View Full Version : sd card size for applications

Chris Pi
07-21-2003, 05:10 PM
For my new Ipaq I'd like to have one sd card for applications and games, and one for mp3's. For the mp3's I'm going to wait awhile for the 512mb sd card prices to come down a bit. However, I'm not sure what size I need for applications and games (I don't really have an idea of the file sizes as this is my first pocket pc). I'll probably have 4 or 5 games like pocket Quake and a few applications. So, I'm choosing between 128mb Lexar SD (which I can get immediately locally) or 256mb Lexar SD (which I'll have to order). Any advice?

Crystal Eitle
07-21-2003, 05:17 PM
Go for the 256 MB SD card. Megabyte-for-megabyte, it's a better price value (do the math and you'll see what I mean). You just get more for your money.

As for getting it immediately, I recommend Chumbo.com. I've bought two memory cards from them and have been very pleased with their service. They offer FREE 2-day FedEx shipping on every order.

2-day FedEx is not immediate, but it is very fast. You could order it now and have it on Wednesday. (Or for $10, you can get overnight shipping).

SHoTTa35
07-21-2003, 05:42 PM
i dunno about running games like that off a SD card. Number 1 reason is that the interface is slower so it would take a while to load.

droppedd
07-21-2003, 06:17 PM
i dunno about running games like that off a SD card. Number 1 reason is that the interface is slower so it would take a while to load.

I'm running PocketQuake off an SD card and it works fine, loads up real fast too. (but be sure to uncompress the .pak file before you put it on the SD card - leaving it compressed while on the card will make loads a LOT slower). I also run Pocket EverQuest and PocketSNES off the card just fine. There's a little load time between maps on EQ (5 seconds or so), and games take about a second to save state in PSNES, but that's not too bad. Especially considering it's a SanDisk SD card, which are notoriously slow :).

Only thing is, i'd recommend getting a separate SD card reader for your computer - i find for transferring big files (mp3s, movies, etc) it's a lot faster through a dedicated memory card reader than through ActiveSync. Not sure why, but whatever.

There's a good, cheap usb 1.1 internal/external memory card reader from newegg that's working pretty well for me (link (http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufactory&catalog=69&manufactory=1442&DEPA=1)).