View Full Version : The Simpsons and Moderator-Baiting

uvahoos
07-21-2003, 01:50 PM
...Tiffany, Heather, Cody, Dylan, Dermot, Jordan, Taylor, Brittany, Wesley, Rumor, Scout, Cassidy, Zoe, Clo, Max, Hunter, Kendall, Caitlin, Noah, Sascha, Morgan, Kyra, Ian, Lauren, Q-bert, Phail...

Good to know that our friends from up North are well versed in Simpsons-speak. Yet another topic that I am trying to get my wife to accept!

Jeff Rutledge
07-22-2003, 12:56 AM
...Tiffany, Heather, Cody, Dylan, Dermot, Jordan, Taylor, Brittany, Wesley, Rumor, Scout, Cassidy, Zoe, Clo, Max, Hunter, Kendall, Caitlin, Noah, Sascha, Morgan, Kyra, Ian, Lauren, Q-bert, Phail...

Good to know that our friends from up North are well versed in Simpsons-speak. Yet another topic that I am trying to get my wife to accept!

I hear that! I've been working on my wife for about 3 years. She's now at the point where she'll watch an episode with me and even chuckles every now and then.

It was hard fought (and I'm not done), but well worth it so far. I'll consider my efforts a success when she quotes some random Simpson line in the middle of dinner conversation. :mrgreen: :way to go:

Kati Compton
07-22-2003, 01:04 AM
Please don't make me split this thread AGAIN. :P :nonono:

Jeff Rutledge
07-22-2003, 02:16 AM

Sorry Kati. :bangin:

Or should I say: D'oh!

ctmagnus
07-22-2003, 06:35 AM

Not having a need for anything to do with children (at least of my own) (yet) I can't really contribute to this thread in the fashion it was intended, so I'll respond with:

D'oh! D'oh! D'oh! D'oh! D'oh! D'oh! D'oh! D'oh! D'oh! D'oh! D'oh! D'oh! D'oh! D'oh! D'oh! D'oh! D'oh! D'oh! D'oh! D'oh! D'oh! D'oh! D'oh! D'oh! D'oh! D'oh! D'oh! D'oh! D'oh! D'oh! D'oh! D'oh!

(the infamous 32 D'oh!s)

(I'm very, very sorry, Kati, but it was bound to happen. :mrgreen: )

Kati Compton
07-22-2003, 06:40 AM
I'm pretty easy-going, but it's only funny to a point. Ignoring multiple :nonono:s on purpose makes it not funny.

ctmagnus
07-22-2003, 06:45 AM
When the notification of your reply hit my inbox, :rotfl:

Hey, can we have our titles changed in any way? I could be "Moderator-Baiter Extraordinaire"!

Kati Compton
07-22-2003, 06:48 AM
Yes, I can change your title. :twisted:

ctmagnus
07-22-2003, 06:54 AM
Yes, I can change your title. :twisted:

:rotfl:

or Moderator-Baiter to the extreme would work also.

Kati Compton
07-22-2003, 06:56 AM

No, I think it's pretty good how it is.

maximus
07-22-2003, 10:24 AM
ctmagnus
Troll

HA HA HA. I am rolling on the floor ....

Pony99CA
07-22-2003, 11:03 AM
ctmagnus
Troll

I noticed he got changed to "Troll" in another thread, and wondered why. Now I know. It does fit the avatar, though, doesn't it? :lol:

Be careful what you wish for. I said I was bored being a Magi, and Steve C. "kindly" obliged me (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13979&start=20).

Steve

easylife
07-22-2003, 01:51 PM
kati42,
You and Steve C. have the ability to change the titles of users, which I thought was an administrative-only feature of phpBB. Are you guys really administrators of the board, or am I mistaken? :D

Crystal Eitle
07-22-2003, 02:43 PM
kati42,
You and Steve C. have the ability to change the titles of users, which I thought was an administrative-only feature of phpBB. Are you guys really administrators of the board, or am I mistaken? :D
All of us on the Pocket PC Thoughts team have that power. Fear us. Mwahahahahahaha. :twisted:

(I would never use that power, though, as it's not my job.)

Crystal Eitle
07-22-2003, 02:44 PM
ctmagnus
Troll

ctmagnus isn't a troll! Trolls are mean and nasty. He's just mischievous. Maybe more of an "imp"?

Kati Compton
07-22-2003, 03:31 PM
kati42,
Some of the moderating job involves things like activating users when the normal system doesn't work, etc. Splitting threads/deleting posts, etc. So, yes.

Jeff Rutledge
07-22-2003, 03:43 PM

Not having a need for anything to do with children (at least of my own) (yet) I can't really contribute to this thread in the fashion it was intended, so I'll respond with:

D'oh! D'oh! D'oh! D'oh! D'oh! D'oh! D'oh! D'oh! D'oh! D'oh! D'oh! D'oh! D'oh! D'oh! D'oh! D'oh! D'oh! D'oh! D'oh! D'oh! D'oh! D'oh! D'oh! D'oh! D'oh! D'oh! D'oh! D'oh! D'oh! D'oh! D'oh! D'oh!

