View Full Version : Forum Posting Guidelines

Ed Hansberry
07-25-2003, 11:00 PM
<a href="http://www.unix-girl.com/blog/archives/000911.html">http://www.unix-girl.com/blog/archives/000911.html</a><br /><br />"We all read and use forums in one way or another.. sometimes to only research an answer, sometimes to ask a question, communicate with friends or cultivate inner psychosis by moderating the content. Personally, I think all moderators are either masochists or in early stages of mental illness. Not that there aren't exceptions.. of course there are. Some moderators are in late stages of mental illness."<br /><br />She then proceeds to give some great examples of how to attract attention to your post without actually giving the person reading the forum listing a clue of what you are talking about:<br /><br />• <b>HELP ME!!!!</b><br />• <b>Need Help NOW!@!@!@@@!!!!</b><br />• <b>I HAVE A QUESTION!</b><br /><br />:rotfl:

JvanEkris
07-25-2003, 11:20 PM
That girl hits the nail right on the head. wo things are missing though: the reponse of the community when you improve the post or try to make sense of it........... Forget about making the post readable by adding dots, comma's and returns.

Jaap

Fitch
07-26-2003, 12:35 AM
I'm a HUGE fan of the !!@!@!@!@!@!@!@

I'm gonna use it more often!!@!@!@!@!@

:rotfl:

Gerard
07-26-2003, 05:13 AM
Another favourite:
You're Never Going To Believe What...

And who could fail to respond in a courteous and warm fashion to this, when posted to a PPC discussion site:
I think Pocket PC is a JOKE!!!

Steven Cedrone
07-26-2003, 05:58 AM
Show of hands: how many people made a "help" post when they started to use forums and didn't know any better?

I know I did (and I was "corrected" for doing so)...

It happens, which is why I don't jump on newbies that do the same thing...

Live and learn...

Steve

Gerard
07-26-2003, 06:18 AM
It's not the noobs I get p.o.'d about doing this, but the guys with 1475 posts to their credit in only 2 months, who just keep on cranking out the useless and ill-named threads to boost their post count like it was a contest. I find that generally the new folks seem to at least try a little to post with meaningful titles, though of course some fail.

I lurked, for months, before I dared post a new thread. When I did, I think one of my first was about how to hack the registry to make files launch in a certain program when tapped. PHM didn't yet have his tweaks collection posted, so I was editing in the dark and making little progress. Well, either that, ot asking how to get some program or other to run on a MIPS machine when only an ARM version seemed to be available... okay, so maybe I was a dumb noob too. ;)

ctmagnus
07-26-2003, 06:43 AM
okay, so maybe I was a dumb noob too. ;)

We all were! (except the one's who are still dumb noobs, regardless of their post count. ) ;)

Pony99CA
07-26-2003, 09:21 AM
I think this is a good time to remind you of Pony's Posting Proverbs (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11413). Please refer all newbies there. :-)

Steve

Pony99CA
07-26-2003, 09:23 AM
It's not the noobs I get p.o.'d about doing this, but the guys with 1475 posts to their credit in only 2 months, who just keep on cranking out the useless and ill-named threads to boost their post count like it was a contest.
Hey, I've got 2629 posts now. Get your facts straight. :rofl: :rotfl: :rofl:

Steve

Don't Panic!
07-27-2003, 06:25 PM
All my nightmares in one place. I loved it! :) Especially the page long sigs. 8O

Don't Panic!
Bobby

tomtiguy
07-27-2003, 08:29 PM
Give as little information as possible
I'd say more than about 10 lines is too tedious to read for most people. But, of course, I am a noob. But, be happy with me...I've been reading the "Pope's", Dave Beauvais' and many others' pet peeves and unwritten rules on how not to be an...

maximus
07-28-2003, 01:53 AM
Another favourite:
You're Never Going To Believe What...

And who could fail to respond in a courteous and warm fashion to this, when posted to a PPC discussion site:
I think Pocket PC is a JOKE!!!

