View Full Version : Favorite PPC Map Software?

wardseward
07-18-2003, 07:57 PM
What is your favorite map software for ppc? ...and why?

I'm looking to add maps to my PPC and I don't have any idea which app is better and why. So, i'm looking for your opinion. :D

Thanks.

easylife
07-18-2003, 08:06 PM
Mapopolis! :mrgreen:

www.mapopolis.com

High quality program for free - you only pay for the maps! :D The maps start nder $3 per county... :wink:

SHoTTa35
07-18-2003, 08:16 PM
screw that... Pocket Streets!! Just export your streets and trips maps.. no need to buy a new country's map. It's already included! :D Plus you can get a GPS attachment and use it with pocket streets too. :D

bljarv
07-18-2003, 08:21 PM
screw that... Pocket Streets!! Just export your streets and trips maps.. no need to buy a new country's map. It's already included! :D Plus you can get a GPS attachment and use it with pocket streets too. :D
But you can't plan a trip or do turn-by-turn with Pocket Streets. I have loved Pocket Streets for a map application forever, but now that my GPS unit is on the way, I'm thinking it will be replaced with Mapopolis or something else.

I've downloaded Mapopolis and played with a demo map of my county and have been enjoying its rich feature set. Then again, Pocket Streets is free!

What to do????? :?

So wardseward, I haven't answered your question, but that's my two cents anyway...

Dave Beauvais
07-18-2003, 10:47 PM
Mapopolis has saved my butt on several occasions by allowing me to generate turn-by-turn directions to my destination while on the go. I do a lot of on-site PC support part-time for a friend's PC service company, and am often sent out to places I have either never heard of or am at least unfamiliar with. With Mapopolis, as long as I know where I am now and the address of where I'm going, I can generate directions to get there right on my Pocket PC. No laptop or desktop required. You can't do that on the Pocket PC with Street and Trips. I don't have a GPS unit with PC/PPC interface capabilities, but those who do love Mapopolis.

--Dave

SHoTTa35
07-18-2003, 11:16 PM
But you can't plan a trip or do turn-by-turn with Pocket Streets. I have loved Pocket Streets for a map application forever, but now that my GPS unit is on the way, I'm thinking it will be replaced with Mapopolis or something else.

I've downloaded Mapopolis and played with a demo map of my county and have been enjoying its rich feature set. Then again, Pocket Streets is free!

What to do????? :?

So wardseward, I haven't answered your question, but that's my two cents anyway...

Well i guess yeah if you're out and someone calls yah to say come over, knowing how to get there from where you are is where turn by turn directions would come in (say you don't have access to the net for your PDA) but i usually just use Mappoint and export turn by turn directions to my PPC. Granted i view the info in pIE but i guess it works for me.... others may need better. Hmm... maybe i'll suggest that to microsoft tho ;)

edit
Oh and on a side note.... Pocket Streets do work with GPS recievers. I haven't seen it in that mode but i'd guess it just doesn't show you where you wanna go and that's that. I'd imagine it gives you turn by turn directions too... what good is GPS if it doesn't show/tell you where to go to get where you wanna go.

csterns
07-19-2003, 04:51 AM
Mapopolis, Mapopolis, Mapopolis. I don't travel so I don't need any other maps except Orange County, CA. Door to door directions can't be beat. On any given day I could plug 10 to 15 address and away I go and nobody knows that I don't know where I am going. In fact I use my old IPAQ 3650 for a backup just in case. I am that dependent upon Mapopolis and couldn't imagine doing my jot without it. It's a God send.

theon
07-19-2003, 07:57 PM
I would love to use ANY of the map programs you guys have mentioned... But... Where are the maps of Singapore? Didn't MS watch the Amazing Race? It's just too easy to get lost here!!! :wink:

msprague
07-19-2003, 09:44 PM
Oh and on a side note.... Pocket Streets do work with GPS recievers. I haven't seen it in that mode but i'd guess it just doesn't show you where you wanna go and that's that. I'd imagine it gives you turn by turn directions too... what good is GPS if it doesn't show/tell you where to go to get where you wanna go.

