View Full Version : HP 5550 and ActiveSync Begin sound?

vargon
07-22-2003, 02:23 AM
I've been using my 5550 a couple of weeks now and no matter what, if I drop it in the cradle or plug it in to a sync cable, it never plays the ActiveSync begin sound when it starts syncing. It DOES play the ActiveSync end sound when I disconnect it, and I can play the begin sound manually from the Sounds and Notifications control panel, but it never, ever plays when syncing actually begins (yes, the sounds are enabled). All other event beeps, etc. play just fine -- It's just the ActiveSync begin sound that's problematic.

Anyone else seeing this behavior? Is it just me?

I've done one hard reset since the initial factory state. Neither before nor after that hard reset has it ever played the ActiveSync begin sound.

Thanks for any help.

AG

vargon
07-23-2003, 10:41 PM
Doesn't anyone else out there have a 5555? All I'm looking for is a "yes it happens for me too" or "nope, never seen it" answer... :?
Anyone? Bueller?

SHoTTa35
07-23-2003, 10:56 PM
do you really need that? I'm glad they had it off by default on my PPC... didn't bug me before but i like it being off now. I put it in the cradle, i see AS open and the green circle start spinning... seriosly don't need a sound prompt too after all of that especially when i have my music up blasting away.

vargon
07-23-2003, 11:08 PM
I don't really NEED it -- I won't die from lack of a sync begin sound. But it really should work if the option is there. It works fine on my 3650. I'm mostly curious as to if it's just me or a software defect.
For me, the feature is helpful because at work I have two PCs on a KVM switch and the one I sync with isn't the one I normally look at. The sound lets me know ActiveSync actually worked and didn't crap out like it often does. Sure I can switch monitors or look at the PPC screen, but it's faster to just notice the absence of sound.... Call me weird. :)

jsanfordii
07-24-2003, 02:08 PM
I just popped out my 5555, and the sound played. When I popped it back in the cradle, the sound also played.

hmm....

james

Hyperluminal
07-24-2003, 02:17 PM
Under Sounds and Notifications in your 5550's control panel, is ActiveSync: Begin Sync assigned to a sound?

vargon
07-24-2003, 05:15 PM
That WOULD help... I suppose I negelected to mention that the PC I sync with has no sound ability. So I rely on the sound from the PocketPC to let me know it's synced up.

The "ActiveSync: Begin sync" sound on the PocketPC is enabled. It's set to "Infbeg" I can play it manually using the play button in the Sounds and Notifications control panel. The "ActiveSync: End sync" is set to "Infend" -- it plays just fine both manually and when syncing ends.

If I sync wirelessly, then the begin sound plays fine as well. It's only when physically connected to a cable or cradle.

But since I got a confirmation that it DOES work for someone else, then it must just be me... so I'll do some digging.

Thanks for the responses.
AG

MultiMatt
07-26-2003, 01:21 AM
Wait Vargon!
I have that exact thing happen to me as well!
BUT, given the laundry list of issues that Windows Mobile 2003 and my iPAQ 555 have brought me, that lack of sound on the initial Sync has been the least of my worries!

I have all of the settings right, but it never sounds when it connects... The PC does, but the 5555 doesn't. It's not a show-stopper, but it is evidence that things are really buggy with this new OS (at least in the 5555). I am convinced of that.
:roll:

Matt

Jerry Raia
07-26-2003, 03:48 AM
I sync with Bluetooth and I hear both sounds, the start and the end on my 5555.