My personal favourite is this one :

hmm i haven't seen many YOUNG users out there in the real world. but, i have noticed...and i hope this doesnt offend anyone...but most of the people i do see carrying an axim seem to look dirty. maybe dirty is not the right word...but maybe, they look NON-professional? go figure, jus my two cents

From here (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=140774&highlight=#140774)

So funny. I was laughing crazily when reading that.

Pocket PC Dubai
07-28-2003, 04:17 AM
It's not the noobs I get p.o.'d about doing this, but the guys with 1475 posts to their credit in only 2 months, who just keep on cranking out the useless and ill-named threads to boost their post count like it was a contest. I find that generally the new folks seem to at least try a little to post with meaningful titles, though of course some fail.

I lurked, for months, before I dared post a new thread. When I did, I think one of my first was about how to hack the registry to make files launch in a certain program when tapped. PHM didn't yet have his tweaks collection posted, so I was editing in the dark and making little progress. Well, either that, ot asking how to get some program or other to run on a MIPS machine when only an ARM version seemed to be available... okay, so maybe I was a dumb noob too. ;)

Personally I spend most of my time here just reading. Why some users would like to boost their post count? is there any reward or credit for that?
:?

Janak Parekh
07-28-2003, 04:35 AM
Personally I spend most of my time here just reading. Why some users would like to boost their post count? is there any reward or credit for that? :?
Some people view it as a status symbol. There isn't any reward, except that your rank slowly climbs up. We (the admins) do notice those who make lots of useful and helpful posts, though. :)

--janak

Abba Zabba
07-28-2003, 08:15 AM
I think for the most part that it is noobs that post HELP...and so forth, but hey like stated above a nice and quick response is the way I've seen it handled at this site unlike others. Like howardforums.com most noobs totally get trashed for simple noob questions that instead of just someone posting a reply, the noob gets chewed out for either not doing a search or not searching hard enough :roll: . This site is awesome and I'm glad it's one of the more friendly type cause deep down we're all noobs one way or another.

Pony99CA
07-28-2003, 08:50 AM
Some people view it as a status symbol. There isn't any reward, except that your rank slowly climbs up. We (the admins) do notice those who make lots of useful and helpful posts, though. :)
But does that "notice" come with any rewards? :-D Jason said he sends the Pocket PC Thoughts staff gifts, and people who post to the Microsoft news groups at least have a shot at being an MVP, with all the fun trips and goodies that entails (the downside being the NDA).

No, I'm not looking for anything (which would assume I'm useful and helpful :lol:); I'm just curious.

Steve

Don't Panic!
07-28-2003, 01:52 PM
Steve remember we are masochists. We're just in it for the pain. :twak:

Some goodies would be nice though. :wink:

Don't Panic!
Bobby

Janak Parekh
07-28-2003, 04:38 PM
But does that "notice" come with any rewards? :-D
Well, sometimes people are offered jobs. I think that's what happened to me, during our "three-way-race" between you, myself, and ThomasC22.

But it would be interesting to see if we could reward our top 10 or top 20. It's not clear how that would work, though. I'll put it on the back burner and see if any ideas simmer out.

--janak

Pony99CA
07-28-2003, 05:00 PM
Well, sometimes people are offered jobs. I think that's what happened to me, during our "three-way-race" between you, myself, and ThomasC22.

Maybe I haven't been here long enough, but you're the only one I've seen get offered an admin job who had a lot of posts (and maybe Kati for her moderator job), so I think it's more than that. :-) Of course, I've only seen three new people come on board.

But it would be interesting to see if we could reward our top 10 or top 20. It's not clear how that would work, though. I'll put it on the back burner and see if any ideas simmer out.

Then you really would get people trying to boost their post count. 0X

Steve

Janak Parekh
07-28-2003, 05:05 PM
Maybe I haven't been here long enough, but you're the only one I've seen get offered an admin job who had a lot of posts (and maybe Kati for her moderator job), so I think it's more than that. :-)
That's why I said "sometimes". ;)

I know. And that's why the mechanisms for doing something like this aren't clear, as I first said. :-D

--janak

GoldKey
07-28-2003, 06:01 PM
You would definitely need to use something more subjective than just post count because just as you said, people would try to artificially inflate their post count otherwise. How does Microsoft pick their MVP's? I assume (and hope) it is more than just frequency of posts. Maybe you could model that program. Of course anytime you do something subjective, someone is going to cry foul.

