't feel it warrants jeopardizing my finances at the moment. But, when the check is in the bank, I will seriously consider the new XDA or a smartphone - it's time to go mobile...

maximus
07-23-2003, 06:29 AM
Purchased a 2210. Played with it for 3 days. No wow effect. Sent it to my girlfriend who lives abroad.

Dell Singapore sent a free windows mobile upgrade CD. Have not touched it. Still with my trusty axim X5 and PPC2002. Waiting for the upcoming X7.

Shadowcat
07-23-2003, 06:36 AM
I'm going to order a H2215 soon. I was also hoping for HP to start selling flip covers for the H221X but they haven't materialized :devilboy:.

SubFuze
07-23-2003, 06:54 AM
Where's the option for:
"I bought a 2002 device within the last year and my OEM isn't providing an upgrade path." :really mad:

DVallot
07-23-2003, 06:54 AM
*sniff* I miss my Nino. Philips is pulling a "Toshiba" and not offering WM2003 for it! :mrgreen:

wrightca
07-23-2003, 07:06 AM
Where's the option for:
"I bought a 2002 device within the last year and my OEM isn't providing an upgrade path." :really mad:

Ditto.

xoiph
07-23-2003, 07:54 AM
Where's the option for:

Same here. I don't see HP offering an upgrade for the 1910. But at least it doesn't have that nasty yellow tint! :razzing:

Andrew
07-23-2003, 08:15 AM
I would like to get it - but the microsoft site doesnt allow me to select the country I currently reside in (Czech Republic), so theres no way I can order it from them :( Even though I have an English Ipaq and want the English version.
Ive emailed HP here locally, but am still waiting for a response. Im surprised that its this complicated though, I know that they generally made a mess of the 2002 upgrade, but at least there I was able to choose to have it sent to me here.

rmasinag
07-23-2003, 10:07 AM
Just got my 2210 education price..saved the money for extra battery and travelsync cable :D

I noticed 2003 is better in some multimedia but somewhat slower than my 3135 in some apps. :(

Hmmmmm...........wonder if its the Xscale or 2003 itself.

Mebbe I should have stuck to Samsung procs :cry:

finally, hey jason, when can I get the coupon for the Vaja case....need it in three days :mrgreen:

rmasinag
07-23-2003, 10:10 AM
to add......the volume control on the WMP9 on the 2210 is choppy when being adjusted.

no usch problems in my 2002 H3135........

could it just be me........ :?:

wocket
07-23-2003, 10:24 AM
I had thought about waiting and getting the 5550 but could'nt justify the price.

So I went for the 2220 instead which for me has a WOW factor as I have been using a 3850 and the screen is so much better, plus bluetooth enabled the only thing that concerns me really is the battery life.

Mind you i'm able to use the 2220 with the brightness turned most of the way down and it is still a better display than my 3850 and I had it on most of the night watching a couple of episodes of 'Hellsing' on it.

theone3
07-23-2003, 11:17 AM
Where's the option for:

Ditto. double ditto

Ravenswing
07-23-2003, 12:16 PM
There's also, "I can't upgrade my ancient iPAQ 3600 which has served me well all these years, but I could really do with a replacement, but I can't afford a new device right now."

Okay, so that might have been a little long winded and specific, but you get my drift.

that_kid
07-23-2003, 01:05 PM
Well I've been using my 5555 for about 3 weeks now and love it. Coming from a 5455 it's like day and night as far as performance and stability goes. I have to say that I do like the new os and that I haven't had any problems with it. I'm a extreme power user and so far everything has been good but there's always room for improvement :wink:. I was a bit diassapointed that the new os didn't have alot of new bells and whistles, but I look at move between ppc2002 to wm2003 just like moving from windows 98/me to 2000. Sure programs have to be updated and and on the outside it looks the same, but the stability is great. It's been so long since I had to do a soft reset that I've almost forgot where the button is.

Timothy Rapson
07-23-2003, 01:36 PM
and stability goesSure programs have to be updated and and on the outside it looks the same, but the stability is great. It's been so long since I had to do a soft reset that I've almost forgot where the button is.

Now, this makes me wonder if I did the right thing in ordering a Zayo PPC 2002 model on closeout.

I simply did not see any significant advance in Mobile 2003 that would make it worth passing up the fastest of the PPC 2002 models at an Axim price. Hope I don't regret it. I would happily pay an extra $100 if I could be sure I would not have to reset as much.

Ed Hansberry
07-23-2003, 02:16 PM
Now, this makes me wonder if I did the right thing in ordering a Zayo PPC 2002 model on closeout.

