View Full Version : PUREPOCKETS Reviews the iPAQ 5550

Jason Dunn
07-22-2003, 05:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.purepockets.com/' target='_blank'>http://www.purepockets.com/</a><br /><br /></div>A new site, launched by Wayne Mahon, has a review on the iPAQ 5550. There's lots of pictures, especially of the new Windows Mobile 2003 additions, so if you're curious about what's new, take a look. Here's a blurb from his review:<br /><br />"My friends and family said goodbye as I received my new “TOY”. They know that the chance of them pulling me away from it is slim to none. I must say that I had very high expectations of this newest of Pocket PC’s. The whites of my eyes grew as I first opened the box, my mouth watered as I reviewed the specs and my ears soothed from the sounds of coming from MEDIA PLAYER 9! For the following week I sat in a trance to see just what this machine had to offer."

Janak Parekh
07-22-2003, 05:08 AM
Ooooh! We Thoughtted(tm) a site. :lol:

--janak

achille
07-22-2003, 05:16 AM

Jason Dunn
07-22-2003, 05:17 AM
Therefore by linking the site you effectively killed it...

If you step up to the plate, you'd better be swinging a bat and not a toothpick. :mrgreen:

Janak Parekh
07-22-2003, 05:19 AM
TechTV has that same effect too... the only difference between Paul Alan and Jason Dunn ? Couple billion dollars!
Well, not if Jason successfully launches his empire. :lol:

Mind you, Slashdot is still the big daddy of the "Effect", but it's really nice to see that we have an active readership.

--janak

Deus
07-22-2003, 05:26 AM
Ok, ok enough shots! i just started working on the site.! hahaha I just wanted to get it up and get a review up, before I moved it to a host. Any suggestions of where to have it hosted?

Yes i currently am hosting on my local box. Whats wrong with that? Just to get all the coding correct! :wink:

Also the connection was never killed!

Deus
07-22-2003, 05:29 AM
Therefore by linking the site you effectively killed it...

If you step up to the plate, you'd better be swinging a bat and not a toothpick. :mrgreen:

HAHAHAHAHAHAH That hurts!!

Deus
07-22-2003, 05:35 AM
Actually they have consistently loaded quickly. Even after clearing cached pages. i am looking for a host right now. Does anyone know anything about http://www.dot5hosting.com ? I was looking at the Dit 4 package.

Jason Dunn
07-22-2003, 05:47 AM
Any suggestions of where to have it hosted?

For now, since you're just starting out, I recommend Page-Zone (http://www.page-zone.com/us/sales/n.ew/kensai). They have an awesome control panel, very reasonable rates, and you can put more than one domain on your account if you get a reseller account. That's an affiliate link as well. I have 10+ sites on my one account, and I'm really, really happy with their service. :mrgreen:

Deus
07-22-2003, 05:47 AM
What kind of stats should I be looking for for a hosting service. Disk space and transfer? Anyone?

kiwi
07-22-2003, 05:51 AM
What kind of stats should I be looking for for a hosting service. Disk space and transfer? Anyone?

check out www.webhostingtalk.com

You will find lots of help and tips there.

B

Dermot81
07-22-2003, 06:27 AM
Wow, read some of the customer reviews about the Dot5 webhosting, and I must say they have some of the most horrifying customer service stories I've ever read.

Deus
07-22-2003, 06:32 AM
No kidding! Someone actually referred me to them!!!!! I am reading all the garbage about them! How do they stay in business?

entropy1980
07-22-2003, 07:23 AM
OLM.net has treated me well.... until traffic started to go up.... then well....rates went through the roof 8O

mjhamson
07-22-2003, 07:42 AM
Your graphics are HUGE. you need to optimize them. A great golden rule for building and serving web pages is that the page and all its graphics should not be any heavier then 50kb. I looked at just your first image of the 5550 box and saw that it was about 132kb. This is really bad.

-Michael

Deus
07-22-2003, 08:29 AM
I have kept these things in mind. This site is still in process. I didn't expect so many people to stop by so quickly! :wink:
Thank you for the tip too!

Kathy_Harris
07-22-2003, 07:47 PM
a little expensive but I have 2 hosted at ipowerweb.com for over a year now ($90 per year). No problems except some runaway open source code that I put on one of the accounts :( They have good phone tech support that actually pointed me to the problem in about 2 minutes.