View Full Version : Sprint To Offer Wi-Fi... With Roaming

Janak Parekh
07-22-2003, 05:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/pcworld/20030721/tc_pcworld/111676' target='_blank'>http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm..._pcworld/111676</a><br /><br /></div>This is interesting: Sprint is set to launch a Wi-Fi service on Monday. However, part of their network will be built out of roaming deals. I believe this is the first time I've seen this of a major nationwide network -- dare I hope other Wi-Fi providers start to deploy similar solutions as well?<br /><br />"Prices are not yet available for the service, which will be launched by the end of this quarter, and charges for the Wi-Fi service can't be integrated into Sprint customers' cellular service bills until late this year. However, the combination of Sprint's own hot spots and those available through roaming deals will create one of the largest networks of hot spots in the country."

David Prahl
07-22-2003, 05:07 PM
What kind of coverage are we talking here? Will this be like T-Mobile hotspots (few and far between)?

Crystal Eitle
07-22-2003, 05:07 PM
Sprint isn't ideal, but they seem to be one of the best carriers in terms of "nationwide" coverage. I've been able to use my Sprint phone all across the country without incurring roaming charges, as well as having free long distance. I think Sprint is one of the best carriers for those who have to travel a lot.

Janak Parekh
07-22-2003, 05:10 PM
Sprint isn't ideal, but they seem to be one of the best carriers in terms of "nationwide" coverage. I've been able to use my Sprint phone all across the country without incurring roaming charges, as well as having free long distance. I think Sprint is one of the best carriers for those who have to travel a lot.
Well, that's their cell phone service. This will be a lot more like T-Mobile HotSpot, which is Wi-Fi and has mostly specially-placed coverage. (In other words, Dave, I would say the answer is "Yes".)

--janak

Fzara
07-22-2003, 05:15 PM
Janak, and other people who live in NYC, I was wondering if you could tell me what the coverage is like in NYC. I've heard horrible stories of how Sprint doesn't work in Northern New Jersey and I was curious as to how Sprint is in a large city.

Sprint has always had the BEST phones, in my opinion, but the coverage was definitely not up to par with T-Moble around the areas I have needed it to be. A couple of my friends have Sprint on campus, and they are definitely not pleased.

Janak Parekh
07-22-2003, 05:17 PM
Janak, and other people who live in NYC, I was wondering if you could tell me what the coverage is like in NYC. I've heard horrible stories of how Sprint doesn't work in Northern New Jersey and I was curious as to how Sprint is in a large city.
Sprint's cell phone service, as most providers', is just fine in most of NYC. (Note that every carrier has some weak in-building spots, although they're not the same, due to the steel high-rises we have.)

Sprint has always had the BEST phones, in my opinion, but the coverage was definitely not up to par with T-Moble around the areas I have needed it to be. A couple of my friends have Sprint on campus, and they are definitely not pleased.
It really depends on where you are. Sprint has been steadily improving, although they're still no Verizon or AT&T (TDMA).

--janak

gorkon280
07-22-2003, 05:27 PM
It will never be like cell phones are today. WiFi (B or G) just can't handle it. It would take too many AP's to cover an area with good enough coverage to make it as ubiquitous as cellular technology (AMPS, GSM or CDMA). I wish that there were more WiFi hotspots, paid or unpaid and of the paid ones, I wish there was a plan that would make it worthwhile. There are no T-Mobile hotspots close to my house. There are a few free ones and they are in good places (coffee house!). In place I would like free ones, there just isn't. Public libraries would be IDEAL for this! They would not even have to pay for it. Just help the free guys set it up. That would drive people to the library! Also, public transportation depots like main bus stops, greyhound stations and terminals would also be good. I'd say put it on the bus, but it would be difficult to get something high speed on something that moves. One option could be along the routes, install a AP on every stop in the downtown and that would be great! ADVERTISE that when riding the RTA downtown, you can surf the web! Some would gladly ride the bus in this case! Airports also would be a good free place and hotels.....it should be free at the hotel guys! If it was between two places, one cheap, one more but with WiFi, I would pay more.

Janak Parekh
07-22-2003, 05:29 PM
It will never be like cell phones are today.
I agree. My point was that I hope that we'll at least see more roaming take place, so there's a chance a Wi-Fi-enabled Pocket PC will be useful in more places.

Case in point: there's a Wi-Fi enabled Verizon phone booth right down the street from my office. I can't use it, even though I can see the antenna on top of the phone booth. :cry:

--janak

Fzara
07-22-2003, 05:35 PM
It really depends on where you are. Sprint has been steadily improving, although they're still no Verizon or AT&T (TDMA).