Janak Parekh
07-28-2003, 06:02 PM
Of course anytime you do something subjective, someone is going to cry foul.
That's why I said I'd think about it. Nothing is happening just yet, and nothing may happen after all.

(I believe MVPs are subjectively chosen.)

--janak

maximus
07-29-2003, 02:01 AM

Hei, what happened to C22 anyway ? He just dissapear one day ? I remembered reading his posts back sometimes in jan or feb 2003, then he just disappear.

--janak

If you do that .. I bet there will be a sudden jump in junk-posts ...
i think it is safer to give gift just to the top four. he heh. then, it is either kati or pony. and interesting choice. :D

Janak Parekh
07-29-2003, 02:15 AM
Hei, what happened to C22 anyway ? He just dissapear one day ? I remembered reading his posts back sometimes in jan or feb 2003, then he just disappear.
He mentioned something about his girlfriend keeping him busy, I think. ;)

If you do that .. I bet there will be a sudden jump in junk-posts ...
i think it is safer to give gift just to the top four. he heh. then, it is either kati or pony. and interesting choice. :D
Kati doesn't count; she's staff now.

--janak

Pony99CA
07-29-2003, 04:42 PM
I know. And that's why the mechanisms for doing something like this aren't clear, as I first said. :-D
I know there's a phpBB mod to count "points". Apparently, you get a point for every post, two points for every thread you start, and users can donate points to other users (like if a user really helped them).

Gadget Addict (http://www.gadgetaddict.com) had that system running, but doesn't seem to any more. (That's probably a good thing, as I had accidentally discovered how to increase points at will -- and reported the bug, of course. :-D)

Steve

Pony99CA
07-29-2003, 04:44 PM
Kati doesn't count; she's staff now.

Works for me. :-D

How about an iPAQ 5550? :rotfl: (A lifetime subscription would work, too.)

Steve

maximus
07-30-2003, 02:04 AM
Announcement : 10 free 5550s (plus CF jacket) for top ten posters !

.... must ... find ... a .... way .. to .... increase ... post ... count ... to ... 3000 ... in ... 2 .... months ..... {insert borg collective music here} :Fade-color ...

Jonathon Watkins
07-30-2003, 05:19 PM
I can't wait to see the state of your server if news of this possibility leak out widely. :lol: How are you going to explain it to Jason?

:oops: "Umm, Jason, we broke the server with 2 million posts an hour." :lol:

I only try to post when I have something to add, or have a wisecrack to make. :wink:

Pony99CA
07-30-2003, 09:07 PM
I only try to post when I have something to add, or have a wisecrack to make. :wink:
I would hope most people would follow this philosophy. That's what I do, and I can't imagine doing it any other way.

Steve

Janak Parekh
07-31-2003, 03:40 AM
I can't wait to see the state of your server if news of this possibility leak out widely. :lol:
Relax. It's not happening in the foreseeable future. Since you guys have so thoroughly debunked any possibility so far, it'll probably never happen. ;)

--janak

Jonathon Watkins
07-31-2003, 03:57 AM
I would hope most people would follow this philosophy. That's what I do, and I can't imagine doing it any other way.

Steve

Me too! :wink: :lol:

Dave Beauvais
07-31-2003, 04:02 AM

Steve

Me too! :wink: :lol:
I agree! Useless posts are very annoying!
Okay, I'll stop now.
--Dave

Ed Hansberry
07-31-2003, 04:11 AM
I agree! Useless posts are very annoyingTotally!

