View Full Version : winning combination?

solus
07-22-2003, 03:13 PM
I'm looking to setup a wireless network around my house, and I've looked for some routers and CF cards to find the best value in each of those categories. As for the router, I think I've found it:

http://www.pcconnection.com/scripts/productdetail.asp?product_id=319010

If you are a student, you can get that sucker for around 56 bucks. The $20 rebate is also valid! So you get that kickass router for 36 bucks!!! What do you guys think?

As for CF cards, the Ambicom and the D-link caught my attention. I've heard too many bad things about the LinkSYS card, so I don't think I'm going to bother. The Ambicom, however, does have that freezing issue with IE. So I may go with the D-Link. Whatdya thing?

That netgear router + D-Link seems like a winning combination. Have I overlooked any brands/models that would provide better performance/value?

-Tarak Upadhyaya

SHoTTa35
07-22-2003, 03:28 PM
well the linksys card doesn't officially work with WM 2003 yet but i've posted drivers here that works. I can't post them again tho cuz it's meant only for OEM customers not end users and blah blah.... I'd def rather linksys tho

christak
07-22-2003, 06:57 PM
http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=83050&perpage=10&pagenumber=4

solus
07-23-2003, 05:57 AM
Ok. Which ones do officially work with WM2003 out of the box? and which don't? I searched for forum for various posts that included any CF WiFi cards but couldn't compile a list.

I'm still leaning towards the D-Link DCF-660W...

Socket's are awesome, but they are expensive :(. I may end up with one of 'em, though. Low power consumption :rock on dude!:. Am I wrong in thinking that this card works out of the box (w/ WM2003)?

rasputinj
07-23-2003, 08:56 PM
the Dlink makes a great card, you an also find that same router for around $40 at amazon, buy.com, or other outlets, Office Max had a good deal this week on the MS Wireless router for under $40 another good unit.

tomtiguy
07-25-2003, 01:26 AM
the Dlink makes a great card

Does D-Link also make an SD card? Or can I get a wireless SD card and use it with the D-Link router that I already have for a laptop? I read awhile ago that someone came out with a wireless SD card. Has anyone heard if they're available yet?