--janak

Wouldn't this be largely due to their "all-digital service?" Why have an all digital service, if some areas analog service is provided and roaming charges are incurred? :bangin:

Janak Parekh
07-22-2003, 05:37 PM
Wouldn't this be largely due to their "all-digital service?"
Partially, but not entirely. Verizon has more pervasive digital service in the Northeast, because they've been here forever and it's far easier to convert ancient analog towers to digital, as compared to putting up new towers because of the NIMBYs.

Why have an all digital service, if some areas analog service is provided and roaming charges are incurred?
You don't have to use analog. It's easy to force your phone into a digital-only mode. For Sprint customers, analog is there as a backup. In fact, everyone is going digital -- Verizon and AT&T (GSM) are already releasing digital-only phones, Sprint has had some for some time, T-Mobile only sells digital-only phones and by 2007/2008 we'll be ready to ditch the AMPS network.

--janak

Crystal Eitle
07-22-2003, 05:39 PM
I have a dual digital-analog phone. I've had to use analog a couple times when there was no digital signal, and I incurred roaming charges, but this was pretty seldom. I was grateful to have the analog option, as it's better than having no signal at all.

Fzara
07-22-2003, 06:22 PM
That's awesome news. But one of my points with Sprint was that in an area where there is no digital service, it would be better if they had analog service as a combo, since using analog would be treated as roaming from other networks. (if I'm correct)

I don't know; T-Mobile has good service, while Verizon seems to lead the way with their service around NJ, while sacrificing good phones.

joechen
07-22-2003, 07:17 PM
I tried a T-mobile hotspot in Borders the other day. It was good for surfing, but they blocked all other ports, like for FTP, Telnet, IM and VPN. So in a way it was limiting unless you wanted just to surf.

That kinda put the damper on my excitement for all these hotspots (Sprint, McDonalds, T-mobile, etc...), as I'd like to do more stuff than just browsing around websites.

merlin
07-22-2003, 09:06 PM
Any idea when AT&T will roll out WiFi?

I also tried out the T-Mobile at Borders and found it speedy, but I didn/t try FTP. If I can't FTP that would be a bummer :(
I like the way T-mobile gives you 50% off the Wi-Fi if your already a cell phone customer. I wish AT&T would follow suit.

Janak Parekh
07-22-2003, 09:09 PM
I tried a T-mobile hotspot in Borders the other day. It was good for surfing, but they blocked all other ports, like for FTP, Telnet, IM and VPN. So in a way it was limiting unless you wanted just to surf.
Are you sure? Their FAQ site (http://www.t-mobile.com/hotspot/support_faq.htm) seems to disagree:

6. Can I access my corporate network using T-Mobile HotSpot?
If your employer has provided you with a virtual private network (VPN) client and a firewall, you can seamlessly access your corporate network. T-Mobile strongly recommends that its customers take measures to ensure the security of their wireless connections, such as virtual private networks (VPNs), encryption and firewalls. As with any wireless communication, the T-Mobile HotSpot service is not inherently secure and you should ensure you have adequate security safeguards in place. See the Hotspot Security Statement posted on our website for additional information concerning the security of the service and steps you can take to enhance the security of the service.
Maybe the one at Borders was configured wrong, or maybe you need to authenticate against the website first before you can use other ports? I haven't used the Hotspot recently, as my Pocket PC phone doesn't support Wi-Fi, so I can't really speak for them, but it would make no sense if you couldn't POP3/IMAP/PPTP/IPsec/etc.

--janak

joechen
07-22-2003, 11:17 PM
Are you sure? Their FAQ site (http://www.t-mobile.com/hotspot/support_faq.htm) seems to disagree

Perhaps their firewall was configured incorrectly, but I tried my VPN client and it couldn't connect. I paid the daily rate so I was an authorized user. This was at the McCarthy Ranch Borders in Milpitas, in case anyone else is in my area.

Has any one had success with VPN/Telnet/FTP in any of their hotspot locations?

dh
07-22-2003, 11:18 PM
Maybe the one at Borders was configured wrong, or maybe you need to authenticate against the website first before you can use other ports? I haven't used the Hotspot recently, as my Pocket PC phone doesn't support Wi-Fi, so I can't really speak for them, but it would make no sense if you couldn't POP3/IMAP/PPTP/IPsec/etc.--janak

I've never been to a Borders where the T-Mobile worked, or even existed. This dispite the sign on the door, the sign on the counter and the T-Mobile logo on the coffee cups.

Had better luck in Starbucks, where I seem to get exactly the same features as if I was logged on my wireless network at home.