I simply did not see any significant advance in Mobile 2003 that would make it worth passing up the fastest of the PPC 2002 models at an Axim price. Hope I don't regret it. I would happily pay an extra $100 if I could be sure I would not have to reset as much.
That is what 2003 is all about. Some bells and whistles, but mostly it is the new CE 4.2 OS underneath. Far more stable, faster, etc. And that isn't to say 2002 was unstable, it wasn't. 2003 just makes it that much tighter.

daveshih
07-23-2003, 02:57 PM
Where's the option for:

Ditto. double ditto

Tripple that. <sigh> Jornada 56x <sigh>

rlobrecht
07-23-2003, 03:32 PM
I'm in that I have a Toshiba E740 and the finances won't allow me to buy a new device just now.

Jacob
07-23-2003, 03:43 PM
I was thinking of upgrading, but then I realized the only reason I wanted to was the "neat new toy" factor.

I realized my money was better spent on more practical things like food and rent and stuff like that. :D

Kiyoshi
07-23-2003, 04:30 PM
I would upgrade to WM2003 by all means, but I've got an e740 :frusty:

Darn Toshiba......maybe I could sell my e740 and get a iPaq 2210.....

David C
07-23-2003, 07:10 PM
Where's the option for:

Ditto. double ditto

Tripple that. <sigh> Jornada 56x <sigh>

Quadruple that. Damn Casio's disregard for the crappy E-200!

David C
07-23-2003, 07:13 PM
I just want my WMP9. I can live with everything else.

GetAFix
07-23-2003, 07:36 PM
Well, I got my 2210. This is my first PocketPC device and having fun with every bit of it.

I'm still in the process of exploring the operating systems and all it's features and have no reasons to complain so far :D

- Getafix

The Half-Ling
07-23-2003, 09:45 PM
Absolutly Loving my 5555 :D

Jake-

portnoy
07-23-2003, 09:57 PM
Where's the option for:

Ditto.

Double ditto. Apparently Toshiba is going to save me a few bucks in lieu of having a totally cool up to date pocket OS. :cry:

bbarker
07-24-2003, 12:38 AM
Where's the option for:
Same here -- Jornada 568. It's meeting my needs but I'd like the new OS for its stability and better wireless support. I won't buy a new device until I can get something smaller that has a flip-up screen cover so I don't have to add the bulk of a case. The HP 2200 would be fine but it lacks the cover and a side scroll control. Plus, an HP has to be a lot better than the competition for me to buy one now.

maximus
07-24-2003, 02:22 AM
I was thinking of upgrading, but then I realized the only reason I wanted to was the "neat new toy" factor.

I realized my money was better spent on more practical things like food and rent and stuff like that. :D

Amen, brother. :beer:

maximus
07-24-2003, 02:25 AM

Perhaps you should append your signature to:

DON'T TRUST TOSHIBA.

That would really be entertaining :D

Prevost
07-24-2003, 05:49 AM
Well I've been using my 5555 for about 3 weeks now and love it. [...] It's been so long since I had to do a soft reset that I've almost forgot where the button is.Man, do you mean 3 weeks without a soft reset is a long time??? 8O

Probably that's improvement for PocketPC. I am glad for you. Sincerely, no kidding. But in terms of stability that's nothing compared to Palm OS. I am not ranting.

In this sense, Pocket PC is chasing Palm OS...as it is in screen resolution. Very sad ...screen themes are cool and not available in Palm...for now.

A Palm user.

Ed Hansberry
07-24-2003, 05:58 AM
Probably that's improvement for PocketPC. I am glad for you. Sincerely, no kidding. But in terms of stability that's nothing compared to Palm OS. I am not ranting.
It is funny how people compare soft reset times between a Palm and Pocket PC as if they were the same thing. It has been about 2 decades since I've soft reset my solar calculator but that doesn't mean a Palm is unstable because you need to reboot it once in a while, or that a PPC is unstable because you need to reboot it a bit more often than once in a while. How stable is a Palm connected over Wifi with the email client downloading messages while chat is up and running and you are downloading an ebook from Peanut Press in the background? :wink: Did that tonight with my 2215. :mrgreen:

ctmagnus
07-24-2003, 06:13 AM
How stable is a Palm connected over Wifi with the email client downloading messages while chat is up and running and you are downloading an ebook from Peanut Press in the background? :wink: Did that tonight with my 2215. :mrgreen:

Any slowdowns/bottlenecks?

Ed Hansberry
07-24-2003, 06:16 AM
How stable is a Palm connected over Wifi with the email client downloading messages while chat is up and running and you are downloading an ebook from Peanut Press in the background? :wink: Did that tonight with my 2215. :mrgreen:

Any slowdowns/bottlenecks?
Nope. I'll be glad when Pocket Plus gets fixed so I can be browsing other pages with other PIE windows while downloads transpire.

jbachandouris
07-24-2003, 01:49 PM

DON'T TRUST TOSHIBA.

