View Full Version : Will there be a 1940 review?

Ichabod
07-20-2003, 08:12 PM
Mr, Dunn. Will you be reviewing the 1940 for us? I hope you do because gathering reliable information on this device is kind-of difficult and I for one hate scouring the tactless posts in forums. Plus, you seem to understand the importance of realistic usage benchmarks and this would really help me decide if it's time to throw my brick out the window. (Casio device) One request, if I might add, would be to have you test SNES performance with the frameskip at 1 and sound on. I am still confused as to if these new devices can emulate this at a respectable speed yet.

I hate to ask you to do more work. I understand how busy you are, but your opinion is important to me as I feel I can rely on it as true.

Jason Dunn
07-20-2003, 10:04 PM
Yes, it's my goal to review both the 5550 and 1940. I can't promise when it will happen, but the 1940 review will come first. Give me about two weeks, then ask again. :wink:

Pony99CA
07-21-2003, 04:04 AM
Mr, Dunn. Will you be reviewing the 1940 for us? I hope you do because gathering reliable information on this device is kind-of difficult and I for one hate scouring the tactless posts in forums.
"Tactless"? Oh, you mean like calling people "tactless". :roll:

Steve

07-21-2003, 04:16 AM
btw i love the 2215 review

Jason Dunn
07-21-2003, 05:14 AM
One request, if I might add, would be to have you test SNES performance with the frameskip at 1 and sound on. I am still confused as to if these new devices can emulate this at a respectable speed yet.

Can you give me an URL to download the emulator? I'll give it a try.

droppedd
07-21-2003, 05:34 AM
Mr, Dunn. Will you be reviewing the 1940 for us? I hope you do because gathering reliable information on this device is kind-of difficult and I for one hate scouring the tactless posts in forums.
"Tactless"? Oh, you mean like calling people "tactless". :roll:
Steve

yes but calling someone out in public for being hypocritically tactless while bemoaning tactlessness is probably itself tactless, Steve. But now that's getting even more confusing. :)

To avoid an infinite loop we should probably stop the tactless-calling after this post - i know this post is tactless for the same reasons as above, but tactfully leave it at that please. :lol:

droppedd
07-21-2003, 05:45 AM
One request, if I might add, would be to have you test SNES performance with the frameskip at 1 and sound on. I am still confused as to if these new devices can emulate this at a respectable speed yet.

Can you give me an URL to download the emulator? I'll give it a try.

http://paqpark.nuclearfallout.net/projects/pocketsnes.php

a 2210 will give about 30 FPS in most games, for comparison purposes; i have no idea for other devices. However, at least on my 2210, the sound emulation is kind of ugly - out of sync, even with the sync option checked. It's quite playable, though; 30 FPS is smooth as a baby's bottom. we're just not quite at the level of full stereo music SNES emulation yet. Personally i keep the sound emulation off. Maybe if they ever build an optimized SNES emulator for PPC2003 we'd get better sound performance; however, this is doubtful in the near future. PocketSNES is pretty much dead where it stands, and the alternatives, like MorphGear, aren't terribly good at this point. ah well.

the 1945 supposedly also runs at full-speed; see this thread (http://paqpark.nuclearfallout.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=227) over at PSNES's forum for details.

Also, do you take benchmarks with PocketQuake? I know the forums at pocketmatrix.com actually have a thread going where people post benchmarks for their devices; but it's only semi-reliable since not everyone is working off identical test conditions. It's a pretty good stress test on PPCs these days; and they've put up some impressive numbers for the Asus A620.... if only that was available in the US :(.