Pocket Streets does work with GPS receivers, but it does not give you turn-by-turn directions. It simple centers your position on the map every 15 seconds.

Mapopolis is great, but I picked iGuidance (Routis is the same and has better support at the moment). IMHO iGuidance is nicer for highway travel. Mapopolis probably has the advantage in town though.

07-19-2003, 11:56 PM
now whats the use of the gps attachment? does it just show where you are?

and can i program stuff with gps like where peoples houses are: like just by typing in a address and it put like a logo or a marker on the map?

msprague
07-20-2003, 12:38 AM
Most allow you to save addresses as "favorites" but not necessarily display an icon on the map. Mapopolis lets you pick a spot on the map to show as an icon, but not via address entry. With most of the software that does routing you can enter in someone's address and you will get detailed direction with voice prompts to get you there.

This is a good place to get started with info:
GpsPasSion Overview of Road Navigation Programs (http://www.gpspassion.com/en/software/NavOverview.htm)

mattbugz
07-29-2003, 01:14 AM
Just wondering, but does Mapopolis come with voice directions :?:

There are so many choices with GPS sotware. I've been reading good reviews about TomTom/Routis/Mapopolis so what are the pros and cons to help me decide?

I'm basically looking for a mapping program that works well as a turn by turn navigator (with voice) that has detailed streets. Are there distinct advantages/disadvantages to each, or are they, for the most part, similar in their functionality?

Thanks!

msprague
07-29-2003, 02:55 PM
Mapopolis does give voice directions. You have to but there "Navigator" map pack for that feature.

The software you mentioned are all good choices. Mapopolis has the most outdated GUI. There is a detailed review of TomTom recently published at www.gpspassion.com that you should read. There is no "best" choice right now. It is very much an individual use/needs situation. I suggest you visit the forums at gpspassion and read about the different user experiences. I am using iGuidance (same as Routis) and have been very happy with my choice, although it does not do everything perfectly. Nothing out there right now does everything perfectly. :wink:

mattbugz
07-30-2003, 04:24 AM
I have subscribed to their forums. Thank you. Question, why did you choose iGuidance as opposed to Routis?? Besides the better support, does Routis offer any functional differences:?:

msprague
07-30-2003, 10:33 AM
At the time of my purchase Routis did not include the desktop/laptop version and iGuidance did. Routis does include it now. If I were buying today I would buy Routis. But, in the past couple of weeks the iGuidance people are also starting to be more visible with support, so the support concerns are dissipating.

reefman
07-30-2003, 11:20 AM
[quote="bljarv"][quote="SHoTTa35"] Then again, Pocket Streets is free!

quote]

Where can I download the free version all I've seen are priced!!!!!!

mattbugz
07-30-2003, 03:25 PM
msprague:

Thank you very much. You have influenced my decision. I am going to purchase Routis as my GPS software and I am going to purchase a couple local maps from Mapopolis. :D It's unfortunate Routis et al don't have demos. I think they would all benefit from software previews (like Mapopolis).

RickP in AZ
07-30-2003, 06:59 PM
I would love to use ANY of the map programs you guys have mentioned... But... Where are the maps of Singapore? Didn't MS watch the Amazing Race? It's just too easy to get lost here!!! :wink:

I *love* that show! And I totally know what you mean by how easy it would be to get lost there... But do you really want MS leading you around the convoluted twists and turns there? :(

So, to answer your question? I don't know...

theon
07-31-2003, 11:48 PM
But do you really want MS leading you around the convoluted twists and turns there? :(

So, to answer your question? I don't know...

At least then I would have someone to blame if I do get lost again... :wink:

nice_micael
08-02-2003, 09:58 PM
[quote="bljarv"][quote=SHoTTa35] Then again, Pocket Streets is free!

quote]

Where can I download the free version all I've seen are priced!!!!!!

I would like to know this aswell!