View Full Version : eruoozsgblo???

delfuhd
07-22-2003, 12:00 AM
What the.. All of the sudden, this damned bar shows up under my address bar in IE! and when I right click on the menu bars, it says it's "eruoozsgblo" I click it and it goes away. Good. Then I go to another page, just like if I click on a SIMPLE LINK, it COMES BACK! ARRRG

I've googled it, and can't find anything. What the??? Can anyone help me? It's blue, and on the far left it has a little search bar, then just random little buttons that say stuff like 'news,' 'mp3', 'gambling' 'entertainment' etc...

I'm very annoyed and can't find anything in my Add/remove programs that might have caused it, and I'm afraid I'll uninstall something that I wouldn't want to. I think it about started when I installed an update for messenger, but that's probably nto the problem. :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: Help I'm so bedazzled... But for now I'll skidattle, see ya on my horse and saddle! (hehe you like that rhyming yeah I know it. :wink: ) Thank's for any help

GoldKey
07-22-2003, 12:09 AM
Sounds like it might be some sort of spyware.

Go to http://security.kolla.de/

And download Spybot

It is free and kicks butt on removing stuff like this.

Janak Parekh
07-22-2003, 12:15 AM
Another one is Lavasoft's Ad-Aware (www.lavasoftusa.com). Both it and Spybot-SD work quite well.

--janak

delfuhd
07-22-2003, 09:20 PM
Hmm. I downloaded both programs, and ran them both, and did allt hat, but the bar is still there.. This is quite annoying.. I have no idea how to get rid of it..

Kati Compton
07-22-2003, 09:22 PM
Ignoring the title, it almost sounds like Y! companion. You could try going into Add/Remove programs and see if there's something there that sounds likely to be the culprit.

I don't suppose you're browsing through a proxy server, are you? These buttons, are they added as a frame to the top of the page, or definitely part of the browser interface?

Jacob
07-22-2003, 09:25 PM
Go to IE internet Options.

Under the General Tab click on the Settings button.

In the "Settings" dialog click "View Objects".

This should show you all the ActiveX controls registered with the browser. You may want to check these out and make sure to remove any you don't recognize, or just the one you recognize as being this bar.

This is just a possibility since the Google toolbar is something just like this.

delfuhd
07-22-2003, 11:22 PM
I checked the ActiveX programs, nothing that i could find... here's a screenshot of it, it's connected under my address bar (From top to bottom i have it as menu bar, tool bar, then address bar)

http://kasper.sphosting.com/pics/menubarannoying.JPG

Thanks again for any help..

spursdude
07-22-2003, 11:25 PM
You need to host the image from a website of yours, not just link to a place on your hard drive. Too bad these forums still don't have the upload picture capability!!!

GoldKey
07-22-2003, 11:38 PM
Who's your ISP? Almost looks like something from them.

Kati Compton
07-23-2003, 12:36 AM
Did your ISP install a new front-end on IE? I know SBC does that (if you let them)....

GoldKey
07-23-2003, 12:49 AM
Try doing View | Source on the menu bar and see what you get. There might be a clue in the html

delfuhd
07-23-2003, 03:25 AM
Comcast is my ISP, but I'm pretty sure it's not them.. I think it's by this company http://www.lop.com

When I ran Ad-aware, and the other spyware program, some lop program showed up, and when I do a search on the toolbar, it takes me to the lop page. But I'm not sure about how to get rid of this damned thing. I guess I could send an email or something..

delfuhd
07-23-2003, 03:28 AM
I can't view the source of the bar, it's attactched to my menu bar... so when I right click it just gives me a menu of things to show or not show (i can click on the bar to get rid of it i.e., but it just comes back when I go to another url.) :frusty:

delfuhd
07-23-2003, 03:41 AM
Ok, well I went to lop.com, and just checked the FAQ, and thankfully they had a little uninstall .exe that i ran and it got rid of the bar. I don't really care about pop-ups, and I don't mind banners flashing everywhere, but when they stick damn little applets here and there arrrrg its freaking annoying :2gunfire: :snipersmile: :twak:

Kati Compton
07-23-2003, 05:10 AM
Ad-Aware should give you the option to remove spyware...

A lot of spyware like that is installed during the installation process of another program. Sometimes it says so in the EULA or whatever that you have to click "I Agree" to, but sometimes it's just installed without any notice at all.

droppedd
07-23-2003, 05:44 AM
Having dealt with too many of my friends computers at college let me give you all a piece of advice.

NEVER
ever
install
Kazaa.

It's the absolute worst spyware offender. I often find myself so frustrated with my friends' cluttered hard drives (AdAware only helps somewhat) that I often have an overwhelming desire to just reformat.

Use KazaaLite (kazaalite.tk) if you have some overwhelming need for Kazaa-branded filesharing software... it is spyware-free from the outset, and has the major offenders taken out of the install files.

And I won't even go in to BonziBuddy. :wink:

Janak Parekh
07-23-2003, 05:57 AM
When I ran Ad-aware, and the other spyware program, some lop program showed up, and when I do a search on the toolbar, it takes me to the lop page. But I'm not sure about how to get rid of this damned thing. I guess I could send an email or something..
If Ad-Aware (btw, update it first), finds something, just hit "Next", make sure it's checked off in the list of found components, and hit "Next" again -- it'll quarantine it from your computer.

--janak