That would really be entertaining :D

I second that don't trust Ebay. How about Paypal? I had to sell my 5450 on Ebay to pay the rent. The buyer was from overseas and using an unauthorized credit card. Now I have to hope that Paypal doesn't try to charge me back even though THEY were the ones who told me to go ahead and ship the unit. No job, no money, no luck!!!

Kiyoshi
07-24-2003, 04:56 PM
I second that don't trust Ebay. How about Paypal? I had to sell my 5450 on Ebay to pay the rent. The buyer was from overseas and using an unauthorized credit card. Now I have to hope that Paypal doesn't try to charge me back even though THEY were the ones who told me to go ahead and ship the unit. No job, no money, no luck!!!

Paypal can be weird sometimes too. Like if someone sends money directly from their bank account it takes a few days for the transfer to go through, and THEN you have to accept it. Someone paid an auction of mine like that and we had to do the payment twice cuz I didn't know what the heck was going on the first time!!! Sorry to hear you had to ditch your PDA though :(

DON'T TRUST TOSHIBA.

Haha I'll get to it right away!

BTS
07-24-2003, 05:37 PM
It is funny how people compare soft reset times between a Palm and Pocket PC as if they were the same thing. It has been about 2 decades since I've soft reset my solar calculator but that doesn't mean a Palm is unstable because you need to reboot it once in a while, or that a PPC is unstable because you need to reboot it a bit more often than once in a while. How stable is a Palm connected over Wifi with the email client downloading messages while chat is up and running and you are downloading an ebook from Peanut Press in the background? :wink: Did that tonight with my 2215. :mrgreen:

I agree, Ed. My Handera 330 (running with a wireless card) simply could not do all of those things that you mentioned. I have my chat on and will often be e-mailing reports at the same time. Downloading "over the air" is perhaps the coolest thing I have done on a PDA. In fact, the only time I ActiveSync is when I need to make a full backup of my device (and I can do that right on the device). Because I am so mobile a laptop just isn't as convenient as my 750.

As for resets I did a lot on my Handera (pick your reason for this happening). The recovery time between that and my Toshiba doing a soft reset is quite different - the Handera took much longer. A 750 takes about 7 seconds to fire up again. Big deal! That's still a helluva lot faster than my Windows XP notebook to reboot if things go south. I have also found that wm2003 just does not "crash" that often (and if it does it seems to be related to a Wi-Fi problem).

I have nothing against the Palm or those who use them (they are good machines - it depends on how you're going to use your PDA). I get very tired of reading the mainstream press and listening to the same stability/speed arguments. What, do they actually carry 2 devices around with them all the time and compare? It's an apples and oranges thing. Buy the device that does the job for you. :D

maximus
07-25-2003, 01:50 AM
Haha I'll get to it right away!

DON'T TRUST
DON'T TRUST

Cool ! The more people you dont trust, the merrier. Ha ha.

Prevost
07-25-2003, 03:14 AM
How stable is a Palm connected over Wifi with the email client downloading messages while chat is up and running and you are downloading an ebook from Peanut Press in the background? :wink: Did that tonight with my 2215. :mrgreen: I do not know. We STILL do not know what the hell is WiFi here in Panama. :rotfl: Poor of us here in the Third World.

But, if I have to pick between a thing that most likely won't need a reset and another that I know will need a reset a bit more often than once in awhile just doing a list of defects in a building on Word or looking at its construction plans on a CAD program (just everyday actions, not your x-power scenario), I will BUY A PALM and not a Pocket PC.

Guys, I don't want to fire on you just because I use a platform different than yours. Actually, I am not firing on you. Simply, as much as I am attracted to PocketPC devices and to it's fancy looking Today Screen and switchable Themes, I just CANNOT rely my day to day work on a piece of technology that can make me lose a working day just because it is complex or quirky.

And I want to let you know, since I won't be heard by Billy.

maximus
07-25-2003, 06:40 AM
It is funny how people compare soft reset times between a Palm and Pocket PC as if they were the same thing. It has been about 2 decades since I've soft reset my solar calculator

Yeah, The abacus that I have used since elementary school never needed a soft-reset either. It must be the most stable equipment ever build on earth. :devilboy:

bbarker
07-25-2003, 07:33 PM
Simply, as much as I am attracted to PocketPC devices and to it's fancy looking Today Screen and switchable Themes, I just CANNOT rely my day to day work on a piece of technology that can make me lose a working day just because it is complex or quirky.
I've been using Pocket PCs since the beginning and, before that, Windows CE Pocket-sized PCs from the beginning. I use them heavily. I have NEVER lost "a working day" or other data. I've never had a spontaneous hard reset. I've never felt at risk for my info.

Prevost
07-25-2003, 09:08 PM
Probably I am ANOTHER victim of Palm-wise thinking going on for too much time.

In fact, before my Honda, I had 3 Toyotas and believed eyes shut that was the better car brand. Now I think different.

But you will agree that habits are hard to break. It becomes a point in which you think doing it the other way is risky.