(the infamous 32 D'oh!s)

(I'm very, very sorry, Kati, but it was bound to happen. :mrgreen: )

ctmagnus:

You crack me up. I thought I was just pushing the limit. You know, like little kid does....see how far you can stretch it before it breaks.

You instead run full speed through the limit, smashing it to pieces. Being a fan of mischief, I have to say well done!

And now that this is officially split, I feel OK pointing out that the Simpsons reference wasn't totally off topic:
Dr. Spock gets confused with Mr. Spock.
Mr. Spock is played by Leonard Nimoy.
Leonard Nimoy guest voiced the Simpsons episode with the Monorail.
In this episode, Homer said D'oh.

See: Totally on topic. :mrgreen:

(It's like Six Degrees of Homer Simpson).

easylife
07-22-2003, 03:44 PM
I would never use that power, though, as it's not my job.

I'm not really sure it's part of kati42's either... :|

Janak Parekh
07-22-2003, 03:48 PM
You're right. It isn't part of kati42's. It is part of Kati Compton's. :lol:

--janak

Kati Compton
07-22-2003, 03:52 PM

ctmagnus was being particularly disruptive, which is my job to stop.

There were several options, among them:

1. deleting the post
2. locking the thread
3. temporarily suspending the account.

The 3rd was (I felt) more severe than warranted. I don't like locking threads and ruining it for the other people. Deleting posts makes the poster feel "censored" more than if the post is moved and they're reprimanded.

The title change is temporary.

easylife
07-22-2003, 04:18 PM
You're right. It isn't part of kati42's. It is part of Kati Compton's. :lol:

She'll always be kati42 to me. :wink:

kati42, given the circumstances, you acted appropriately. I'm sorry that I wrongly questioned your descision. :D

droppedd
07-22-2003, 05:31 PM
wonder how long ctmagnus will keep his "Troll" title for :). Kati - what's his official sentence? Can he get time off for good behavior? :lol:

Kati Compton
07-22-2003, 05:33 PM
kati42, given the circumstances, you acted appropriately. I'm sorry that I wrongly questioned your descision. :D
Glad you think so. ;) My goal is to not cause hard feelings, yet still be at least a little effective.

Side note (since this is already in the Off-topic forum), when I was a kid and was fighting with my brother, my dad would threaten us with tying our tongues together to get us to stop...

Kati Compton
07-22-2003, 05:34 PM
wonder how long ctmagnus will keep his "Troll" title for :). Kati - what's his official sentence? Can he get time off for good behavior? :lol:

Ah, but if you know when it ends, it's less effective as punishment.

droppedd
07-22-2003, 05:39 PM
Ah, but if you know when it ends, it's less effective as punishment.

Or you could employ the wonderful educational discipline tactics my teachers used in elementary school - if one kid misbehaves, punish everyone else, for the purposes of self-policing. Maybe if you changed everyone elses avatars to the Palm logo someone would be peeved enough to track down the offender and beat him down :twisted:.

Jeff Rutledge
07-22-2003, 05:41 PM
Sorry if I helped put you in the doghouse ctmagnus...

http://www.angelfire.com/ca3/rosaloving/images/doghse1c.gif

ctmagnus
07-22-2003, 09:21 PM

No, I think it's pretty good how it is.

At least it's custom. Not many on this board have custom titles. ;)

ctmagnus
07-22-2003, 09:22 PM
And now that this is officially split, I feel OK pointing out that the Simpsons reference wasn't totally off topic:
Dr. Spock gets confused with Mr. Spock.
Mr. Spock is played by Leonard Nimoy.
Leonard Nimoy guest voiced the Simpsons episode with the Monorail.
In this episode, Homer said D'oh.

See: Totally on topic. :mrgreen:

(It's like Six Degrees of Homer Simpson).

I thougth he was on more than two episodes. He was also on the X-Files episode and I thought one other. :confused totally:

ctmagnus
07-22-2003, 09:30 PM
The title change is temporary.

No! I hoped it would be permanant! The only member on the whole board with a non-standard title. :drool:

ctmagnus
07-22-2003, 09:32 PM
Sorry if I helped put you in the doghouse ctmagnus...

http://www.angelfire.com/ca3/rosaloving/images/doghse1c.gif

No problemo. It was fun while it lasted. :mrgreen:

Moderator baiting should be made an Olympic sport.

Jeff Rutledge
07-22-2003, 09:34 PM
I thougth he was on more than two episodes. He was also on the X-Files episode and I thought one other. :confused totally:

I know he was on two at least. The Monorail one and then the one where he was the narrator who left early (was the that X-files one or a different one???).

