View Full Version : Sony Ericsson T300 and T-mobile question

JackTheTripper
07-22-2003, 08:25 PM
Can you use a data cable to get online using T-mobile and the T300? I'm going to be changing cell providors from SprintPCS and T-mobile has a great plan. 3000 anytime minutes for $50/month. But I want to make sure I can use that particular phone as a modem.

Thanks.

Janak Parekh
07-22-2003, 08:50 PM
I think so. But why that phone? You can get a Bluetooth-enabled SonyEricsson T68 or Nokia 3650 free from Amazon with a new T-Mobile account; and a brand-new SE T610 (successor to T68, with camera) is only $99. They all also have IR, I believe, in case you don't want to spend money on a BT adapter for your Pocket PC.

--janak

JackTheTripper
07-22-2003, 09:17 PM
Well SCHITE! I wanted the t68i but couldn't find it for less than $199 and I'm uber poor right now.

Thanks! I'll look into it.

Janak Parekh
07-22-2003, 09:19 PM
Well SCHITE! I wanted the t68i but couldn't find it for less than $199 and I'm uber poor right now.
Indeed, Amazon is the way to go.

One warning: the T68 is known to have a bit worse reception than other phones. It varies depending on what area you're in; if you have good T-Mobile coverage, then don't worry about it, otherwise consider getting the Nokia 3650 instead, although it is indeed quite a bit bulkier, or the T610.

--janak

JackTheTripper
07-22-2003, 09:38 PM
Problem... If I go through Amazon to buy the phone I have to buy service from them as well. But I want to do the family plan and they don't offer that.

This is way too complicated. I've been searching and re-searching and researching for weeks. I give up! I don't care anymore. I'm just going to the mall and getting whatever they give me.

Janak Parekh
07-22-2003, 09:42 PM
Problem... If I go through Amazon to buy the phone I have to buy service from them as well. But I want to do the family plan and they don't offer that.
Ah. You do have a problem there. :( Maybe, just maybe, sign up with Amazon and then "switch" over to the Family plan via telephone? I wonder if you could pull that off. :)

This is way too complicated. I've been searching and re-searching and researching for weeks. I give up! I don't care anymore. I'm just going to the mall and getting whatever they give me.
Hmmmmmm. Unfortunately, you might not get a deal. If you want to do the mall route, I suggest you first see what models you can get there, come back and look up which units are connectable. Also, if there are third-party wireless retailers, they might be able to give you a discount on the T68 -- it's effectively discontinued with the release of the T610. Or get a Nokia 3650 -- T-Mobile is selling it for $149 with rebate -- so you should be able to get that price from a T-Mobile outlet.

Good luck!

--janak

eustts
07-22-2003, 10:04 PM
A good alturnative to the T68i is the R520m. You can find it unlocked for under $100 Dollars. It has a ton of features just like the T68i. :D

Janak Parekh
07-22-2003, 10:05 PM
A good alturnative to the T68i is the R520m. You can find it unlocked for under $100 Dollars. It has a ton of features just like the T68i. :D
Ah, right! There's also the T39m. Smaller than the R520m but also has Bluetooth, and I bet you can find deals for it too.

--janak

james4513
07-23-2003, 01:43 PM
I spoke with T-Mobile about this. The rep said just sign up with Amazon, then change the plan to Family after you activate. You can order 2 phones (looks like it takes two separate orders), combine them on a family plan, and still get 2 rebates.

JackTheTripper
07-23-2003, 06:39 PM
I spoke with T-Mobile about this. The rep said just sign up with Amazon, then change the plan to Family after you activate. You can order 2 phones (looks like it takes two separate orders), combine them on a family plan, and still get 2 rebates.

Haha! I was just about to call them and ask this exact question. Thanks. I was just woried about them transfering one acct to the family plan and charging an early cancelation fee for the other one.

FlyPenFly
07-29-2003, 08:41 AM
Where would you get the R520m or T39m? And are they compatible with the USA networks of GSM 1900?

eustts
07-29-2003, 05:24 PM
The R520M is a world phone as well as the T39M.

I haven't looked in a while, but try www.expansys.com. :D