Janak Parekh
07-31-2003, 04:15 AM
Hmm. Maybe we should have a "useless post penalty" cost. Kati and Steve would start collecting PayPal fees for every useless post. How about 10 cents? Hey, Jason, I have a new startup idea... :lol:

--janak

Ed Hansberry
07-31-2003, 04:18 AM
Hmm. Maybe we should have a "useless post penalty" cost. Kati and Steve would start collecting PayPal fees for every useless post. How about 10 cents? Hey, Jason, I have a new startup idea... :lol:

--janak
You owe them 10 cents because of that post. :lol:

Janak Parekh
07-31-2003, 04:20 AM
You owe them 10 cents because of that post. :lol:
Nope. I came up with the idea. On the other hand, you owe me 10 cents. Unless you agree to be the accountant of this scheme... :rotfl:

--janak

ctmagnus
07-31-2003, 06:10 AM

--janak

Whuh-oh!

[/me withdraws every cent from my bank account and runs for the hills.]

maximus
07-31-2003, 07:25 AM
There should also be a penalty for badwords ...

1 badword = $10 deduction.

Dave Beauvais
07-31-2003, 09:20 AM
There should also be a penalty for badwords ...

1 badword = $10 deduction.
That is a damn stupid idea, man. :lol:
(Sorry, it had to be done.)
--Dave

maximus
07-31-2003, 11:12 AM
HA HA HA. Lighten up a bit, that was only a joke :p

sasquatchw/ppc
07-31-2003, 11:16 AM
this is getting very lame :grumble:

Pony99CA
07-31-2003, 11:53 AM
this is getting very lame :grumble:
Charge him $0.10.

Actually, the charge system might work for subscribers. Of course, that would mean only subscribers would be eligible for the Most Valuable Poster (MVP) award.

Steve

Steven Cedrone
07-31-2003, 01:43 PM
You're all getting charged for these posts!!! :wink:

Steve

maximus
08-01-2003, 02:42 AM
You're all getting charged for these posts!!! :wink:

Steve

Charge Janak. He started all these penalty posts. Under MLM scheme, he should be charged the most. :D

maximus
08-02-2003, 01:39 AM
I got this error message during my postings:
"You cannot make another post so soon after your last; please try again in a short while."

New feature ?

GoldKey
08-02-2003, 02:04 AM
Will test

GoldKey
08-02-2003, 02:04 AM
Will test

Testing

GoldKey
08-02-2003, 02:05 AM
As you can see, I did not have that problem. I did the first two messages as quick as I could click through.

ctmagnus
08-02-2003, 07:11 AM
As you can see, I did not have that problem. I did the first two messages as quick as I could click through.

Actually, that happens if you (inadvertently) double-click on the submit button. Or that's my experience.

Janak Parekh
08-02-2003, 07:22 AM
Correct. I believe Jason set the timeout to something like 2 seconds. It was initially a minute or so, but he himself got fed up with that. ;)

--janak

maximus
08-02-2003, 09:09 AM
Correct. I believe Jason set the timeout to something like 2 seconds. It was initially a minute or so, but he himself got fed up with that. ;)

--janak

Ah, I always opened several posts at the same time .. that must be caused by my hitting 'submit' button at the same time at several pages ..

Dave Beauvais
08-03-2003, 11:55 PM
Here's an example (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=146071#146071) of the incorrect use of the Subject line of a post. While it's very annoying to read that in a desktop browser, it's completely useless in the mobile forums since the individual post subjects are not displayed at all:

http://www.beauvais1.com/images/ppc/bad_subject.png

I can't say it enough: use the subject line for its intended purpose: to show the subject of your post! The actual content of your post belongs in the body. Thanks to Steve C. for noting that in the referenced thread.

--Dave

ctmagnus
08-04-2003, 05:40 AM
I read one thread where some n00b did that with ~ three posts in a row. That isn't so much of an issue with VB Forums because they display the post title directly above the body, in fact where the body starts in phpBB forums, but in phpBB forums, the subject line is kinda tucked away way in the corner.

Pony99CA
08-04-2003, 03:32 PM
I can't say it enough: use the subject line for its intended purpose: to show the subject of your post! The actual content of your post belongs in the body. Thanks to Steve C. for noting that in the referenced thread.
What referenced thread is that? I didn't see Steve C. give any links in this thread, and you didn't reference a thread.

Steve

Kati Compton
08-04-2003, 05:02 PM
Yes he did - at the very beginning of his post the first few words are a link.

sasquatchw/ppc
08-05-2003, 05:49 AM
strange