I am not sure... :confused totally:

GoldKey
07-22-2003, 09:50 PM
Leonard Nimoy has appeared two episodes.
1. "Marge vs. the Monorail"
Quimby: And now, I'd like to turn things over to our Grand Marshall, Mr. Leonard Nimoy.
Nimoy: I'd say this vessel could do at least Warp Five. [Crowd laughs.]
Quimby: And let me say, "May the Force Be With You!''
Nimoy: Do you even know who I am?
Quimby: I think I do. Weren't you one of the Little Rascals?
2. "The Springfield Files"
Nimoy narrates, "Hello. I'm Leonard Nimoy. The following tale of alien encounters is true. And by true, I mean false. It's all lies. But they're entertaining lies. And in the end, isn't that the real truth? The answer is no."

Copies from http://animatedtv.about.com/library/weekly/aa101199.htm

Jeff Rutledge
07-22-2003, 10:30 PM
Leonard Nimoy has appeared two episodes.
1. "Marge vs. the Monorail"
Quimby: And now, I'd like to turn things over to our Grand Marshall, Mr. Leonard Nimoy.
Nimoy: I'd say this vessel could do at least Warp Five. [Crowd laughs.]
Quimby: And let me say, "May the Force Be With You!''
Nimoy: Do you even know who I am?
Quimby: I think I do. Weren't you one of the Little Rascals?
2. "The Springfield Files"
Nimoy narrates, "Hello. I'm Leonard Nimoy. The following tale of alien encounters is true. And by true, I mean false. It's all lies. But they're entertaining lies. And in the end, isn't that the real truth? The answer is no."

Copies from http://animatedtv.about.com/library/weekly/aa101199.htm

Thanks Goldkey! That's too funny. I had forgot the intro when he narrated. Priceless..
:rotfl:

maximus
07-23-2003, 04:11 AM
Glad you think so. ;) My goal is to not cause hard feelings, yet still be at least a little effective.

Side note (since this is already in the Off-topic forum), when I was a kid and was fighting with my brother, my dad would threaten us with tying our tongues together to get us to stop...

Duh. I am having my lunch right now. And that tongue tying thing really killed my appetite.

maximus
07-23-2003, 04:21 AM
ctmagnus isn't a troll! Trolls are mean and nasty. He's just mischievous. Maybe more of an "imp"?

or a wasp (the one from the classical ULTIMA game, the floating blue creature from another dimension, with great destructive power). ha ha ha.

Pony99CA
07-23-2003, 01:27 PM
The only member on the whole board with a non-standard title. :drool:
You are wrong, troll-breath! (If you don't remember Johnny Carson's "Carnac the Magnificent", this will sound like an insult.) Check out cdunphy (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=3720).

Steve

ctmagnus
07-23-2003, 03:21 PM
You are wrong, troll-breath! (If you don't remember Johnny Carson's "Carnac the Magnificent", this will sound like an insult.) Check out cdunphy (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=3720).

Steve

Johny Carson? who's he? :wink:

And I thought there was more than one PalmSource Employee on this board. :confused totally:

maximus
07-24-2003, 02:19 AM
And I thought there was more than one PalmSource Employee on this board.

.. and we should banish them all. ha ha ha. just kidding.
what are they doing here anyway ? doing a real-audience-study-case of what makes PPC superior ? :wink:

droppedd
07-24-2003, 04:23 AM
i know one of them has the official job position of checking the competition - it's his job to see the PPC community and test all the new PPC devices to report to his superiors "haha- they think they anyone could ever use more than 8 MB of RAM. Silly fools!" :lol:

See the guy who won the PPCThoughts light the week PPC2k3 came out, since he had a photo of himself with a bunch of the new PDAs and no one else submitted photos :).

Steven Cedrone
07-24-2003, 04:35 AM
I have no problem with a PalmSource Employee being a registered user here. He's never hidden the fact that he was. Anyway, you must be doing something right if the competition is willing to use up valuable time and resources to check up on enthusiast sites comments about both your and your competitions products...

Steve

dh
07-24-2003, 04:39 AM

Steve

Johny Carson? who's he? :wink:

And I thought there was more than one PalmSource Employee on this board. :confused totally:

I once had to visit a customer in Norfok, Nebraska. (WTF is that?)
They have a big sign at the start of town, after the 10,000 mile drive from Omaha, "Birthplace of Johnny Carson"

droppedd
07-24-2003, 05:06 AM
I have no problem with a PalmSource Employee being a registered user here. He's never hidden the fact that he was. Anyway, you must be doing something right if the competition is willing to use up valuable time and resources to check up on enthusiast sites comments about both your and your competitions products...

You know, I haven't been to any POS message boards since i stopped using my clie. Wonder if MS has employees checking up there :)?

Of course if MS paid attention to even the PPC message boards they'd have fixed a few things (alarms not going off? no scheduling activesyncs locally, only for wireless? etc.) :grumble: