View Full Version : 5555 suddenly won't connect via WLAN

MultiMatt
07-19-2003, 01:01 AM
I was recently on the road, and turned on my WLAN on my 5555 to show some friends how it would search for connections. Every once in a while, I found one (like at the airport or my hotel) but I did not actually use the connection, change any settings or anything. I was simply showing how fast the device could locate a hotspot...
Now, I return home and turn on my WLAN and I cannot connect to my LAN at all. Ever since getting the thing last week, it connected without my having to do a thing, and now it simply flashes amber until it give me an error:
Unable to obtain a server-assigned IP address. Try again later or enter an IP address in Network settings.

Again, nothing has been changed on the iPAQ or on my LAN settings for my home network.

Ideas?

Matt

ctmagnus
07-19-2003, 02:12 AM
Try reentering the info on either end.

You say you were recently on the road. It's possible your AP may have been "0wn3d" by a "1337 h4x0r" while you were away.

BGinWA
07-19-2003, 03:10 AM
Do a soft reboot. I have similar problems when switching networks.

cgavula
07-19-2003, 06:10 AM
I've run into this a couple of times going between my home network and my office network. Soft resetting DIDN'T clear the problem. Running the iPaq Wireless application and turning off the WLAN then turning it back on DID solve the problem for me.

--Chris

Jerry Raia
07-19-2003, 06:15 AM
Taking the battery out and putting back in has solved a few problems for me. Just be sure you have a backup.

MultiMatt
07-19-2003, 12:24 PM
Try reentering the info on either end.

You say you were recently on the road. It's possible your AP may have been "0wn3d" by a "1337 h4x0r" while you were away. I changed the SSID on my Wireless Router, rebooted it, and fired up the 5555's WLAN connection. It connected right away.
Thanks! :mrgreen:

Matt

madbart
07-20-2003, 03:09 AM
i have had this problem as well. What i usually have to do is rather than have the chanel select on "Auto" i select the channel number.

lchungwe
08-17-2003, 04:56 PM
Taking the battery out and putting back in has solved a few problems for me. Just be sure you have a backup.

thanks It work for my H5550 and I thought it is my device Wifi having problem .

do 3 reset.

mattbugz
01-10-2005, 04:38 PM
I am rekindling this topic because I seem to have the problem of not being able to connect wirelessly with my iPAQ 5555. A couple months ago, my iPAQ spontaneously reset itself to factory. Ever since then, I have been unsuccessful in getting WiFi connectivity.

Here's the strange part. My iPAQ associates correctly with the access point. However, I'm unable to obtain an IP address via DHCP. Even if I statically assign the address , I still cannot connect.

Am I missing something??

(ROM is updated to latest 1.10.10)

ctmagnus
01-10-2005, 06:33 PM
I've seen this before and managed to correct it. However, that was a long time ago and I can't remember how I fixed it.

The two things I can think of atm are mac address filtering is enabled on the AP and your mac isn't being accepted, or wep is enabled on the ap. I know it isn't to do with SSID broadcast being disabled.

mattbugz
01-10-2005, 06:48 PM
I've seen this before and managed to correct it. However, that was a long time ago and I can't remember how I fixed it.

Thanks. After a lot of stumbling, I figured out the issue. My firmware needed to be upgraded. After a factory default, the ROM remains, but the firmware is deleted.

I had to install the SoftPaqs in the following order in order to regain WiFi connectivity:

SP28220
SP27632
SP27658

Here was the message from SP27632:
HP iPAQ H5500 Series customers: This driver update (version 3.2.4.133) will function with Firmware versions 0.100.5.39 and 0.100.5.41 ONLY. If you have recently installed Firmware version 1.103.5.164, you can recover WLAN functionality by installing this driver and then downgrading your Firmware version to 0.100.5.41 (SoftPaq # SP27658).

ctmagnus
01-10-2005, 07:08 PM
Ah, that issue... :roll:

imo, HP royally borked this one. You need a certain software level in order to upgrade to a certain firmware level. Come hard-reset time (which is inevitable for most of us) problems will arise.

I havent installed any HP upgrades since rom 1.10.10 for this reason.